Six nights Sussex South Downs

UFO

Just back from six nights on the South Downs. Our first night in the van since December as we were in Australia for Christmas and New Year. It was wonderful and all in spendid isolation in more ways than one, apart from a visit to Littlehampton for take away fish and chips.

All CRs and places that we have been before, all with great views. Who can identify the five locations? Photos 3 & 4 are off the same spot.
Night 1 & 2.jpgNight 3.jpgNight 4a.jpgNight 4b.jpgNight 5.jpgNight 6.jpg

No1 is next to Stane St just to the west of Bignor hill. The last one from memory might be Kithurst hill just SE of Storrington. I feel like I recognise them all but it's quite a few years since I've been anywhere near the SDW.

No1 is next to Stane St just to the west of Bignor hill.
It's Bignor Hill at the end of the steep rough track. A bit of a challenge to get to, once there we stay for 2 nights for the views and the walks.

The last one from memory might be Kithurst hill just SE of Storrington. I feel like I recognise them all but it's quite a few years since I've been anywhere near the SDW.
We have been to Storrington, but not this time.

Just back from six nights on the South Downs. Our first night in the van since December as we were in Australia for Christmas and New Year. It was wonderful and all in spendid isolation in more ways than one, apart from a visit to Littlehampton for take away fish and chips.

All CRs and places that we have been before, all with great views. Who can identify the five locations? Photos 3 & 4 are off the same spot.
View attachment 84490View attachment 84491View attachment 84492View attachment 84493View attachment 84494View attachment 84495
I am glad to see that the Bignor Hill site is still available but the access road is very steep, narrow and rough and I just managed to climb it 3 years ago. I stayed one night but no more in view of the snide remarks from early morning dog walkers.

I am glad to see that the Bignor Hill site is still available but the access road is very steep, narrow and rough and I just managed to climb it 3 years ago. I stayed one night but no more in view of the snide remarks from early morning dog walkers.

Yes, 'very steep, narrow and rough' describes the track well and it has been getting rougher since we first went there in September 2011. Since then we have spent 16 nights there, typically 2 nights at a time as it's not easy to get to so once there it's worth staying. Never had anything but friendly conversations with other people there. There is plenty of space and only on a couple of occassions has there been another van there overnight.

Are these on the poi's? I can't find them and they look lovely.

Yes, all current POIs Photo 1 = Bignor Hill, see previous post. 2 = Chantry Hill, 3 & 4 = Cissbury Ring, 5 = Devil's Dyke, 6= Beeding Hill. All apart from Devil's Dyke are accessed down narrow roads and the parking areas are rough ground, some with limited level areas and longer vans may have problems parking without taking up a number of spaces. They are all busy in the daytime and quiet at night. The Devils Dyke entrance is on a curve which we can just about manage in our 6m PVC.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back