Sleeping in your car - Scarborough

Rosey t

Free Member
Hi, does anyone know the regulations for sleeping in your car in Scarborough?
Thanks

I notice as iv said many times, if drunk or been drinking you can be had, even if not at the wheel, classed as drunk in charge, so folks dont be boozing in the camper in a public car park or layby.

I do it regularly Trev.

Julie is insured to drive the van and she doesn't drink. 🙂
Not a problem if she has the keys rob, my uncle got done many years back in bangor co down, he was stopped walking back to the car but had the keys which is classed as drunk in charge, you play safe. (y)

Actually Trevs right, being Drunk and asleep in the back seat is an offence (drunk in charge) however if your in a car park and not on the street I would think that the Old Bill wouldn’t be likely to take any action unless they actually wanted you for something else.

Slept in our car once, at Morecambe. Parked at the front. No B&Bs or hotels had rooms. Think we tried them all.
We’d a Renault Laguna. Wasn’t the comfiest sleep. No one bothered us.

Actually Trevs right, being Drunk and asleep in the back seat is an offence (drunk in charge) however if your in a car park and not on the street I would think that the Old Bill wouldn’t be likely to take any action unless they actually wanted you for something else.
They do here, old mate now dead was drunk sleeping in the back seat of his car in the grounds of the ulster polytec Newtownabbey, he lost his licence for one year, police in court and judge said its a public place, and yes he had the keys in his pocket, so drunk in charge.

Only did it once over 30 years ago in an MGB soft top, on holiday to Cornwall there was a really really thick fog, so bad we couldn’t find the caravan site so we found ourselves in a tiny lane and all we could hear was the foghorn from trevone lighthouse in the distance so we carried on and next morning woke to see the lighthouse about 50 yards off and we were on a cliff edge about a yard from the drop.

Back