Smooth and Pimple Skinned

midnat

Hi
Could anyone tell me why some Hymers have Smooth Skin, and others have a Pimple Skin. The two I looked at were both the same year 1996

Thank You
Midnat

Hi
Could anyone tell me why some Hymers have Smooth Skin, and others have a Pimple Skin. The two I looked at were both the same year 1996

Thank You
Midnat

I think all Hymers and many other makes used to have the dimpled coachwork but it was very hard to clean and repair and ended up on just the budget models untill phased out. Although I noticed it has reared its ugly head again on Fendt caravans and even a couple of M/Hs at the N.E.C last week. I can only think that if the models you have looked at appear in both guises, then one must have been a last one of the old run, it should be reflected in a much cheaper price.

dimpled coachwork

I think all Hymers and many other makes used to have the dimpled coachwork but it was very hard to clean and repair and ended up on just the budget models untill phased out. Although I noticed it has reared its ugly head again on Fendt caravans and even a couple of M/Hs at the N.E.C last week. I can only think that if the models you have looked at appear in both guises, then one must have been a last one of the old run, it should be reflected in a much cheaper price.

I am waiting for reply off Hymer. Have been told it makes no difference, in build quality, as no effect on the price. Also stated its easy to clean with Fenwick

I am waiting for reply off Hymer. Have been told it makes no difference, in build quality, as no effect on the price. Also stated its easy to clean with Fenwick

Well they would say that wouldn't they but if you get a scrape down the side, the whole side has to be replaced.

Any motorhome with alloy sides would have to have the complete pannel replaced, weather dimpled or not. It is usually fixed on top of the damaged panel:eek:
I would immagine that they are difficult to clean and I think that Hymer did not build them for too long

You can fill and respray small scrapes on ally panels, my brother does it and it looks o.k., but he couldnt do it to a dimpled side.

I have been told that it is a bodge job and will not stay in as the alloy expands and contracts more than steel ( a cars body)
The reputable repairers always fix a new panel over the top of the existing panel
Dont think my brother would like you calling him a bodger......... like i said its only suitable for minor scrapes and filler isnt steel. and the preperation is the key.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back