Scotland in general

GARY ENGLISH

Just did two weeks wild in scotland and skye.No problemms any were.Water and waste just asked at camp sites, if we could empty and refill ,not a problem gave them a couple of pounds.Went from gretna,luss,loch gary all round skye achanalt, loch ness,fort willam,trossachs,stirilng ,falkirk,edingborough,dunbarton and gretna home. No problems any were all information on this site spot on.Falkirk wheel and stirling and edingborough very good.Round trip ,1605 miles.

scotland

GARY ENGLISH said:
Just did two weeks wild in scotland and skye.No problemms any were.Water and waste just asked at camp sites, if we could empty and refill ,not a problem gave them a couple of pounds.Went from gretna,luss,loch gary all round skye achanalt, loch ness,fort willam,trossachs,stirilng ,falkirk,edingborough,dunbarton and gretna home. No problems any were all information on this site spot on.Falkirk wheel and stirling and edingborough very good.Round trip ,1605 miles.

Glad you enjoyed no mention of midges

hey gary....looks like you have had a great time up there...any pics..samm :)

Merlin wanderer

Few midges about round the lochs,no real problem just put on a smear of jungle formula.

Glad yu had a good time Gary ,have read about the midges but if the scenery's good a few bites are ok
looking forward to pics
Rob

More than a few midges around Applecross and Torridon last week. Not bad at Glenelg, though.

To all

We all found the jungle formula excellant,freinds used the small electric buzzers not so good.Allways find the scenery stunning in scotland,dont matter how many times we go.Found the explorer ticket very good ,if you are intrested in looking round several castles etc.

As we live in Bonnie Scotland and Loch Lomond in particular we have become amune to the dreaded midge, i have to confess however that i was only saying just the other day to the over half that there didn't seem to be all that many about this year, having in a former existance worked closely with the walkers on both the West Highland and Rob Roy Ways there was always reports of midge infestation on these route but alas this year no such reports so i can only pressume you got of ligthly in your travels this time around, it is a most beautiful place to live but seeing as it's all on our doorstep so to speak we see it all daily throughout the seasons and quite frankly want to see something quite different now for a change whilst i wouldn't change where i live for the world a wee braek away from the norm is i'm sure acceptible we therfore are early next year going to take several months out and tour Britian in general in our selfbuilt and actively seek safe wild-camping spots throughout the uk along with know places or areas that actively take on casual labour in the likes of the fruit picking trades etc to help boost our travelling funds as we go, any such information would be gratefully received either via this forum or inded via my own site at http://www.freewebs.com/expertbuild and the forum with-in it either way i look forward to any replies sent
For Now
Slanj
Dougie

Scotland tour

Hi Garry you lucky devil, I made the biggest mistake of my life this year went south,Wales,Zummerzet ,Exmoor, Devon & Cornwall,apart from the weather [which most of us had]it was pay pay pay,& that included disabled parking always allowing one could get in a car park,no height barriers but plenty of "NO MOTOR HOMES CAMPER VANS OR CARAVANS",as to wild sites nearly all coastal area owned by N/T £3 to park no overnights £65 excess charge if you were caught.Only good place was just outside Portreath on the road to Hale,4 large parking areas managed to grab 3 weeks there till the N/T lads asked me politley to take a hike,there were 3/4 local vans they rented there houses out spent the summer there then went over to Spain fer the winter.I got as far as Launston on the return trip & developed a poorly leg & had to be driven home.The moral of this tale is simple "SCOTLAND RULES" I will be back later this year Dumfries come October.
Steuart.

snowgoose

Sorry to hear that ,we go to cornwall quite a bit but freinds have a feild i can park in nice.Go to scotland, apart from being free, the scenery is brillant and plenty to do.Weather can be good and midges not allways as bad as people make out.Penty off info on here from the locals up there.ISLE OF SKYE 'you can get lost with no one else about wild and wonderfull.

Hi ducatobuild, we have had most success in wild camping in Northumberland.
It is quiet, peacefull, & very beautiful. No idea about casual labour though, it is mostly farming area, but not seen any fruit picking, etc.

Scotland the Great

We have just completed a 24 day 1950 mile working holiday tour of the Scottish coast. The weather was very unkind and made life very difficult at times.

We only suffered once with the midges, the 80 MPH winds kept them at bay,
well most of the time. I did notice for every one you killed five million
came to the wake!!!!!!!!!

We checked out 64 camp sites on behalf of Vicarious Books for the Great Sea View Camp site guide.

I had every intention of getting the GPS co ordinates for some wild camping spots around the coast of Scotland. There were so many places to free camp I gave up after these four.

Powfoot, Solway Firth. N54º 58’27.5 W3º 20’32.4

Skipness, Kintyre N55º 45’21.8 W5º 22’13.7

7 miles north of Campbeltown on A83 N55º 29’8.9 W5º 42’47.3

9 miles south of Lochinver on single track unclassified road.
N58º 4’50.3 W5º 14’27.3 Don't attempt this road with anything bigger than a panel van conversion.

I've been visiting Scotland since 1952 and have motor homed there since 1970.

When the weather is good the west coast takes some beating, we go back year after year and never tire of the place.

This is the first time since retiring that we have visited in August, we wanted to check the campsites when they are busy. We normally go May/June or Oct/Nov and meet very few campers at that time of the year.

This trip was a real eye opener, we saw more continental vans, mainly German and Italians than UK ones. Many of the UK vans were hire vans most with young families. It was good to see them hiring before buying.

The continentals were not so hot on the procedure for the single track roads. One young Italian thought he was driving at Monza.

So if you are thinking of visiting Scotland go for it.

Safe travelling

Don

GARY ENGLISH said:
Few midges about round the lochs,no real problem just put on a smear of jungle formula.
Hi gary we have done thousands of mies in scotland and yes the wee midges are a nightmare,best thing to stop them is skin so soft from avon got that from the piper who playes at top of hill in glencoe,and it works cheaper than the jungle stuff.

Little friends "THE MIDGE"

christine said:
More than a few midges around Applecross and Torridon last week. Not bad at Glenelg, though.

Christine whilst I will agree our wee constant friend is a pest,but be wary of his BIG BROTHER the dreaded CLEGG.I feel certain "Ducatobuild" & "Hillwalker" will have met these wee darlings on there travells.I was first introduced to them when I lived & worked in Luss.:eek:
Snowgoose.

scotland in september

Hiya We have just returned from Skye still quite busy with foreign vans. Found some quiet spots though. not too many midges up there but loads down here in Dumfries last couple of days probably due to the sunshine. Found loads of wildcamping sites we havent visited before. Hope to go again next year early on to miss the crowds. Have had experience from the dreaded cleggs they should be called vampires. Will post some photos of our travels.Jen

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back