selling up and living in a motorhome

jarvo

do people ever do this ? sell there house, and car, buy a motor home and live on the land , no poll tax, no mortgage, no water rates, wild camping most of the time and use hook up when needed, travel all over UK and abroad . Sounds good to me, also my in-laws have a large plot of land to the side of there house could i live on this ?

Yes they do, I sold my UK house at the top of the market 2 years back and have just sold my French house too, I am now officially homeless or a nomad depending how you look at it. I have some money invested in a bond to top up the pension and some in cash ready to buy in the UK again when the markets right. We're doing fine, just touring Brittany at the moment staying free most days on aires and weekends on sites to do the washing/cleaning etc, I thoroughly recommend it, the best feeling is not being responsible for anything except the day to day bits and looking after the dogs.

Why not we did it 7 years ago.Ended up buying in Spain it is now time to do the same thing again.

We are moving out on the 8th April, put our furniture etc in store, so we are in the M/H from Wed night, not sure for how long, have to wait and see, a little nervous but also very excited.

Tom

Good Luck Tom....I would also do it if I could..but too much 'baggage ' at the moment. Go for it!! Live the dream, but be sure you have 'plan No. 2'..just in case. :D

we have

not sold but rented we move out friday new tenants move in on saturday .(mortgage payed off ),on a one year let or if all's well who knows.
we have some money saved and are hoping the rent will do the rest.

council tax water rates electric gas and all that are no more for us .
we may turn left or right thats the most stress that we need .

Just registered, Ive been full timing for 3 years now, as a retired fireman my pension just goes in the bank and I can get it anywhere, even abroad. Sold the house, gave my grown up daughters some of the money, and bought a Hymer E690 tag axle. It carries everything I need, and like the previous poster said, no council tax,water rates or any other bills.(except for my living expenses, ie Insurance, veh tax, site fees, etc) Which is still a lot cheaper than stayin put!

Me too !! got rid of everything, including the wife !!! happy days all over europe !!!!:D :D :D :D

seperated from wife on Chrismas Eve, slept at friends until i had a bit of cash, bought a 26 foot caravan and live in it now full time. £50 a week on a camp site includes electric, move around when and where I like. Free spirit.
Loving every minute of it

were abouts do you stop ?
do you work or live off the dole money ?
were do you fill water tanks up?
intresting thread

were abouts do you stop ?
do you work or live off the dole money ?
were do you fill water tanks up?
intresting thread

I am retired and recieve a pension. I stop sometimes at camping and caravanning sites, sometimes wild camp, you can get water anywhere, garages, motorway services or u just ask. The longer u do it the more u learn. Thoroughly recommended!

that sounds great , id like to do it when i finish work, me the wife and the dog , no bills thanks for the replys , what a life
regards jarvo

A lot of people do it in the USA. They roam the country for most of the year and head south in the winter.
A few years ago we were on holiday in California in January and went to this 'town' Tecopa, on the edge of Death Valley. Except it wasnt a town as such, just a gigantic settlement of wintering motorhome people. It had grown up around some hot springs in the middle of the desert. There were a few permanent buildings - store, bar, laundry etc but few permanent residents. Just acres of mostly retired people in motorhomes - all types - gigantic Winnebagos, converted artics with trailers, converted army trucks, loads of vintage airstream caravans.
Interesting place!

Wife and I sold our house toward the end of last year, I went Germany and picked up a motorhome, which we love and we are currently nomads, loving every minute of it. Cant see me ever going back to "normality" :)

I always fancied a narrowboat but it costs as much as a vehicle to run now.
Be careful to define between fulltiming and new age traveller/gipsy etc.

in a way it is new age traveling
but alot cleaner
alot more respect for people
no knicking every 5 mins
and take rubbish away not leave it

im just about to buy a big van and convert it out me self
so very intrested in this thread

in a way it is new age traveling
but alot cleaner
alot more respect for people
no knicking every 5 mins
and take rubbish away not leave it

im just about to buy a big van and convert it out me self
so very intrested in this thread

chopper just a small point!!!!!new age travellers ain't none of what you state above!!!!!!!!!friends of mine are nat's and i've been introduced to a new world!!!!!!!!!!people who want to be left alone and do respect others so long as its returned!!as with any type of people there are exceptions!! i too am a wild camper (self built convoy,runnin' on veg oil and solar charging), but also enjoy having an house and not long sold a thriving business,i don't nick,leave rubbish,disrespect unless people disrespect me!but i would say i new age travel!!!!;)

thats what im saying read the post before mine
i am saying it is like new age traveling in a way

but we are CLEANER and DONT pinch stuff and so on

thats what im saying read the post before mine
i am saying it is like new age traveling in a way

but we are CLEANER and DONT pinch stuff and so on

sorry chopper meant no offence and have now re read the said post and agree if you mean gypos for filth and pinching.;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back