Scooter rack wanted.

Ian and Cath

Just bought a vespa now want to take it away with us. Before I break the bank does anyone here have one gathering dust they want to sell.

The only one I would recommend is the Armitage Trailers rack. Ive had mine on my existing van for 16 years. The only racks I have seen that sometimes come up for sale are the tow bar mounted ones but I cant see how they are legal as they probably break the tow bar nose weight limit with even the smallest scooter. Armitage racks are chassis mounted (Alko best). Not cheap though but good. £1395 for the traditional one and £1795 for the new fancy one. They will send you a spreadsheet to do the weights and payload maths as well. Something you really need to do, not many vans will take a rack and scooter.

We had a pair of Vespas, one in the garage & one on the armitage rack , we loved the freedom they gave ! Italy is a must when you have a Vespa , amalfi coast , Florence,Rome before the banned scooters for the historic area , and the cinque terre villages , what have you bought?
I had the silver metallic 125 with wind protection and all the chrome , and Janet had the pearlescent cream unrestricted 50 cc ,
If it’s second hand make sure you get the drive belt and rollers replaced before they break as the belt makes a horrible mess at 50 mph, it’s about £100 for the bits and easy to do

A friend of mine might still have his (NE England). His health is poor so it would have to be collected from his home.

You need to do the math about loading

A rough guide to sensibility check you calculations against.
The payload is reduced by the combined weight of the scooter and the rack.
The rear axle load is increased reduced by one and a half times the combined weight of the scooter and the rack.
The Front axle load is reduced by half of the combined weight of the scooter and the rack.

You need to do the math about loading

A rough guide to sensibility check you calculations against.
The payload is reduced by the combined weight of the scooter and the rack.
The rear axle load is increased reduced by one and a half times the combined weight of the scooter and the rack.
The Front axle load is reduced by half of the combined weight of the scooter and the rack.

Maths :mad: :giggle:

The maths in this old article is what I used for fitting my rack in 2008 although its dated now 2010 for some reason

All the stuff you need is near the bottom or like I said if you talk to Armitage Trailers they will send you an excel spreadsheet. Its worth talking to them anyway as they may have installed something on your particular van.

We had a pair of Vespas, one in the garage & one on the armitage rack , we loved the freedom they gave ! Italy is a must when you have a Vespa , amalfi coast , Florence,Rome before the banned scooters for the historic area , and the cinque terre villages , what have you bought?
I had the silver metallic 125 with wind protection and all the chrome , and Janet had the pearlescent cream unrestricted 50 cc ,
If it’s second hand make sure you get the drive belt and rollers replaced before they break as the belt makes a horrible mess at 50 mph, it’s about £100 for the bits and easy to do
Thanks for that Andy, I've a few other parts to order, nothing major, so I'll get the bits then.

I do love the look of the Vespas. I almost bought a 300 GTS once but ended up with a Piaggio BV350. Not for use with the van, just for having fun on. We have a Honda Vision 110 now. Love it.
IMG_1196.pngYou’ll like this

I had a mate back in the late 60's who was a teddy boy, his Lambetta was his pride and joy and he insisted I have a go on it. Was still my mate Ofer I crashed it into a tree lol, what's all this gear change on handle bars :)

I had a mate back in the late 60's who was a teddy boy, his Lambetta was his pride and joy and he insisted I have a go on it. Was still my mate Ofer I crashed it into a tree lol, what's all this gear change on handle bars :)

I hated that gear change on my Lambretta J125 Neil.

You had to be a bloody contortionist to go through the gears.

The scooter rack my friend has for sale is an Easylifter if that is any good. He is barely able to function and his Wife has no idea what it is worth, so an offer could be made. If it is not suitable for the OP anyone else interested can make an offer too.

The scooter rack my friend has for sale is an Easylifter if that is any good. He is barely able to function and his Wife has no idea what it is worth, so an offer could be made. If it is not suitable for the OP anyone else interested can make an offer too.

Easy lifter is a manufacturer. They produce many different scooter racks which vary from a basic fixed rack to a hydraulically lifting rack with wheels. Photos might help which model he has. The new price starts at £700 and goes up to £1600 (both plus vat).

A friend of mine might still have his (NE England). His health is poor so it would have to be collected from his home.

Sorry Jim, I reacted with a ROFL smilie on your first post because I thought you were having another dig at Barryd, I have removed it

Back