??? showers

Back from a 3 month trip to Spain and Italy. We showered daily when we came off the beach (no shampoo allowed). Some beaches have proper showers where you can use shampoo and soap. We got all the water we needed from the foot showers, for washing up, washing clothes and keeping the MH clean. Bottled water in 5 and 8 litres containers was for drinking and cooking. We bought 5 x 5 litres of drinking water from Eroski. From then on we kept refilling them from beach bars, restuarants and a couple of times from private homes. Just knocked on the door and asked, no problem. One couple even asked us in to eat but we thanked them and politely retreated.

showers are great fot those who use them
but the point i was trying to make is that there is no choice
all new motorhomes come with a shower fitted as standard no choice
and for some the extra the storage space would be more usefull

t&s

Could always do a modifcationon on one, change the shower for large storage area ,would not be to difficult.The solar shower bags are good for the odd occasion as long as we have the sun.As hilly said, nice to jump in the loch when possible.

We spent 7 months travelling last year and I cant remember a situation where water became critical........ and we showered every day. We bought drinking water and only used tank water for washing.

The more remote the area the easier it became to get water. Tank water came from a variety of sources - village taps/pumps, streams, rivers, waterfalls, lakes, roadside water troughs. We had a hose with different fittings to cope with most situations, a funnel to fit onto the end of the hose for filling from streams or waterfalls, a watering can with a bit of rope for any other situation.

Emptying a toilet is harder to do than finding water.

Only one really bad batch of water in Portugal which stank of sulphur and we had to drain and flush the tank a couple of times to get rid of the smell.

Whether showers are essential - for us yes. I've showered every morning for most of my life and just dont feel right until I've got what remains of my hair wet. If there is no shower I just use a saucepan of water and a cup and pour it over me.

As for using lakes - I tried a Norwegian one last year and it was about 1/2" cold and I needed two hot showers to be able to function again!!

That's what I call wild camping. Make do with what you got and what you can get out of nature.

We spent 7 months travelling last year and I cant remember a situation where water became critical........ and we showered every day. We bought drinking water and only used tank water for washing.

The more remote the area the easier it became to get water. Tank water came from a variety of sources - village taps/pumps, streams, rivers, waterfalls, lakes, roadside water troughs. We had a hose with different fittings to cope with most situations, a funnel to fit onto the end of the hose for filling from streams or waterfalls, a watering can with a bit of rope for any other situation.

Emptying a toilet is harder to do than finding water.

Only one really bad batch of water in Portugal which stank of sulphur and we had to drain and flush the tank a couple of times to get rid of the smell.

Whether showers are essential - for us yes. I've showered every morning for most of my life and just dont feel right until I've got what remains of my hair wet. If there is no shower I just use a saucepan of water and a cup and pour it over me.

As for using lakes - I tried a Norwegian one last year and it was about 1/2" cold and I needed two hot showers to be able to function again!!

Well put and good on you to improvise in most situations:cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back