Seized rear brakes

Roger Haworth

Free Member
Since the start of April my Ducato van conversion has been un-taxed on my off road parking area. I always leave it in gear with the handbrake off.

Every couple of weeks I've been starting it up and moving it around a bit - mainly to avoid miss-shaping my nice new Michelin all season tyres.

Of recent weeks I've found the offside rear brakes seized when I've tried to move the van but have been able to free them by bashing the (steel) wheel with a hammer - (a trick I learned from an AA bloke years ago).

Yesterday when I tried to move the van it became clear that both rear brakes were seized! I bashed both wheels with the hammer but all to no avail. I couldn't move the van at all - the front wheels just span on the gravel!

I have considered the idea of jacking up and removing the rear wheels and then tapping the calipers themselves with the hammer. Does anyone have any idea as to whether this might free off the brakes or would it run the risk of damaging the calipers or discs? Any other ideas as to how I could get the rear brakes un-seized?

Ducato has both disc pads and drum brakes on the rear axle. The drum brake is the parking brake so should not be a problem. Looks like you may have to jack it up and take the pads out and clean them. Just hitting something with a big hammer is hardly going to fix it. You can also use copper grease when you put the pads back.

If you are confident enough to Jack up the van rotate the wheels in turn to locate locate the sticking brake .then decide your course of action .could be just a appropriate hammer blow or strip down clean lube to replacement calliper .if you have home start recovery give them a call .

Jack it up - clean the bits up - repair/replace parts if req'd - it will keep doing it otherwise - i'd say use some copper slip if you know where to put it

The AA man was freeing shoes stuck on in a drum. Best you get a mobile mechanic to fix it for You and forget the Hammer

Since the start of April my Ducato van conversion has been un-taxed on my off road parking area. I always leave it in gear with the handbrake off.

Every couple of weeks I've been starting it up and moving it around a bit - mainly to avoid miss-shaping my nice new Michelin all season tyres.

Of recent weeks I've found the offside rear brakes seized when I've tried to move the van but have been able to free them by bashing the (steel) wheel with a hammer - (a trick I learned from an AA bloke years ago).

Yesterday when I tried to move the van it became clear that both rear brakes were seized! I bashed both wheels with the hammer but all to no avail. I couldn't move the van at all - the front wheels just span on the gravel!

I have considered the idea of jacking up and removing the rear wheels and then tapping the calipers themselves with the hammer. Does anyone have any idea as to whether this might free off the brakes or would it run the risk of damaging the calipers or discs? Any other ideas as to how I could get the rear brakes un-seized?
What model Ducato is it?
2008 100 multijet

I tried that - all that happened was the front wheels spun on the gravel either going forward or back!
Your doing no good they need a good service and get the fronts done aswell I strip service an reassemble mine every year as part of vans service only takes a couple of hrs when done regulary yours will be longer a bit more scraping an cleaning now

I'm guessing it will be the drums and not discs, on x250's onwards you can get problems with the drum mechanism which causes the brakes to lock, it's usually caused by applying the handbrake whilst the van is moving backwards, but I guess there are other reasons which might cause it.

Prob pads stuck to disc,take the wheel of and spray the disc with brake cleaner and try putting a jemmy bar across the studs to turn the hub.dont hammer the disc as it may warp,internal shoes may be stuck to drum also,i have seen linings pulled of after standing for a time,happened to my car as it sat on a garage forecort.

If the hand brake cable is slack it will probably be the hand brake shoes, if handbrake operates normally, chances are it is the disc pads bonded to disc.
Jack up wheel, spray pads or shoes, as much as possible, with brake cleaner. Replace wheel and use it like a steering wheel to try to jar disc clockwise, anti clockwise as sharply as possible. If you can get movement, change pads/shoes, clean grease slider pins/pivots. Get a proper brake grease, lasts a lot longer than copperslip, which is an anti seize compound.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. The front pads were replaced in May 19 and the rears in Aug 19 both by a reputable garage so it may well be a problem with the handbrake as has been suggested by some. Anyway I rang my local garage who have worked on the van on numerous occasions and they suggest calling the breakdown service who may be able to free the brakes off and if not getting them to recover the van down to the garage. Once there I'll get them to give the brakes a proper service. The MOT is due in September so I'll probably wait till then as I don't fancy going anywhere at present as I have been informed by the NHS that I am super vulnerable to dying if I catch coronavirus!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your replies. The front pads were replaced in May 19 and the rears in Aug 19 both by a reputable garage so it may well be a problem with the handbrake as has been suggested by some.
Even new pads can stick with in a short time, If as you said the handbrake has been left off all the time parked they,d be stuck in the off position

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back