Smoke Alarm

UFO

In the van we have a Fire Angel Ionisation Smoke Alarm model SI-601, fitted in 2010 with a replace-by-end date of 2020.

Usually as soon as we start cooking the alarm goes off, sometimes just boiling the kettle, which is a annoying.

Any recommendations for fire / CO2 alarms that work in the confined space of a van without being over-sensitive?

thanks

In the van we have a Fire Angel Ionisation Smoke Alarm model SI-601, fitted in 2010 with a replace-by-end date of 2020.

Usually as soon as we start cooking the alarm goes off, sometimes just boiling the kettle, which is a annoying.

Any recommendations for fire / CO2 alarms that work in the confined space of a van without being over-sensitive?

thanks

Try an optical smoke alarm instead, also make sure that itis not the steam that is setting it off as in 'rate of rise' (is it a smoke plus heat detector)

If you are 65 or over or just look like an old git, pop down to your local fire station, tell them it's for a MH and they will give you a suitable one for free.

I have a heat alarm near the kitchen area and ionisation in the wardrobe above the electrics and in the vent above the cab drop down bed I have found this works very well with only the occasional alarm going off during toast burning.

ps. also now have a central fanned vent which is put on extract when cooking which clears the fumes.

Last edited:
Paragraph below taken from here

"Optical: These are more expensive but more effective at detecting larger particles of smoke produced by slow-burning fires, such as smouldering foam-filled upholstery and overheated PVC wiring. They are marginally less sensitive to fast flaming fires. Optical alarms can be installed near (not in) kitchens, as they are less likely than ionisation alarms to go off when toast is burned."

Check out Ei 100S smoke alarm with silencer button, press the button when cooking, this silences the alarm for approx 10 minutes then resets itself as normal.

We've used one for years, I think they have a 5 year guarantee and cost around £10.00

thanks

We had a fire angel which did the same thing - not sure which model but can check later. I contacted FA by email (I think) and explained that we had no receipt as alarm came with the 'van but that because the van was less than 2 years old, alarm would be the same. FA asked me to send it back to them and issued a replacement free of charge. Have had no problems with the current one. Also, because of that excellent customer service, I was happy to buy a FA CO alarm.

CO2 alarm ?
Do you drink a lot of fizzy drinks .

Good point. Should have said CO (Carbon Monoxide) which is the result of oxygen-starved combustion in improperly ventilated fuel-burning appliances such as oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, gas ovens, gas or kerosene space heaters, fire places and wood stoves.

So to add to my original question - how many of you have smoke and CO alarms, either combined or separate. The following from Smoke Alarms « UK Fire Service Resources

There are mainly four types of smoke alarm currently on the market – ionisation, optical (also described as photo electronic), heat and combined.

Ionisation: These are the cheapest and cost very little to purchase. They are very sensitive to small particles of smoke produced by fast flaming fires, such as paper and wood, and will detect this type of fire before the smoke gets too thick. They are marginally less sensitive to slow burning and smouldering fires which give off larger quantities of smoke before flaming occurs. They can also be too over-sensitive near kitchens.

Optical: These are more expensive but more effective at detecting larger particles of smoke produced by slow-burning fires, such as smouldering foam-filled upholstery and overheated PVC wiring. They are marginally less sensitive to fast flaming fires. Optical alarms can be installed near (not in) kitchens, as they are less likely than ionisation alarms to go off when toast is burned.

Heat Alarms: They detect the increase in temperature from a fire and are insensitive to smoke. They can therefore be installed in kitchens. They only cover a relatively small area of a room, so potentially several heat alarms need to be installed in a large kitchen.

Combined Optical Smoke and Heat Alarms: Combinations of optical and heat alarms in one unit to reduce false alarms while increasing the speed of detection, a technology also called Thermoptek sensor technology.

Combined Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms: Alarms that combine both smoke detection and CO alarm protection in one ceiling-mounted unit. This reduces costs and takes up less of your living space.

I emailed Fire Angel and explained the problem and they sent me a ST-620 alarm as a replacement, this is an optical alarm with Thermoptek technology.

Just been away for a week and no false alarms.

I can recommend the ST-620 and also Fire Angel for their excellent customer service.

Given there had been yet another Co2 Death reported today perhaps not an item for joking about. A Co2 alarm costs less than £10, Aldis had them on offer recently and they seem to be reliable as I fitted 8 of them and no mumbles so far about spurious alarms.

PW

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back