Skye and the Highlands

Caz

I have a camping friend who lives on Skye and has asked for some advice/info, as follows:

There's been a bit of discussion/planning going on locally re the phenomenal rise in tourism due to online (often irresponsible) marketing of remote places on Skye and Highland in general. The issues are that the environment is suffering because the infrastructure (roads, parking, toilets,cafes etc) is unable to cope with the sheer volume of traffic.
Up here there are no facs for chemical disposal and most establishments have septic tanks. We are having a real problem with human and chemical waste disposal in the environment and are trying to come up with solutions that we can propose to the council or get grants for like composting toilets etc.

I know you guys wild camp - my question is how do you dispose of waste? Are campsites willing to let you use their facs if you don't stay there? Is there a network of stops for water/waste disposal? Is there any advice/procedure publicised on campervan/motor home forums for waste disposal when wild camping?
Any info would be really useful - links, comments, advice given, awareness etc etc 😊👍🏼
Many thanks in anticipation 😁

I just wild 2/3 days then onto a site for a night or longer if the fancy takes me. Empty waste, fill up with water and it's nice to have a proper shower. I have used sites for just waste emptying and always offer to pay. On more than one occasion the owner wouldn't accept any money. Some C&CC club sites have a motorhome stopover facility allowing you to empty waste, fill up with water and use the site facilities. They charge approx £7.00.
Some members appear to view sites as evil and would never use them, they will hopefully post how they dispose of their waste.
On the subject of Skye, I have friends living near Dunvegan. They have mentioned that this year they have seen more motorhomes than in any year since they moved to Skye 8 years ago.

We are currently on the western isles. All the ferry terminals have toilet disposal and water points which is brilliant. The best way to take money off motorhomers is by selling local produce , smokehouses, fish, local meat etc, local craft shops and museums

I can't speak for others on this forum but this is how I deal with the issues your friend raises while I'm wild camping.

1. Fresh water: I usually get this at petrol stations which sometimes have a free tap. The Wild Camping POIs list the location of other taps which are also a good source.

2. Toilet waste: I have a SOG system on my toilet so I do not use any chemicals. I empty my cassette in public toilets. Once again the Wild Camping POIs give public toilet locations. I always make sure that I leave the toilet as clean or cleaner than I found it.

3. Waste water: I try to dump this as unobtrusively as possible. Maybe on a grass verge or down a storm drain. I always try to do this when others are not watching as it could easily be misinterpreted as dumping sewage which might contribute to giving wild campers a bad name!

Wild 2 or 3 nights then goto a site for showers etc..

Last edited:
We carry two toilet cassettes and if use public toilets if possible, failing that book into a CL or equivalent for a night.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back