Scotland questions ???

steveyanne

We are off to Scotland in a few weeks for our first wildcamping trip. I have read the threads on Scotland but was wondering whats everyone's favourite spot up there and whats your number one tip for wild camping ??:)
We are hoping to get right up to Durness via the west coast, run along the top and down the East coast but we only have 8 days to do this in.

Thanks in advance :D

ps we have a Fiat Bessacar e495.

Scotland

We are off to Scotland in a few weeks for our first wildcamping trip. I have read the threads on Scotland but was wondering whats everyone's favourite spot up there and whats your number one tip for wild camping ??:)
We are hoping to get right up to Durness via the west coast, run along the top and down the East coast but we only have 8 days to do this in.

Thanks in advance :D

ps we have a Fiat Bessacar e495.
Ah! thats a hard question to answer there is so much to see
been camping over 15 years there is loads to see however
I am very fond of our west coast 8day's mmmmmm
you'l be back

I've been running up to Durness and the West coast from Suffolk since 1973 - my favourite area of the UK - but I wouldn't try for it in just 8 days. I usually take three or four weeks! There are so many brilliant places to stop with no need for a site.
Rick

Don't underestimate how poor some of the roads are I don't think you can do this comfortably in 8 days. I'm in Barnsley and I did 1800 miles! going up the East Coast to the top and back down the west. This was in 13 days and we only managed two night stays in two places.
Why not go to the Lake district and go to Scotland when you have more time.
I know things always take longer for us due to stops for the Dog but it is a fair distance.

Scotland

I agree that 8 days is a bit optimistic for the trip you are planning.

I wouldn't aim for the north coast unless I had a couple of weeks to spare.

You are obviously further north than we are (Staffordshire)

I think I would aim for Fort William, then cut across country to the other coast.

If the weather is bad, we try to keep to the coast as much as possible, as it is milder.

We do not have any problems finding somewhere to stop. The further north ,the easier it is.

Hope You enjoy your trip!!

Best tip is fill up with water whenever you can!
Some pics:
http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/pp125/boyofabeach/

The 'motorway' in the pics is not for anything bigger than my vw T25 - I wouldn't try it with my Merc 508d!
We used single track roads a lot of the time which you can't use with a bigger vehicle but you see so much more.
Rick

scotland

Try isle of skye,lovely for wild camping,so peaceful and easy.:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back