Scotland , ticks ?

Tezza

We were thinking of doing the NC 500 in a couple of weeks and going to visit friends on Stornaway . But reading all the motorhome forums it sounds as though the ticks are out in force this year. Somebody put a pic up of a stainless steel tray with about 40 ticks the vet had taken out of their dog. The Mrs always gets bitten by bugs . Last summer in one place next to Murcia she had 102 mossy bites. I had 6. If it's going to be anything like that I don't think I want to risk the dog or her. The dog is protected somewhat by advantix and the collar. And we have bought 3 bottles of the Avon stuff. Is that enough ? Or maybe we should leave it to perhaps October ? The only trouble with that is it will be starting to get a lot cooler. What do people here reckon is best?

We were thinking of doing the NC 500 in a couple of weeks and going to visit friends on Stornaway . But reading all the motorhome forums it sounds as though the ticks are out in force this year. Somebody put a pic up of a stainless steel tray with about 40 ticks the vet had taken out of their dog. The Mrs always gets bitten by bugs . Last summer in one place next to Murcia she had 102 mossy bites. I had 6. If it's going to be anything like that I don't think I want to risk the dog or her. The dog is protected somewhat by advantix and the collar. And we have bought 3 bottles of the Avon stuff. Is that enough ? Or maybe we should leave it to perhaps October ? The only trouble with that is it will be starting to get a lot cooler. What do people here reckon is best?
i'm the same. i find the Mrs a great way of attracting mossies and i hardly ever get bitten - brilliant !

Get a good tick picker and don't use tweezers, or you risk leaving bits of tick in you or your dog and squeezing it isn't a good idea, and don't go near it with a lit fag, that's for leaches. Your dog should be Checked for them regularly even if frontlined or collar. Not much you can do to prevent ticks but doctor will give antibiotics if you do get one, Doxycyline normally. There is a lot this year but don't let them put you off. :scared:

Get a good tick picker and don't use tweezers, or you risk leaving bits of tick in you or your dog and squeezing it isn't a good idea, and don't go near it with a lit fag, that's for leaches. Your dog should be Checked for them regularly even if frontlined or collar. Not much you can do to prevent ticks but doctor will give antibiotics if you do get one, Doxycyline normally. There is a lot this year but don't let them put you off. :scared:

Living in Scotland as do much of my family ticks are no that much of a problem. My brother lives in the country and keeps dogs and does not have serious problems. As suggested get a good puller they are easy to come by and check you animals all over daily. I would also advise a good supply of midge repellent, the Swedes claim theirs are the worst but they are wrong

I got one in Scotland once years ago in my side. It was there for about two days. I thought it was just a spot or something until I checked one morning in the mirror and it moved. :scared:

I just ripped the little fecker out. Didnt even know what it was. I now know that this is not the best solution. :D

I think I was lucky as it just looked a bit red for a day or two but was fine.

was in portugal couple of weeks ago. one girl we knew died of tick fever while we were there and another was very sick, first lot of anti biotics hadn't worked and she was on the next lot. had it myself and spent 2 weeks in a delirious condition but was lucky to have got a proper diagnosis -eventually

Just returned from the western isles and Scotland touring. Dog only picked up one tick. Used the little remover device, no problem.

Jon

I've never had a problem with ticks, only midges, I have noticed that even the midges attack me less now maybe it's cos the females that do the biting prefer younger flesh. :) I now visit Scotland out of season - less midges, less people and the scenery is often better.

My dogs have Bravecto which is 3 months flea and tick prevention in the form of one chewable tablet. At the vets it costs around £30, I buy a year's supply online with a private vet prescription and it works out at £20 per tablet. I first used it last year, didn't get a single tick on the dogs.

My vet has advised me that in some areas of the country, dogs need to be wormed monthly (rather than the standard 3 months) because of the risk of Lungworm - where I live the incidence is very low, virtually no risk, so I only worm 3 monthly, but if visiting other parts of the country, I've been advised to check for the local risk of Lungworm (he said that Bayer do a map on their website but I haven't checked this out yet) and worm monthly (I use Milbemax) if Lungworm risk is high or if in doubt.

In the past, I've found careful removal with a proper tick remover to be the best solution, together with checking bedding etc daily - I found a couple of dead ticks in dog's bedding in previous years whilst in the Wiltshire area - in fact that year (2014) was the last year I used Frontline on the animals (2 dogs, 1 cat) and became convinced that the chemical in it (Fibronil) was no longer effective (or at least nowhere near as effective as it used to be) - my vet confirmed that it is suspected that Fibronil is no longer an effective anti flea / tick treatment, or at least that it is losing it's previous efficacy. I seemed to be taking ticks off the dogs almost daily that year despite them being Frontlined monthly.

Many of the over the counter products and Bob Martin products for fleas do contain Fibronil - many of the others contain Permethrin or derivatives which are highly toxic to cats. So do look at the active ingredients and if using a Fibronil product, you may need to accept that it's not going to be the best product and may not be effective.

As for midgies and the Avon products, it's an urban myth - there's no hard evidence that the original formula of the Avon Skin so soft Woodland Fresh was effective against insects but it did contain citronella which is a natural insect repellent, and this is thought to be the reason for it having some insect repellent action. The name and ingredients have now changed (I think it's called Soft and Fresh or similar now) and there is masses of debate about whether or not it works - but difficult to substantiate as some people react very badly to insect bites and others don't (so they may think that their Avon product is working). It is thought that the body oil also helped as a protective barrier to the skin but this needs to be regularly reapplied (hourly or more frequently) as it's easy to brush this protective oil layer off the skin.

Basically the cheapest and most effective way of protecting yourself and dog from insects is to buy a bottle of citronella essential oil (about £3 from a health food shop) and then make up a spray bottle with a fine spray, about 15 - 20 drops of oil in water, and liberally spray yourself, your hair, your clothes, the soft furnishings in van, the dog, the dogs bed etc with the stuff, repeating every couple of hours if midgies are bad. Put about 10-15 drops in your bath water (if you ever get the luxury of a bath) and you could even put 5-10 drops in washing machine instead of conditioner.

I'd also advise a good Jungle Formula insect repellent containing 30 -50% DEET and reapply every few hours. And apparently insects are attracted by strong perfumes so might be worth avoiding smelly soap, shampoo, body wash, deodorant etc whilst you're away - try switching to unscented products or products containing citronella and/or tea tree (another well known insect repelling plant).

Any form of smoke will help too - so citronella candles, jossticks, the mossie coil incense all help too.

I know all this as I seem to have the type of blood which midgies and other biting nasties just love and I react very badly to bites - I come out in massive lumps so I've checked out all the best ways of keeping the nasties at bay and found out what works best for me - which is citronella and Deet, a combined assault.

For afterwards, a tube of antihistamine cream and Piriton tablets, to minimise the local reaction to the bites and prevent scratching which can cause bites to develop into huge nasty blisters. A bottle of Lavender essential oil is very useful too, it can be dabbed neat on bites (every 3-4 of hours - more often may cause a skin reaction) to help reduce itchiness and help healing, and again put in bath water, which is actually very good for sunburn. Or again, make up a water spray and mist your skin as often as required.

I would second this post about Bravecto. Both our dogs get these tablets and are no longer bothered by ticks. Frontline and that type of product was absolutely no use at all. Our vet also suggests a tick/flea collar but this is no use if the dog likes to go into water.

Last edited:
The new Seresto flea/tick collars are water resistant & protect against fleas & ticks for 8 months.
I can personally vouch for their effectiveness with fleas. We have had some really bad repeat offenders over the years who always come in covered in fleas & every single one of them that now wears one of these is flea free. This is excellent bearing in mind that the people who let their animals get infested probably still have a house full of them!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back