Snipe satellite?

janandmick

Free Member
Having trouble with my Snipe TV setup. Bought van in 2012 with it already installed. Never normally watch TV, only used it twice all the time we've had it, but now we have more spare time thought it would be good to have it there if need be. Nothing wrong with the Avtex TV it's like new, but when I switch the ariel on it just keeps moving about and not doing anything. All the lights flash as well, so I can't pick a satellite. I've looked at most of the tips on the internet and even downloaded update, but it won't let me install it. It also never actually goes back to the start position, it's a couple of inches short. Any suggestions would be appreciated, or if anyone knows of a company in the Leeds/Bradford area that does repairs, then I'm happy to pay. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Try disconnecting the main power source to it it sometimes re sets itself on start up. If you haven’t already give it a clean they play up if it gets dirty. But this company should help give them a call it sounds like something simple Products

Update the software in the head unit. If it's not been done. Last year they changed the satellite settings. We had the same problem.

selfsat.com Information is at the bottom of the page

The drive motors can burn out and there is a switch that the unit rests on in the home position that can sometimes cause problems. I had trouble with mine a couple of times. On one occasion it was the coax cable the next time it was the home switch and it finally failed about a week before the 2 year guarantee ran out. No parts and not repairable so they sent me a new one FOC so I finished up with the Snipe 2 version. I still have a controller if you need one but bit concerned its not found its way back home.

They are easy enough to remove there are 8 allen bolts holding it down to an alloy plate. If you cannot get it fixed the Snipe 2 fits the same bracket.

Last edited:
As above, you need to update the satellite data for Astra 2 28.2E, transponder data has changed at least twice since 2012.

As it cannot see the old transponder data it will keep searching but never find them as no transmission so Snipe just assumes it has not found satellite.

I have a Snipe and it is easy to use and worked all the way down in Vendee

Thanks for all your advice. I HAVE tried to update the system but failed miserably, as I'm not that techy (it took me 30 mins to figure out how to post on here) I've googled as many phrases as I can think of to find a company that can sort it, but without any luck. I downloaded the update from selfsat but it just wouldn't have it, probably due to insufficient user IQ.

Avtex Ltd
Calon Point
No.1 Fountain Lane
St. Mellons Business Park
Cardiff CF3 0FE UK

T 02920 847670
E info@avtex.co.uk

Mine came from ..

acdctv
7-11 Whitecross Rd
Hereford
HR4 0DE

+44(0)1594 888 007

If you want to try another controller let me know and I will post the one I have. At least you will know which bit is wrong then. Mine has been updated. You could also try another lead from the controller to the ariel. You can just swap them as both leads have the same ends.

If you press the Red Home button it should put itself away. Cannot remember if you have to press Ok as well ..

unnamed.jpg

This is the one I have ..

Last edited:
Avtex Ltd
Calon Point
No.1 Fountain Lane
St. Mellons Business Park
Cardiff CF3 0FE UK

T 02920 847670
E info@avtex.co.uk

Mine came from ..

acdctv
7-11 Whitecross Rd
Hereford
HR4 0DE

+44(0)1594 888 007

If you want to try another controller let me know and I will post the one I have. At least you will know which bit is wrong then. Mine has been updated. You could also try another lead from the controller to the ariel. You can just swap them as both leads have the same ends.

If you press the Red Home button it should put itself away. Cannot remember if you have to press Ok as well ..

View attachment 70512

This is the one I have ..

Bit of a hijack, you wouldn’t happen to have the clip/hook spare that the controller is stored on when not in use, happy to purchase one if you have it still and don’t require it.
Cheers

For our iSat the transponder setting have changed for Astra2, but Astra1 and Hotbird have remained same, you could try either of these to see if that's the problem.

Bit of a hijack, you wouldn’t happen to have the clip/hook spare that the controller is stored on when not in use, happy to purchase one if you have it still and don’t require it.
Cheers

PM me an address and will put it in the post. I stuck mine on with velcro and it stayed put and didn't do any damage to inside of cupboard.

Thanks for that Qfour, how much do you want for the controller, I will gladly pay for it, just to narrow down the problem. I've read the instruction book and it says if you hold the red button for a few seconds then it will return to "home", but so far it hasn't worked, although it's only a couple of inches short.

Thanks for that Qfour, how much do you want for the controller, I will gladly pay for it, just to narrow down the problem. I've read the instruction book and it says if you hold the red button for a few seconds then it will return to "home", but so far it hasn't worked, although it's only a couple of inches short.

As a first step, I would suggest contacting Avtex technical support, who are excellent. Avtex distribute the Snipe in the UK.

I can post it to you and you can try it. If it doesn't work send it back. Does the unit on top of the MH do anything like rotate or is it just sitting there. If it is just sitting there doing nothing then it could be the cable. All they use is a single coax to send data to the ariel. Once it receives the info it does what it's told to do. If it's not getting the signal it will just sit there.

You could take it off the roof its only held on by allen bolts. When ours packed up we were at Watton Aire with a ferry the following morning. Once its down you can try a new cable etc. The cable is the same as the cable tv version. As it's data it doesn't matter what cable it is.

Send me a PM if you want me to put controller in the post.

Last edited:
Unlikely I know but you haven't inadvertently swooped the cables over :scared:

I did on mine once and wondered why it didn't work. They are exactly the same connector, F type IIRC.

Thanks everyone for your help. Tried all the different things, rang Avtex who told me what to do ....... but it didn't work. Rang a satellite engineer who told me they didn't do Snipe as they are rubbish. He told me to ring Avtex. He did say though that if I got really stuck and was desperate he would have a look at it for me , but couldn't promise he would be able to fix it. Think I'll go down this road and if he can't fix it I'll have to get another system. If anybody hears of one for sale (cheap) would appreciate you letting me know. Thanks once again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back