Smelly 'van

• Thread starter Deleted member 12539
  • Start date

Deleted member 12539

After a week of the 'van sat on our driveway I took it for a short drive for the day, but after a couple of miles there was a 'drain' smell coming from the main sink.
I stopped the smell immediately by putting the plug in the sink.
How can I stop this smell without having to put the plug in?
Is there something I could put in the trap?

Hi Beemer
i think this is a common problem , just make sure after every trip that you drain your gray water , Mrs wilthebeast then adds a little bleach and water down the sink to stand untill we are ready for our next trip and then empty , but i must admit we always travel with the main plug in .
All the best.

Assuming the waste tank is empty, put a two litre bottle of Coke partially down the sink , shower and wash basin drains. Take the van for a drive (few miles) to "swish" the mixture about a bit then drain the tank again. You may need to do it again with a stronger solution including perhaps some disinfectant, but the Coke is always a first step.

Tco

Thanks for you answers.... we might try the small bleach and leave to stand, til next use.
It was quite embarrassing the first time this happened as we wanted to show relatives our new aquisition a week after a weekend away. The 'van started to smell and we could not initially find out where it was coming from, but thinking it could only be the loo, we purchased different 'smelly' additions, but it still smelled.
Eventually we discovered the cause and the part cure (stick the plug in).;)

Alternatively get some steradent and put that down everything that feeds into your grey water tank. Take for a drive to swish it all about empty. Repeat as necessary - 2-4 times should do the trick. We do this every year with our fresh water pipes to sterilise them, then run a couple of tanks full through the pipes before using it for drinking etc....

Like the Coke idea though - I know Coke dissolves lots of nassty deposits and is potent stuff (look what it does to a tooth if immersed in Coke for a week - nearly dissolves it!)

Don't do what my friend did-forget to empty the tank during a very warm spell (at the time on 3 month tour of europe in their VW California) for at least 10 days. Then drive over 300 miles-really stir it up. Then question what their youngest child has been eating-hence the smell from the nappy? At a service station took a while to work out it was not poor child but the tank-YUK!

I use bio washing liquid in mine a couple of cap fulls, then put the plugs in.

This is often caused by driving with the driver's window open. This creates a negative pressure inside the vehicle and especially if there are no water traps between the sink/basin/shower and the tank (or the traps have dried out), air is sucked through the grey tank via the tank vent opening into the van.

Running a little water into each of the traps will help and putting the plugs in will stop it entirely. If your shower has no plug then the drain can be blocked with a universal plug or a piece of flat rubber or vinyl.

It isn't always possible to empty a grey tank and the hassles of going to a lot of trouble to keep it clean enough that it doesn't smell at all is just not worth the effort. It is a waste tank after all so just make filling the traps and inserting the plugs part of your pre-flight check. Save the Coke for mixing with Bundaberg Rum.

BTW some MHs don't have water traps but have a mechanical valve devices instead. This eventually clogs up or freezes in the open position and gives the same problems as a dry water trap. Easily replaced and not expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is often caused by driving with the driver's window open.

Running a little water into each of the traps will help and putting the plugs in will stop it entirely.

It isn't always possible to empty a grey tank and the hassles of going to a lot of trouble to keep it clean enough that it doesn't smell at all is just not worth the effort.

i drive with the window open a lot of the time (I am also a motorcyclist) and like the fresh air.
Will be checking for water in the traps and keeping the plugs in now.
I do not want the hassle of emptying tank and/ or 'swishing' it with stuff. I always empty my wastes when we get home, but I am sure there is residue left in.
thanks for all your suggestions for my problem, which, it seems is a common one.

Another possibility is to dissolve a few dishwasher tablets in hot water, when they have dissolve pour down the sink. Do this before setting off and then use grey water tank as usual and do not empty until returning home or after some distance, the tablets will clean the inside of tank. I find this works for me !

Thanks for all the suggestions! We are new to this, and have the same problem. Like the suggestion of the better use the coke could be put to!! Will have to try and see if we can stop it, as it IS embarrassing if you have visitors. (Derek usually gets the blame thanks to his Metformin!)

i use a piece of flat rubber to lie across the plug holes or shower tray. its actually a universal sink plug blocker you can get themin pound shops with an assortment of tap rubber push on connectors good for that hand wash basin use a short piece of hose to fill your 20ltr containers .

What you smelt was probably caused by the U bend drying out and the grey tank venting up the plug hole - I've had this from the shower as we don't use it very often.

As recommended on here, add a crushed bio washing tablet to each sink, flush down with a kettle of v.hot water and drive around with the solution in the tank for a few days... then drain. Hey Presto no smells!!!

Bugs can double there numbers every 20 mins so one bug becomes over a hundred in 24 hrs. All the above should work but the thing is you have to what ever you do regularly. Personaly I flush with a 1 in 5 solution of bleach. You dont need much just enough to wet the inside of pipes and tank.

Bugs can double there numbers every 20 mins so one bug becomes over a hundred in 24 hrs. All the above should work but the thing is you have to what ever you do regularly. Personaly I flush with a 1 in 5 solution of bleach. You dont need much just enough to wet the inside of pipes and tank.

If your sink is stainless, according to my Autosleeper's manual, bleach is a no-no as it cause cause perforation to the sink...I#m assuming they are talking of neat bleach and not a well diluted solution.

i dont know why manufacturers dont put u bends in all wastewater systems
I made one myself and fitted it under my van ( then found cak tanks sell them ) .
Also after a hilly journey i found my shower tray filled with waste water so i fitted a 'click clack' plug which you press down to open ( and it pops up to let water escape ..and down again to close. ...problem solved

i dont know why manufacturers dont put u bends in all wastewater systems
I made one myself and fitted it under my van ( then found cak tanks sell them ) .
Also after a hilly journey i found my shower tray filled with waste water so i fitted a 'click clack' plug which you press down to open ( and it pops up to let water escape ..and down again to close. ...problem solved

Is the Click Clack plug the UK fitting? Just been looking on ebay to see what they cost, and wondered if the UK one will fit our Lunar Roadstar? Haven't done any proper travelling with it yet, and don't want to be awash with waste water when we do!!

Mary & Derek

Is the Click Clack plug the UK fitting? Just been looking on ebay to see what they cost, and wondered if the UK one will fit our Lunar Roadstar? Haven't done any proper travelling with it yet, and don't want to be awash with waste water when we do!!

Mary & Derek

i got mine out of the cheap box at b&q, a couple of quid i think ....i had to modify it , i am a chef , not a plumber , but it works better than the original set up

After emptying the grey waste tank, make up a solution of Bio washing powder and water in a cup and pour it down the sink, stops all smells starting.

Peter

If your sink is stainless, according to my Autosleeper's manual, bleach is a no-no as it cause cause perforation to the sink...I#m assuming they are talking of neat bleach and not a well diluted solution.

I have no damage to my sink but the smell comes from the drainage pipe and tank. The aim of bleach is to sterilise them. You will never manage to do this perfectly so there will always be some bugs left therefore no method will work perfectly. If you are worried use bio soap powder which uses enzmes to brake down organic matter. I find bleach simpler easier and quicker thats all. Whatever you do, do it regularly and you will flush the bacteria out. Septic tank is a possable a different storey. See posts by Vwalan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back