Smev gas hob.

Steveboy

Free Member
Hi Wilders.
one ring on my Smev 3 burner gas hob is playing up. I have to hold the button in for over a minute before the burner will stay on and recently it has started cutting out out all of its own accord. Anyone else had this problem?
I have a couple of questions. Is changing or servicing one of these burners an easy or difficult task for a competent diy'er?
are spares available and where is the best place to get them?
Thanks Wilders in anticipation.

usual problem before you start replacing anything is a bunged up burner,Remove the top (usually 2 or 3 small screws ) and see if there's any dried debris from cleaning.

if you do need spares
Caravan Accessories | Leisureshopdirect

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wilders.
one ring on my Smev 3 burner gas hob is playing up. I have to hold the button in for over a minute before the burner will stay on and recently it has started cutting out out all of its own accord. Anyone else had this problem?
I have a couple of questions. Is changing or servicing one of these burners an easy or difficult task for a competent diy'er?
are spares available and where is the best place to get them?
Thanks Wilders in anticipation.

Hello,

My SMEV hob sometimes has similar problems; due to the thermocouple not getting warm enough to generate the electricity needed to hold the gas valve open.

Look at the flame, if the individual flames are not impinging on the thermocouple it will take a while to warm up.
To overcome this either turn the gas down a little so that the smaller flames then contact the thermocouple, or place a pan on the burner which will reflect some heat from the flames.

Should these simple changes in the ignition procedure fail, clean the thermocouple with a small brush to remove soot or other fouling.
Final course of action is to have an agent give it a service.

Regards,
Martlet.

Presuming that you have ample gas I would suspect that you may have some fouling in the burner jets. Some of the hobs have screw down covers over the burners and other just lift of. Either way I would remove the cover of the errant burner and then ensure that all the veins are clear of carbon and any other debris. If you can't get the burner cover off then you can use a thin object (like a cake tester) to ream out each of the jets. I do this with the gas burner on and ignited just so that I can see how the flame distribution is affected.

Terry

If the burner is staying lit then cutting out ,almost certain a problem with the thermocouple.

Good news is odds are the TC is not faulty but suffering a poor connection ( common issue on smev hobs in statics) check and clean connections , carefully tighten on the hob ( first job) and you may well find the problem disappears.

I have lost count where just a gentle tightening of the tc on the hob sorts out the problem

Channa

Wow! Power to Wilders and forums eh.
Thank you so much. I now know where to look and what to do.

Mine is not a smev but a spinflo and occasionally does the same lights but then goes out behind the knobs is a small nut that comes loose tighten it and it stays lit but the nut wares loose I will get s spanner that fits one day.

Smev not worth it

I had a Smev 4 ring in my camper, and I reckon total crap. It more or less fell apart, and they wanted £650 just to buy the replacement same model. So bought a 2 ring plus grill Dometic from Highbridge Caravans ar £200, and had it professionally fitted, at total cost £250........never looked back........steve Bristol

Mine is not a smev but a spinflo and occasionally does the same lights but then goes out behind the knobs is a small nut that comes loose tighten it and it stays lit but the nut wares loose I will get s spanner that fits one day.
excellent advice, that and my nut holding the tc first things to check.

Someone also mentioned removing the burner cap and skirt to clear any grunge, worth doing too once in a while I have known hobs not light because of water from pans getting where you don't want it.

the fact the hob is lighting staying lit and then going out makes me think it is not the tc they normally just fail , more likely one of the nuts working loose

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back