Scottish Isles

Nigel L

Hi all, we have been closely following 'Wisewoman's' recent thread, as we to are going to the Scottish isles for 4 weeks from mid April till mid May.
We are in our first year of Motorhoming, so still very much on the steep learning curve!
We have done several trips on the mainland and have been happy to Wildcamp, mixed with staying on britstops etc, but have not joined either the CCC or C&CC as yet, as we prefer not to be to regimented!
Now, would it be a good idea to join one of them, as things like Chemical disposal and occasion hookup etc may be handy every few days etc.
Are there many CS sites in the islands?
Would we be foolish not to join one?
Any advice much appreciated.

From my experience ..we have only been asked IF we were members of the relevant "club" once despite having stopped on many throughout the country ....and we've never been refused,I suspect that most see a few quid in their pocket as more important than biding by the draconian type of rules (In the case of the caravan club) ...
The camping AND caravanning club are a good bunch and we were actually happy to join them (the discount on some of their sites for members soon adds up) .

'The Scottish Isles', covers a lot of ground, which particular ones are you considering?

Hello,
i joined both of the clubs when i bought my motorhome and quickly realised that I am more of a wild camper and did not renew them. I live Scotland and tend to stay in Scotland when touring about. I have found that the majority of the campsites I would like to stay on give you a discount if you are a member but do not require you to be a member. The majority of campsites also allow you to do a 'service stop' ie dump water and top up etc for anywherebetween £5-£10.

The islands you mentioned are the western isles or outer hebrides and as Runnach said, many of the harbours have showers, water and chemical disposal. Take a bag of £1 coins as the showers all work on a coin basis.

The council have produced this leaflet to help travellers to the islands. http://www.cne-siar.gov.uk/envserv/documents/LewisHarrisCampervanDisposalPoints.pdf

Dont worry about finding somewhere to camp for the night there are losts of places - check out this Camping Spots | West Harris Trust for some ideas

Hey there,

I am not a member of any camping and caravanning club but I do go to campsites every few days to get a shower. The way I do it is that I have an app called 'MapsMe' - MAPS.ME (MapsWithMe), detailed offline maps of the World for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, Amazon Kindle Fire and BlackBerry (there's also a similar one called Galileo)on my phone and I have installed on it our POI's as well as Archies campsites POI's for the UK - available from here: Archiescampings

I also have POI's gleaned from this website: Motorhome Parking - POI Download Page

and this website Wild Camping UK - Motorhome Stops & Wildcamping

When you open up your mapsme app there are always plenty of places to choose from. If you definitely want a shower then I turn off the others and rely on archiescampsites - which seems to be pretty comprehensive and actually covers the whole of Europe. I also occasionally double check campsites ( that they are open and their reviews) on ukcampsite.co.uk

I also have things like RSPB reserves and Megalithic portals POI - never any need to be bored with all that lot on your phone and as Maps Me works on GPS and locating where you are, to see whats nearby is a doddle.

I did look into C and C membership but I hear things about one of them (cant remember which) being a bit snobby - which isn't me at all. Like the previous poster, i rather suspect that if you rocked up and weren't a member, i doubt they would turn you away.

If you need help with getting any of the above set up on your phone just let me know - I believe MapsMe is on both Android and iOS. A further boon is that the maps are all offline (once downloaded) so no data charges wherever you are plus you can also use it as a basic satnav if you want!

I've now changed my ferries for the Hebrides and will be on one of other of the islands between the 10th and 18th of April. Maybe we will cross each other path? :)

Happy Camping!
Melissa

Last edited:
I managed to convince the other half to take an extra day(!) off work so now on the 10th April I go onto Skye via Mallaig. Then on the 12th its Uig to Lochmaddy (North Uist) The 15th its Bernery to Leverburgh (Harris) and then on the 18th its Stornoway to Ullapool. I used the Hopscotch 11 and all the ferries together have cost about £155 - which I think is excellent for 4 trips a campervan and three people. Calmac were great to deal with on the phone and no issues refunding my original bookings and changing things about for me.

At Ullapool I unload partner and I think child, and then I bugger off up to Durness (and beyond?) for a further 5 days!

I'm so excited already! :)

Hey there,

I am not a member of any camping and caravanning club but I do go to campsites every few days to get a shower. The way I do it is that I have an app called 'MapsMe' - MAPS.ME (MapsWithMe), detailed offline maps of the World for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, Amazon Kindle Fire and BlackBerry (there's also a similar one called Galileo)on my phone and I have installed on it our POI's as well as Archies campsites POI's for the UK - available from here: Archiescampings

I also have POI's gleaned from this website: Motorhome Parking - POI Download Page

and this website Wild Camping UK - Motorhome Stops & Wildcamping

When you open up your mapsme app there are always plenty of places to choose from. If you definitely want a shower then I turn off the others and rely on archiescampsites - which seems to be pretty comprehensive and actually covers the whole of Europe. I also occasionally double check campsites ( that they are open and their reviews) on ukcampsite.co.uk

I also have things like RSPB reserves and Megalithic portals POI - never any need to be bored with all that lot on your phone and as Maps Me works on GPS and locating where you are, to see whats nearby is a doddle.

I did look into C and C membership but I hear things about one of them (cant remember which) being a bit snobby - which isn't me at all. Like the previous poster, i rather suspect that if you rocked up and weren't a member, i doubt they would turn you away.

If you need help with getting any of the above set up on your phone just let me know - I believe MapsMe is on both Android and iOS. A further boon is that the maps are all offline (once downloaded) so no data charges wherever you are plus you can also use it as a basic satnav if you want!

I've now changed my ferries for the Hebrides and will be on one of other of the islands between the 10th and 18th of April. Maybe we will cross each other path? :)

Happy Camping!
Melissa
That's very informative, thank you.
My problem is that I struggle with technology, I still have my trusty old Nokia 6310i🙈
I do have an I-pad, but generally use that when wi-fi is available. So, think I am going to have to drag myself into the 21st century and upgrade my phone contract, or look at some type of Dongal for the MH.
It's looking like we will be following a similar route to yourself, and having never been to Scotland before am now really counting the days down.

Sounds like a permanent plan now in place. At Berneray ferry terminal, there is waste disposal and fresh water pipe to rear of small terminal building. The small harbour have showers available, coin operated.

You can park up here for great sea views and, a stone throw from golden sands. Google Maps

It is a great wee island for chilling. Oh, I assume partner is busing it home if you are heading further north on return to mainland??

Berneray = Otter spotting territory too.... (causeways on Uists too, Dunno about rest of Lewis Harris)

Just gets better 'n' better these wee Islands 👍

That's very informative, thank you.
My problem is that I struggle with technology, I still have my trusty old Nokia 6310i🙈
I do have an I-pad, but generally use that when wi-fi is available. So, think I am going to have to drag myself into the 21st century and upgrade my phone contract, or look at some type of Dongal for the MH.
It's looking like we will be following a similar route to yourself, and having never been to Scotland before am now really counting the days down.

Depending on which ipad it is, it may have GPS capability. Even the old ones could sort of tell roughly where you are based on crowd-sourced wifi data but this is not as good as GPS and I don't know how effective it would be on remoter islands such as these.

You can get good android smartphones or tablets with built in GPS fairly cheaply now . May not be your thing though. Historically I've loved maps and even with my i-device, I will still have paper copies and maps with annotations along for the ride with us too. :)

Melissa

Sounds like a permanent plan now in place. At Berneray ferry terminal, there is waste disposal and fresh water pipe to rear of small terminal building. The small harbour have showers available, coin operated.

You can park up here for great sea views and, a stone throw from golden sands. Google Maps

It is a great wee island for chilling. Oh, I assume partner is busing it home if you are heading further north on return to mainland??

Yes he is getting bus from Ullapool to Inverness then hiring a car.

Thanks for the link to a potential WC, I had spotted that one on our POI - I was a little concerned about possibly getting bogged down on the grass ( I had recent experience of this) but it sort of looks like it shouldn't be too bad and there's a bit of a track visible so I will be checking it out anyway. I've also got my eye on another one a bit further south next to a cemetary behind the 'machair' (also on our POI).

I'm gaining in confidence now with this Wilding malarky.-I drive a lot for my job and my mind is constantly on the look out for potential spots. Once you start looking, you can see potential everywhere! Mind you i do have a campervan - not a larger motorhome. :)

Have also noted on my itinerary where the showers are on these islands as they could be very handy!

Melissa

Agree about Maps. Still much prefer to use a paper map to plan routes etc and then use technology to plan last couple of miles.
Think I Wil need to talk to one of my lads, as they understand all that I ought to now be doing!

A quick glance at the C&CC 2017 map, and Skye has two CS's and one club site, outer Hebrides have none.

Hi, Is that you looking at your own map or can you view the map online, I`ve used to be a member of both clubs years ago but gave up on them because most of the sites were south of the border, and thought about rejoining one of them, probably the C&CC, but I have looked online for a map to see if it`s worth joining for the CL`s but can`t find one, you only get the choice of putting in a post code to see if there's one nearby. Cheers.

We joined C&CC 7 years ago

Yes Well worth it FOR US

We like their Certified sites usually just over £10 sometimes £12 or £15.

Usually do not need EHU.

Certainly very useful if you are south of say Leeds (fairly arbitrary choice of N/S divide for MH)
As there are not many suitable (for us) free stopovers south of Leeds.
We plan to tour scotland as as before we WC 95% of the time.
We used a C&CC site once on our last tour of Scotland to empty and fill up (free on showing membership card)

There are just a few sites Certified sites north of the Great Glen so we are happy to maybe use them for a couple of nights once a week or so.
Tain - Inchintaury
Dornoch - Mill Farm
Brora - Former Radio Station
Thurso - Ivy Cottage

Also a good selection North of Edinburgh and South of Inverness

Also full sites and Listed sites (emergency only)

If we are in the south we use sites more (70% plus) the further south the higher the % !
But it is sunnier and warmer !!!!

The C&CC local groups run temporary holiday sites (THSs) were there is always water and somewhere to empty toilet waste. As someone who stewards these meets we often have motorhomes who come in for one night, empty wastes, fill up with water and go the next morning. All for about £6-£9 (depends on what the landowners is charging). They are members only. In Scotland the furtest north is at Muir of Ord near Inverness, but there are many further south. They start around Easter and go on until September
Neither of the big clubs are very active in the Western Isles as up until recently there were few campsites. Everyone, including caravans wildcamped. Local communities and business are now setting up sites as too many wildcampers have spoilt the popular areas by leaving rubbish and cutting up the dunes by getting stuck and having to be dragged out. For instance in North Uist I believe there are now 5 campsites where up until recently there were none.

Last edited:
On the subject of using a CL/CS when you are not a member of the relevent club, - most dont even ask for documentation BUT some do and one particular place when I said that I wasnt a member got very jumpy, and wasnt at all keen to let us stay even though the place only had one caravan in it, he brought us inside his house asked a whole load of questions - he seemed worried that we were spies from the club - and finally swore us to secrecy before letting us stay.

the bottom line is that these people are torn between it being a short season and their need to make what money they can and the fear of having their status removed by the club and so ending their little sideline.

I have also got water and a black waste empty on a CL/CS by offering to pay! many of those that run them have to pay for their water so you cant really expect them to give it away for free, I usually base my offer on 50% what they charge for a night less a couple of quid if their fee includes hook upmost of the basic CL/CS sites only charge less than £10 (without hook up) so wave a fiver at them and there is usually no bother

Hi, Is that you looking at your own map or can you view the map online, I`ve used to be a member of both clubs years ago but gave up on them because most of the sites were south of the border, and thought about rejoining one of them, probably the C&CC, but I have looked online for a map to see if it`s worth joining for the CL`s but can`t find one, you only get the choice of putting in a post code to see if there's one nearby. Cheers.

The 'big sites' book (in reality a shadow of it's former self since charging for commercial listings) has now morphed into 'siteseeker' book with separate map for 2017.
The map has big red marker for club sites, big green markers for forest sites, little green markers for Cs's, and tiny stars for commercial sites. AFAIK this is also available online (was last time I looked) although you can only get contact details of CS's if logged in as member. THS's etc are available online to members, but last time I looked there is no obvious link, I only found out when a friend told me about it and then did a search on the website for THS.

I`ve used to be a member of both clubs years ago but gave up on them because most of the sites were south of the border, and thought about rejoining one of them, probably the C&CC,

I too was a member of both but dropped the CC this year - their sites were just too expensive although they do have a better spread of CL sites.
C&CC offer a discount to those over 55 (not in high season) so often I can stay on one of their sites for £12 or less (no EHU) which is handy to get laundry done and have a really good shower.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back