Ski Scotland

MOJO

Free Member
Has anyone camped and ski in Scotland before. What was it like and can you share where to camp.

Agree but as we want six nights on a set date can we risk no spaces.

Agree but as we want six nights on a set date can we risk no spaces.
In that case Braemar is definitely closest to Glenshee, just 3 or 4 miles. If you don't need EHU though, there is plenty of space in the large parking areas.

Yeah I often stay at glenshee over night in the van during ski season. Ehu fine during the week, busy fri/sat if good snow and weather. Just remember it can be very cold
-8 and bleak often very windy.

Has anyone camped and ski in Scotland before. What was it like and can you share where to camp.
We've used the pitches with EHU in Glencoe and that worked out fine. Mind you it was later in the year so not as cold as it could have been in the middle of winter. As always with Scottish skiing, you'll only know a very short time beforehand if you're going to get any skiing at all. We live close enough that we can decide the night before and drive up early the next morning! Unless you're relatively beginner skiiers, or have family who are, most of the Scottiash resorts only merit a day or two each.

Has the Aviemore funicular been re-instated..
I suspect not ...........................no funds as yet and time to actually repair/replace it ?

Has the Aviemore funicular been re-instated..
I suspect not ...........................no funds as yet and time to actually repair/replace it ?
This BBC article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-52774346) says that Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) who own the railway have had a planning application to do the repairs, which have to be done in an "eco-sensitive" way because of the environmental significance of the mountain, approved.
Costs are currently estimated at £10m, but HIE still need the Scottish Government to approve the cost. In view of the likely financial state of most public bodies after COVID-19 it seems unlikely that the finds will be forthcoming any time soon...
HIE have also said that they need to complete a business case to see if it's worth doing at all.
This article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-53078212) says that the cost is now likely to be over £15m. OTOH it's estimated it would cost over £13m to demolish it instead!

Thanks @GrahamPye
It would seem they need to spend the £13m to demolish anyway.
so why not spend £15m and get something useful.
Having ski-ied there once the railway is needed for ski-ing
It is also an all year attraction for reasons X Y Z etc
The longernthey wait the more it will cost !
I will charge them a modest 1% for my advice :unsure: ;)

Thanks @GrahamPye
It would seem they need to spend the £13m to demolish anyway.
so why not spend £15m and get something useful.
Having ski-ied there once the railway is needed for ski-ing
It is also an all year attraction for reasons X Y Z etc
The longernthey wait the more it will cost !
I will charge them a modest 1% for my advice :unsure: ;)
The funicular should never have been put in in the first place. Something that needs dug out when it snows is kinda defeating the purpose. A Gondola should have been installed in the first place. Lots of mistakes have been made at Cairngorm by narrow minded ski snobs. Building a World Cup mountain bike track like Fort William could have saved the hill but the skiers couldn’t have that on their hill🤬

The funicular should never have been put in in the first place. Something that needs dug out when it snows is kinda defeating the purpose. A Gondola should have been installed in the first place. Lots of mistakes have been made at Cairngorm by narrow minded ski snobs. Building a World Cup mountain bike track like Fort William could have saved the hill but the skiers couldn’t have that on their hill🤬
You're right - unless it's an all year round attraction then it's never going to be profitable. The situation where you could go up the railway but not leave the building in the summer was ridiculous. I'm a skiier and I wouldn't have objected to a MTB track.

HIE say that they're going to consult locals before they proceed so perhaps they will implement a sensible solution - but I'm not holding my breath...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back