slip matt from bread tray

novice1968

got hold of 2x bread trays at last, What is the best way of cutting the edges off I have got a chain saw but wondering if the plastic would damage the chain??? How did you make up yours Any suggestions /advices Many thanks

Exactly my question.....wtf is that all about ( in a polite way I mean)?

Swamp mats for wet grass.;

maudieandruby062.jpg

m_e014aa49cf1031dc6125fc267e3e0a68.jpg

Bakers bread trays are meant to make great slip matts, cut the sides off and then cut the base into two or three lengths, ideal size to park your wheels on. Apparently better than many shop bought slip matts.

You use them to help get more grip to get you off wet grass, mud and other nasty ground. The cut-up bread trays work quite well and are a damn sight cheaper than the plastic "mats" that the off-road crowd are using. The plastic mats are similar to PSP but won't give you a hernia trying to move them
There is also King Grip track It looks a good thing but I've never tried it and it does cost nearly £40
The Grip Tracks from Fiamma I think must have been designed by Satan when he was feeling particularly spiteful :D

Why are you hacking up 2 tea trays to make a slip matt?

Not tea trays but the bread trays that bakeries use to deliver bulk bread to shops etc.

As others say, ideal for using in grassy areas to prevent MH sinking in and/or assisting in removal of MH when already stuck.

Best thing since sliced bread!!!!!

sorry couldnt resist

As a frequent rallier and wilder theses are essential items to use on soft grass..we dont cut them coz they spread the weight much better if left whole.

Best thing since sliced bread!!!!!

sorry couldnt resist

As a frequent rallier and wilder theses are essential items to use on soft grass..we dont cut them coz they spread the weight much better if left whole.

For the same reason I just thought that it will spread the weight better, but being new to MH (virgin trip this w/end to stratford) but I am open minded to accept advices if I should cut the base up into two/three.

For the same reason I just thought that it will spread the weight better, but being new to MH (virgin trip this w/end to stratford) but I am open minded to accept advices if I should cut the base up into two/three.
by don't cut ?? he means leave base in one only cut sides off and leave them flat,they are cheap enough to buy:eek::D four

Now thats a good idea, I wonder if I could find a way of storing them under my Ducato?
Just for your info the off road people have the expensive thick ones as they use them for bridging ditches etc, very good but not cheap at about £40 a pair.

I use the ex breadtrays whenever parking on grass to spread the weight and limit sinking. The best way I've found to cut the sides off is a standard handsaw.

Mind you even with them under the wheels we had trouble digging a mate out of soft sand on a recent rally in France. Luckily Nomad and his tow rope came to the rescue:)

Best thing was afterwards was watching a bunch of scutters going thru the sand looking for any change that had been dropped :D

Hi
i also use bread trays for the wheels and ive also converted one to make a guard to stop the dog getting out of the van.
I used a jigsaw to cut them down , very easy to do.
regards
mickymoor

It might be wise to cut off any markings on the trays re there ownership.

baldrick.jpg

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back