Schengen simple - excellent app for calculating Schengen allowance

Moped

I have found a fantastic app for tracking how many days you have left in the Schengen zone, the last date you can leave the zone based on trips you have already made and a future entry date, and based on a future planned trip what is available to you in between two trips. The first 3 trip entries are free and then it’s £8.99 for lifetime use. Well worth it for calculating maximum trip length.

Under each calendar date are the number of Schengen days you have remaining. It makes calculating maximum stays for multiple trips simple.

It also includes a passport control feature that you can show passport control if they are questioning the length of your stay.

Remember it’s the day you enter Schengen that counts as a day, not the day you board the ferry.

Basically I had an 80 day trip to Spain earlier in the year and have a trip to Spain booked during the winter 2024 with a theoretical return date implying 85 days. I wanted to know the latest possible return date for a September French trip and the app came up with the precise date.

Now I have to decide if I want to reduce the length of the Spain trip to extend the length of the French trip using edit functions. The app provides the answers in a simple day by day calendar format.

Highly recommended for those who make multiple annual trips but I guess if you do then you will have already found the app and are using it!

I have found a fantastic app for tracking how many days you have left in the Schengen zone, the last date you can leave the zone based on trips you have already made and a future entry date, and based on a future planned trip what is available to you in between two trips. The first 3 trip entries are free and then it’s £8.99 for lifetime use. Well worth it for calculating maximum trip length.

Under each calendar date are the number of Schengen days you have remaining. It makes calculating maximum stays for multiple trips simple.

It also includes a passport control feature that you can show passport control if they are questioning the length of your stay.

Remember it’s the day you enter Schengen that counts as a day, not the day you board the ferry.

Basically I had an 80 day trip to Spain earlier in the year and have a trip to Spain booked during the winter 2024 with a theoretical return date implying 85 days. I wanted to know the latest possible return date for a September French trip and the app came up with the precise date.

Now I have to decide if I want to reduce the length of the Spain trip to extend the length of the French trip using edit functions. The app provides the answers in a simple day by day calendar format.

Highly recommended for those who make multiple annual trips but I guess if you do then you will have already found the app and are using it!
Or, use the free EU Schengen Zone Stay Calculator, a 'lite' version of the System used by the Border Guards. Works on Android, laptops, and IoS [haven't checked the latter though!]

Steve

Can these alternatives take into account future trips when calculating interim trip allowances and give you actual dates that you are permitted to enter and the final date that you must leave by?

And do they tell you how many days you have available for every single date on the calendar?

The Schengen simple app does all this. For those who need to plan multiple future trips it cannot be beaten and is worth the small fee.

I like to book ferries in advance to get the best prices and at the same time the most price advantageous days during the week. There can be significant price differences depending on which day of the week you travel. The app will save me money and will pay for itself many times over planning wise and at the same time maximise time in Schengen for the multiple trips made.

Last edited:
Yes! It's not the most User Friendly, but a 'Trial & Error' approach will tell you why the calculation cannot proceed! The main trick is to enter the Date of Entry/Control as the planned date of finishing your last trip, so that the system can take both your previous trip dates and your planned trip dates to make the 180 and 90 day calculations. I posted earlier about an apparent 'sweet spot' where moving a planned departure date from UK back a few days [roughly if you have 45-50 days unused to bring forward] can result in the EU System allowing a new 90 days stay, because the 'decay'/falling away of the Day 1 of the fuirst 45 day trip adds another day to the end of your second [planned] trip, so you will always be within 90/180 days

Steve

Can these alternatives take into account future trips when calculating interim trip allowances and give you actual dates that you are permitted to enter and the final date that you must leave by?

And do they tell you how many days you have available for every single date on the calendar?

The Schengen simple app does all this. For those who need to plan multiple future trips it cannot be beaten and is worth the small fee.
Yes, to all of your questions, because the App and the EU Schengen Stay Calculator have to apply the same Regulations. The official EU version is not quite as User Friendly, but a] it is, in effect, a 'lite' version of the Border Guard Official System, so if the EU Schengen Calculator says the planned trip is permissible, it will be; and b] it's free

To misquote a cliché, 'You pay your money, you make your choice; I don't pay my money, but I can make my choice' :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Screenshot_20230819_165113_Schengen calculator free.jpg

This screen shot show an example, Blue are days in EU. Oops gone in the red and overstayed my welcome 😁.

1 week free then £7.99 a year? My spreadsheet has done the job fine since Brexit and costs nowt.

I did not think this was that difficult so please correct me.

You set a date when you will return from the EU and go back 180 days from that date. You add up the days you were in the EU in that 180 day period and subtract that fro 90 which gives you the number of days you can spend in the EU.

Is this correct?

You set a date when you will return from the EU and go back 180 days from that date. You add up the days you were in the EU in that 180 day period and subtract that fro 90 which gives you the number of days you can spend in the EU.

Is this correct?
Yes and no. Previous entry dates prior to the retrospective 180 days counting forward and the fact that the number of days in a month are not identical impact the precise day of the week that you can enter and leave.

The app removes all this grief and calculates this for you.

Is this correct?
That sounds right. Bear in mind that the count is per calendar day and that part days count as a day (e.g. if you arrive in the EU at 2359, that's one day). If cutting things fine, https://ec.europa.eu/assets/home/visa-calculator/calculator.htm?lang=en could provide peace of mind.

Is this correct?
In principle, yes. But the Rule is 90 Days in ANY 180 Day period, so the 180 days Start Date moves forward every day. If you take your 90 days in one visit, then you have to wait 90 days for the next trip. But, if you take around 45-50 days on Trip 1, the first days of this visit will begin to fall away, and you can plan a second trip of longer than 40 days, in the knowledge that the falling away of the first days of Trip 1 will result in the addition of those days to the planned second trip. Playing around with planned departure dates by a few days can make a substantial difference! I moved a Planned Departure Date back from 5th August to 8th August and increased the available length of the proposed trip by a lot more than 4 days!

Steve

Why are you using a departure date as you could run out of days.
Edit. I don’t suppose it will make any difference

Last edited:
Why are you using a departure date as you could run out of days.
Edit. I don’t suppose it will make any difference
Departure date for the start of the second trip, because this will determine the maximum permissible days until your 90 days stay expires

Steve

Doubt if it matteers. Departure date will indicate how many days you can stay in EU and retun date will undicate if you have sufficient days

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back