Sleeping in your car - Scarborough

They do here, old mate now dead was drunk sleeping in the back seat of his car in the grounds of the ulster polytec Newtownabbey, he lost his licence for one year, police in court and judge said its a public place, and yes he had the keys in his pocket, so drunk in charge.

That’s harsh.

The only time I slept in a car with a drink inside me was due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn’t drunk but I never drive after 1 pint, so I unlocked the car went back in the pub, gave the landlord my keys and went back to the car. As agreed he woke me at 07:30 with a cup of tea.

That’s harsh.

The only time I slept in a car with a drink inside me was due to circumstances beyond my control, I wasn’t drunk but I never drive after 1 pint, so I unlocked the car went back in the pub, gave the landlord my keys and went back to the car. As agreed he woke me at 07:30 with a cup of tea.

I've done similar Kev.

That’s harsh.

Thats what some folk do here, hand the keys to the barman & either walk home/bus taxi and collect the car later or get someone else to collect it.
For those that dont know, we always had a harsh policing here, softened a bit now since psni revamp from the RUC of old.

Actually Trevs right, being Drunk and asleep in the back seat is an offence (drunk in charge) however if your in a car park and not on the street I would think that the Old Bill wouldn’t be likely to take any action unless they actually wanted you for something else.
Technically yes . Certainly harder to prove you had no intention of driving in a car .
This subject does come up every now and then . Someone, many years ago , cited a case that actually went to court. It was tossed out immediately

I thought it was a grey area sleeping in a mh under the influence of drink if the bed was made and curtains closed? Being in pj's would probably help too.

I thought it was a grey area sleeping in a mh under the influence of drink if the bed was made and curtains closed? Being in pj's would probably help too.
It’s not the grey area that some believe.

The charge is drunk in charge. The only statutory defence is to prove that you had no intention of driving the vehicle while over the legal limit to drive. If you can do that then you will have established a defence to the charge. But it’s not an automatic defence that the bed is made and curtains drawn.

Back