Scratched Windows

iampatman

Hi all,

The overhanging olive trees and bamboo here in Greece have taken a toll on our habitation windows, lots of scratches. We’ve tried toothpaste in the past with no success but a Fenwicks product (caravan window scratch remover) seems to get some decent reviews. Has anybody used it? Is it any good? Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

T Cut on a damp cloth, constantly move the cloth in
every direction takes time depending on depth of scratch
of course.
Definitely no cheating power options ie rotary pad!
I've removed quite deep scratches over the years
to a perfect finish.

We've used silver polish, the wadding stuff. It's not bad, even on deep scratches. Just googled cos I forgot the name, Silvo, £2-50 in Sainsburys.

I use a three-stage approach:

1. T-Cut Scratch Remover (for paintwork rather than windows). Lots of elbow grease and polishing across the scratch rather than circular motion.
2. T-Cut, again across the scratch.
3. Autoglym Satin Resin polish.

Repeat as many times as required. It's hard work but it should do the trick.

I've been very pleased with the Fenwicks Windowize, takes a bit of elbow grease but great results.

Brasso or Silvo or you can use one of the rotary polishing cloths ( the sort you can mount on a grinder) but do not put any paste or polish on them. Mount it on a drill and use a high speed. Used to do this on decorative acrylic handles to get a polish on them.

Richard

All polishing buffs in the m/trade work at slow speed so to not burn the job,what ever medium you use always keep the job wet with using a water spray bottle saved from household kitchen,fiber glass gel coat restorer/polish will work to, good luck with job.

There’s a T cut plastic headlight restorer tried it on last van worked a treat bit of work took out a few deep scratches with a bit of perseverance.

There’s a T cut plastic headlight restorer tried it on last van worked a treat bit of work took out a few deep scratches with a bit of perseverance.

What have they done away with carbide gas lamps,dont things change fast these days.:lol-053:

Wonder if you knew you were heading of somewhere and there was a good chance of getting a window scratched always pasanger side would it be a good idea to put a couple of layers of cling film over said window or windows at risk or am I off on one again.

Wonder if you knew you were heading of somewhere and there was a good chance of getting a window scratched always pasanger side would it be a good idea to put a couple of layers of cling film over said window or windows at risk or am I off on one again.

No put that over toilet bowl in ladies toilets and put the seat down,stand outside and you will here some swear words you thought never existed.

That’s a reasonable question and I suppose that having been to Greece a few times before in the van we should have anticipated having to drive through the odd olive grove and narrow road. Bit late now for the cling film suggestion obviously but I’m sure it would be great in a “Things I wished I had done” thread. Anyway, next time we are in Greece I’ll make sure to bring plenty of cling film. Thanks.

Pat

Trev I think you’re my brother from a different mother I’ve actually done that got the scars to prove it. My future son on law came by for a barbecue today stuck a condom over his exhaust now waiting on the revenge.

Duraglit Pat is as good as anything. I would avoid electric polishers there is an art to using one effectively ...Brasso is pretty much the same but use the wadding and don't go hell for leather let the polish do its job Buff with scrim or cheese cloth

Channa

Trev I think you’re my brother from a different mother I’ve actually done that got the scars to prove it. My future son on law came by for a barbecue today stuck a condom over his exhaust now waiting on the revenge.

Once seen condom put in a chaps ham sarny at work,bad lot here.

Not rotary pads, no, but electric polishers are absolutely fine.

No power at all is my experience, it's very easy to
leave the thing running in one spot a little too long
and the result is a problem bigger than the one than
the original one, especially risky for first timers. Besides
which, there's nothing like a bit of hard graft to encourage
more careful future driving!

[...]but a Fenwicks product (caravan window scratch remover) seems to get some decent reviews. Has anybody used it? Is it any good?[...]

I've used Fenwicks Windowize to good effect on the couple of caravans I had before switching to a motorhome, and plan to use it on the scratches I picked up on two windows of the current van. HTH, Geoff

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back