Satnavs

iGo Nextgen. By far the best, I reckon.
It also has Sygic Truck, Maps.me and Here, as well as Google maps, but the one I use is iGo
Thanks
Yes I use maps.me ang google extensively so thanks for alerting me to IGo.
I will try it

Last edited:
Anyone got the TomTom Go Camper satnav ? Opinions please. Just got a bigger motorhome and don't want to be directed down singletrack roads ( except in Scotland where plenty of passing places). Any experiences?
I have the Go Camper. Went to Cornwall, wasn't much help as all the roads are narrow.
Went to Barmouth recently and the SatNav took me down a single track road so fiddled with my van sizes increasing all dimensions setting it higher and wider a touch and it did take me a new way home

I have the Tom Tom camper sat nav. I like the large screen and information etc but this last week I found that when planning routes it will tell you that the route is not suitable for your vehicle, but does not offer an alternative. I just went for it anyway and had no problems but it was a bit unsettling. Updating the unit is easy over wifi which is a bonus.

I have the Go Camper. Went to Cornwall, wasn't much help as all the roads are narrow.
Went to Barmouth recently and the SatNav took me down a single track road so fiddled with my van sizes increasing all dimensions setting it higher and wider a touch and it did take me a new way home
Every sat nav that I have had has taken me home on a different route. Why do they do that?

Can I ask where you position it when driving?

Thats the bit that I'm not 100% happy with mine, but the tablet has 11" screen so I'll live with it for now. Might go mad one day and buy tablet with smaller screen just for sat nav and map apps.
Until then, I have two positions that are liveable with.

Dash mount goes fits on tray above the radio, the tablet then fits right in front of the radio. Fits fine, easy to reach, can't see radio or any of the buttons for radio and phone, doesn't matter as everything is repeated on steering wheel. Radio display is also used for rear camera, so thats blocked as well.

Or, and this is where tablet sits most of the time.
Dash mount sits on dash on passenger side. Works well there, doesn't block anything, but I can't reach it from drivers seat. Well not unless I use cruise control, :p 😂

This is a very live topic for us. We are just back from a long trip around Portugal and using the Crafter in-built sat nav and Gmaps we ended up in some very hairy situations - 7m van with no motorways/no toll roads selected. Extremely tight, narrow roads through villages/towns (even when we could see afterwards that there were by-passes!) sometimes it took three attempts to get round uphill hairpins, luckily being Portugal traffic was very light.

As we want to tow a trailer from now on route planning will be crucial.

Incidentally, we also found the phone when using Gmaps regularly overheated, combination of the sun through the windshield and heavy power use. Would think that could be a problem with using tablets?

Incidentally, we also found the phone when using Gmaps regularly overheated, combination of the sun through the windshield and heavy power use. Would think that could be a problem with using tablets?

Overheating is a problem for all devices I've had which are mounted on windscreen or top of dash. My TomToms overheat in hot countries. Latest one sits right on top of a vent, so air con cools it down.

TomTom set the standard in my opinion and as I said before are very user friendly.

What would you recommend as a good satnav? I have tried a couple of Chinese ones which have been excellent apart from longevity.

Maybe they do in Campers but I wouldn't trust TomTom after buying a TomTom Rider to replace my aging Zumo 660 for a trip to France on the motorbike, we went to a B&B called the Rider's Rest which was owned by a biker who did tours around the area where you could follow him or if you wanted to be on your own he would load them onto your satnav for you. On the first morning when everyone was waiting for him to upload their route there was only me and another guy who had TomTom's and the owner just laughed and said "Good luck with the TomTom" and he wasn't wrong :( I set of on my route following another guy who was doing the same route and we came to a T Junction, he went left and my TomTom told me to turn right The TomTom actually ruined that trip for us :oops:. I use BaseCamp and a website called myrouteapp.com to plan trips on the bike then upload them to my satnav and there was no way I could get the TomTom to stick to my planned route or announce individual waypoints, it would only announce all of them or non of them. So after six months of talking to TomTom support, who kept promising to call me back but never did and then told me I was only meant to use street addresses or postcodes I went on wikipedia and got the CEO's email address and emailed him, a couple of hours later TomTom called me and offered me a full refund even though I didn't buy it from them directly, I went out and got a new Zumo and everything is as I'd expect a motorbike satnav to be ;) but I still regret selling the Zumo 660, which is still the best biker satnav made imho.

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
For me a 10in tablet would feel to big & clumsy whilst driving. A 6 or 7in display is enough and easier to mount and angle..i prefer rh bottom corner angled slightly up and inwards.

Yes, it's a problem. In the past, I put a sheet of paper behind it as a sunshade.
I now have a pair of 12v fans on the dash. They swivel, so can point towards the back of the satnav (where they cool it well) or slightly turned towards the occupants (where they cool people and satnav) or towards the windscreen (where they help the demisters)
If you leave the device in hot sun, it gets too hot to touch and it slows down but it still seems to work, unlike the in-dash satnav I used to have, which used to crash when it overheated.

Anyone got the TomTom Go Camper satnav ? Opinions please. Just got a bigger motorhome and don't want to be directed down singletrack roads ( except in Scotland where plenty of passing places). Any experiences?
I've got the Garmin 6" version and had no real problems. Like all you get the odd quirk, but when set for towing the caravan or moho it routes well.

Thank you for all the replies. The original question was anyone got a TomTom camper and experience of it. Seems not, so I'll have a look at other satnavs too. I'm a fan of tomtom's , had them without any problems for 12 years that's why I asked.
I have only just seen your post, we have a large campervan and bought the TomTom Camper a couple of years ago now because you can put in the size of the vehicle, kept it updated and had no problems. We have found it reliable and not encountered any mishaps (yet) I think that sometimes it does not use the most direct route, having experienced that in our local area but when away from home you are not aware of any shortcuts anyway so it is not a problem!

A lot of vans have the clipboard bit in centre of dash probably fits it there
That's what I'd use if there was one, but this van is well over 20 years old. Don't think they were a thing in those days.

Sometimes here, sometimes right in front of radio display. Even in this position it's not much further away than the TomTom on screen mount.
Passenger can muck about with it here very easily.

IMG_2632.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back