Smev 3 ring hob suddenly burning yellow enough to set off CO alarm

Derekoak

What can have changed? For 2 months here in Norway notch 1 on a midi heki is enough ventilation even with no wind. Now it is not. We did refill with lpg 3 weeks ago.
It is mostly on the 2kw ring rather than the 2x 1.2kw rings, so I feel the lpg is not the problem but of course the bigger ring uses more gas.

Got to be something affecting the gas/air balance. Anything shifted under the hob?

Cheers

H

It’s caused by incomplete combustion of the gas, which in turn leads to an increase of CO2. Here’s a video showing what you should do.

I took 2 burners apart cleaned them, put them back together, they are much better, permanent yellow flame tips are gone. There are some yellow flashes which I think are just disturbed dust, then those cleared and the CO monitor is quiet again. There was not anything very obvious blocking the air inlets, but some dust and perhaps rust particles. The jets looked OK. Thanks everyone.

What can have changed? For 2 months here in Norway notch 1 on a midi heki is enough ventilation even with no wind. Now it is not. We did refill with lpg 3 weeks ago.
It is mostly on the 2kw ring rather than the 2x 1.2kw rings, so I feel the lpg is not the problem but of course the bigger ring uses more gas.
Lpg can be hard to find in norway, the one time we filled up in norway led to taking on contaminated gas and an expensive new regulator. Sprinkle salt near or on the burner and it will burn yellow, park near an angry sea and they can burn yellow. Have you spilt something on that burner or left some cleaning chemical on it maybe.

Lpg can be hard to find in norway, the one time we filled up in norway led to taking on contaminated gas and an expensive new regulator. Sprinkle salt near or on the burner and it will burn yellow, park near an angry sea and they can burn yellow. Have you spilt something on that burner or left some cleaning chemical on it maybe.
http://www.lpgnorge.no/stasjonsoversikt/ was quoted to me by one of my Norwegian relatives, haven’t used it myself so don’t know how accurate it is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back