Selling Motorhome Some Advice Appreciated

5andy

Hi, after reading previous threads about selling your motor home, and thinking that I was ready for all eventualities, I finally put my prized possession up for sale on gumtree last night. Almost immediately I had 2 texts from different people asking me to confirm that it was not yet sold and asking me to e-
mail them with my response. When I tried to reply by text they could not be sent. I had been advised not to put my e- mail address onto the advert

My question is am I being a bit too suspicious not to respond by e- mail? Your thought would be welcome.

5andy

Hi, after reading previous threads about selling your motor home, and thinking that I was ready for all eventualities, I finally put my prized possession up for sale on gumtree last night. Almost immediately I had 2 texts from different people asking me to confirm that it was not yet sold and asking me to e-
mail them with my response. When I tried to reply by text they could not be sent. I had been advised not to put my e- mail address onto the advert

My question is am I being a bit too suspicious not to respond by e- mail? Your thought would be welcome.

5andy
There are loads of scammers both on Gumtree and Ebay, if their phones do not take texts or even calls I would avoid them, best of luck. Why not advertise on the for sale section of Wild Camping??:D:banana:

5andy

Just reply through gumtree messages, BUT there are an awful lot of scammers out their.

One point to watch for is their possible poor grasp of English.

A Nigerian voice on the phone is another strong warning......

If you want tell them it will be a fixed price with no negotiation........

Thanks for the advice guys. Finally, and sadly, handed over the motorhome to the new owners yesterday. Almost had 2000 hits on the advert on gumtree and people were phoning daily. Amazing response. Reading previous threads from the forum made the whole process so much more straightforward. Unfortunately dont pick up new van until 1st Oct.
Thanks Sandy.

Don't pay anything til you have seen it. Or transfer any money.

Thanks for the advice guys. Finally, and sadly, handed over the motorhome to the new owners yesterday. Almost had 2000 hits on the advert on gumtree and people were phoning daily. Amazing response. Reading previous threads from the forum made the whole process so much more straightforward. Unfortunately dont pick up new van until 1st Oct.
Thanks Sandy.

Glad your sorted sandy,hope all goes smooth from here on in and hope you both have safe,trouble free and happy times with your new vehicle.

Thanks Sandy.

That sounds most encouraging 5andy. Perhaps you can give me a little more info on how to succeed as I have no experience at all of Gumtree sales. Whereabouts are you - just wondering if Gumtree more likely to succeed in eg S of Enland? (We're in Lancs). And what rough value was your sale - here wondering if Gumtree better at the top end (or bottom) of the market?

Did you advertise on e.g. eBay and Autotrader as well?

You obviously had no trouble at all with receiving a large amount of money - something else I'm worrying about?

We've already bought our next van and really need to get on with selling the existing one, which is a 2010 Hobby Van Exclusive. So far just tested the water with a post in the for sale forum on here and an ad. in Caravan Club/Caravans for Sale, from which no response.

Well done selling yours, and good luck in your new one.

Any tips gratefully received.
Thanks
Martin

That sounds most encouraging 5andy. Perhaps you can give me a little more info on how to succeed as I have no experience at all of Gumtree sales. Whereabouts are you - just wondering if Gumtree more likely to succeed in eg S of Enland? (We're in Lancs). And what rough value was your sale - here wondering if Gumtree better at the top end (or bottom) of the market?

Did you advertise on e.g. eBay and Autotrader as well?

You obviously had no trouble at all with receiving a large amount of money - something else I'm worrying about?

We've already bought our next van and really need to get on with selling the existing one, which is a 2010 Hobby Van Exclusive. So far just tested the water with a post in the for sale forum on here and an ad. in Caravan Club/Caravans for Sale, from which no response.

Well done selling yours, and good luck in your new one.

Any tips gratefully received.
Thanks
Martin

Hi Martin
this is the first time I have sold anything let alone a motorhome but fortunately it did go pretty well. I searched the forum for previous threads on the topic and that pretty much told me everything I needed to know.

The van was in the £20k price range. I read a lot of current adverts for similar vans and spent a fair bit of time writing the description of the vehicle, talking it up, but not too much, and thinking about what a competitive price was without going too low. I think I probably got it just about right.

I also posted a full set of well taken pictures of the van showing it off in the best light. For the paragraph first seen on the advert I went for emotional effect and started with for 'Much loved motorhome' and finished off with 'must be seen'. I also paid a few quid to get the advert highlighted for a couple of weeks. I think this was effective.

I stay pretty much in the middle of nowhere in the NE Scotland so I don't think Geography was a factor. The person who bought it came from the Falkirk area, more than 3 hours drive.

I did mean to advertise the van more widely but didn't get round to it. I think people looking for a Moho will always look at Gumtree anyway.

Couple of additional bits of ad ice from a dealer. Don't include your email address. Phone number only. This will reduce scams. Never part with Moho until money is in the bank.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck.
Sandy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back