they take up a lot of space dont they
surley a good strip wash is enough till you get home or go on a site
ime just curious as to why you cant seem to find a new motorhome without one

these are the days of over-indulgance in everything
from political correctness to hygene
when we were kids, we had a bath once a week
(whether we needed one or not) :eek: :eek:

Never use them keeps the midges away ;)

solar showers are ok from just kampers , But a bucket and a flannel is just as good :D

Last edited:
Once a week, goodness you must have been dirty, we had one once a MONTH. Nowadays the shower is great, just the job for washing mucky dogs, hanging wet clothes and if we go away for more than three weeks having a shower.:D:D:D

a shower while campin, c'mon just jump in a loch that will wake yi up ..

Had the van 19mths... used the shower once!!
We visit a site about every 3rd day to empty loo, refill with water and have a shower, I don't think our water (132ltrs) would last very long if we used the shower as often as we use a flanel.

Our Winnebago had a HUGE water tank and a domestic size shower and that shower DID get used every day!

To me, the shower sells me the van, the bigger the better. I never use site facilities, I like to get up and straight into the shower. I have a navy shower ( turn on for a quick swirl, then turn off, lather up, then turn on to rinse off) that uses about 3 to 4 litres max and I enter the world refreshed, no queing for what could be a mingers left over. If they stop putting showers in vans :eek:NO WAY would I buy another. They used to put coal in the bath before they became a neccesity, so if you don't use the shower, use it as a shed!

In the past we showered too much.:confused: A few years ago the boiler wouldn't start.
Then I realised how much gas and water we were spilling.(why heating up 2O l water if you only use 2 ?) Now I put the kettle on for washing up the dishes; only use the shower when it gets too smelly.:eek: I don't like campings but they all have showers, so we drop in now and then for a night and have a shower. (when you add it all up we economize) And a good swim in a Scandinavian lake is wonderful (and chilly) :rolleyes:

I use mine even if were only away over night, infact at home I only have a bath so I have been known to go down to my van for a shower :)

we have put a false floor in our van to make more room for the loo the shower tray is still there but for a night or two away a good strip wash suffices if we need a shower we use services ones in and out or go to a local swimming pool and have a swim a shower proper job :D:D

Cant understand why have a shower in the m/h and then not use it:(
You have paid for it you know:rolleyes: and you won't go rusty:D:D
Even in my International trucking days my mates & I usually managed to get a shower somewhere and that was one of the things that we liked about mainland Europe.:cool:
We could find showers while here in the UK, they were few and far apart.:eek:
Because it uses precious water and gas, no a problem if on a site but crucial if wilding.

Agree muchly Graham, The first thing I do at home, after putting the Kettle on is to get in the shower, It wakes me up, makes me feel good and ready for the day ahead. I do the same in my M/H and appreciate it even more. I used to run Adventure tours, by Coach all over Europe, mid East and Scandinavia/ USSR, and some of the showers (as we were camping) were absolutely MINGING>>>>> so I appreciate My nice clean ablutions. I also caught an Horrendous dose of foot rot, that took months to get sorted..... THREE CHEERS FOR THE >>>>>>> M/H....... S.....H.....O....W...E....R:p

seeing i started this ile add my feelings .
showers take up valuable space in a motorhome and can cause condensation or damp odours to occour in other areas without being noticed imediatly
(that is why we try to cook as much as poss outside)
for me a strip wash keeps you clean and dont use much water ,if i ever deemed it nessary to have a shower there are public showers and all sites nowadays have showers pay for a site once in a while if you feel the need to use a shower but also think of the cost,of using the one in the van! ,quite high i think.
also do people actualy use the hot water systems in there vans it must cost a fortune in gas,
i have bypassed the water heater so it dont work to heat water if we need to use the blown air for heating the van we still can although for heating if on a on a site we use a greenhouse heater with a frost setting
a kettle of hot water is enough hot water for us.
i personaly think to many showers or to much swimming deprive your body of its natrual oils and bacteria(some one has got to deny this)
to confuse matters even more why are showers fitted to all new motorhomes they must have done a market survey to deem it is required by most purchacers
surely there should be a choice

Even when on a site if the showers are a bit scabby then I use my own shower:D or am a I snob, I think it is down to choice and it is nice to have
one:D Also think if you have brought it use it:D

i think you are forced to have all the goodies eg showers even though you might not require them i havent seen a new motorhome the size of ours without a shower have you ?
i think the option of having a toilet or a toilet and shower should be an option on a new motorhome
i dont have any opinion on how any one should wash so long as they dont stink

change of subject may be motorhome and also truck manufactures dont seem to consider in there design any sort of slipstreaming or fuel economy motorhomes makers could incorperate the don burr tear drop idea as an ad on for the roof? it would cover up the ugly aireals and dishes it might look quite good also
may be a bonus for you to put the idea forward to your firm and they sell it ?

for us that would be around 4 mpg quite a saving on a long trip
for a truck ? what dose yours do mpg wise nowadays 8 ?

And my tractor is around 6.5 ton

not much improvment in fuel comsumption from years back you would have thought the engine makers would have come up with some gizmo to make em do more mpg by now

Showers

We use are shower a lot, suppose it depends on what activties you do when out.Our autostratus had a double shower toilet compartment,was large ,the earlier model had a extra wardrobe instead.Times change and people want different so the altered it ,on the later models.Do miss it on wet days,handy to hang coats all up in.

The shower in our Hymer Camp 55 gets used regularly. We wouldn't consider a motorhome that didn't have a shower fitted, in fact, if I could make one single major alteration to our Hymer, it would be an increase in size of the shower/toilet room at the expense of some of the bench-seat. My ideal would be a separate shower room.

We have a dinette that seats 4 and a bench seat that will comfortably seat 3, there's only two of us and even if there were four of us we still wouldn't need all that seating space so my question is this... why don't all motorhome manufacturers provide us with better shower facilities i.e. more space in which to shower, rather than providing us with an excess of seating space?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back