Scotland - Midges!!

Nigel L

So, having never been to Scotland, and always had it on our ‘places to visit’ list, we find ourselves with 2 weeks free, so have decided to leave for Scotland on saturday.
Will the midges still be asleep? Or, with the recent hot weather, will they be about?
Thanks

Should still have a couple of weeks before they start feasting. The wind has more to do with midges than temperature a decent breeze keeps them at bay try to park as far away from birch trees and damp mossy areas .That covers 95% of Scotland then 😂.You could always get a blood infusion on your way home at Carlisle.

To late the place in infested better going to France! Only joking no midges just now but with rain forecast for the next few days things could change. Is there anybody not coming to Scotland this summer?

To late the place in infested better going to France! Only joking no midges just now but with rain forecast for the next few days things could change. Is there anybody not coming to Scotland this summer?

Me :rolleyes2:

Some idesa being floated which may be more legend than factual.

Miges hatch in Mid May (ish) and the numbers are very dependant on how wet it has been. Now whether that aoolies to the immediate period prior or to the Winter in general I just don't know.

However, we have had a very dry spring so far so the odds are very much in your favour.

What works against them? Frankly I have had no joy at all with potions and lotions and my midge hood is the only thing I know that really works as it is a physical barrier.

I had a quiet chat with a campsite owner over on the west cost and he had a gas driven midge lure that trapped kilos of the wee loves every night. "Does it help?" I asked. "NO" was the answer, "the little buggers just fill the gaps."

So to avoid go now. Scotland will take your breath away, we have been exploring for 20 years now and still we have lots to see and do.

B2

Where are you planning to go? The whole of Scotland isn't infested with midgies.
You probably wont see anyone in a kilt either.

Not just Scotland, we were eaten alive at Keilder last year, packed up after first night it was so bad.

We’ve been visiting East Scotland now for the last 15 years every May and have never seen a midge .

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies.
We live in Cambs, so heading up to Cumbria on saturday on first leg, move onto Oban on Sunday, then deciding whether to get ferry and go to Mull for a few days, or, head up to Inverness, then onto to Ullapool, and head up to Scourie, probably via Stoerhead, then onto Kinlochbevie, and up to Durness.
Thats only a loose plan, but gives us sort of something to work towards.
Like everything in life, you can do loads of research, but nothing is a substitute for actually doing it and being there.
Really looking forward to it now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back