Satnav/dashcam plus many other things built in.

maingate

I follow a youtube channel called 'The London Dash Cam' and he has posted about a new satnav device he has been asked to trial called the Carpuride W103 Pro. It has a big range of applications over and above being a simple dashcam/satnav. I thought it might be of interest to some on here. The packaging included a picture of a motorhome, as well as cars and trucks.

This is a head unit that’s reliant on having a phone to provide either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for its apps.
I have quite mixed results using AA in my EV. It’s a bit of a faf

it is probably a lot better choice than a cheap dedicated Android head unit though because the cheap ones usually have insufficient memory and are dog slow.

worst thing with all touchscreen only units is they are so dangerous to operate whilst driving, even turning the volume down on mine is near impossible.

you can’t beat having proper knobs!

This is a head unit that’s reliant on having a phone to provide either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for its apps.
I have quite mixed results using AA in my EV. It’s a bit of a faf

it is probably a lot better choice than a cheap dedicated Android head unit though because the cheap ones usually have insufficient memory and are dog slow.

worst thing with all touchscreen only units is they are so dangerous to operate whilst driving, even turning the volume down on mine is near impossible.

you can’t beat having proper knobs!
Up until my operation I had a proper knob.

We have used Apple CarPlay with our Pioneer head unit in the motorhome for 4 years. It is so good we now use Carpuride units in both our cars for the iPhone navigation, sometimes Waze sometimes Google Maps. Both provide up to date maps and traffic.

After having my Android based Head Unit installed for slightly under 3 years now, I would without a doubt go for another similar unit rather than having something that relied on connection to a mobile phone.
This is the unit I have, running an extra app to give it a handy front end 'skin' giving big touch-screen buttons good when driving.

Android Head Unit
by David, on Flickr

Reasons why I like this (in no specific order):
  • Built-in Wi-Fi
  • Built-in Sat-Nav with GPS. Also can install and link to other Sat-Nav Apps or on-line options such as Google Maps, Waze, or whatever you like. I actually prefer my separate Garmin Sat-Nav, but I still can use the "Sat-Nav" Button on the Head Unit and have it configured to run "What 3 Words" as the moment.
  • Rear View Camera RCA/Phono connection.
  • Full choice of Apps from Google Play Store to allow me to run -
  • TPMS - Use large display to see Tyre Pressure and Temp with Alarms appearing if over set parameters
  • Home Assistant App - Can check electrical info, including what kind of current the Alternator is providing to the B2Bs
  • Audio Streaming - YouTube Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, and whatever others you like
  • Audiobooks - Audible
  • Local Stored audio - Got around 60GB of Music and Old TIme Radio recordings accessible via SD Card and/or two USB Sticks. Currently trying out PowerAmp Music Player to allow access (too much for the basic Andriod music player)
Basically everything you can do with an Android Tablet, but with an decent amplifier to drive car speakers, fitting and power connections - the regular kind of thing you expect from a car Head Unit.
With the front end skin and setup of the various apps, you can use the unit as clearly and safely -probably more so as you can choose and tune the apps you use - as any other 'infotainment' unit.

The only thing that is maybe missing is DAB. I decided not to go for a DAB unit as would have plenty of other choices anyway, but DAB is available on other Andriod Head Units.
Yes, a lot of that you can use via Andriod Auto but it is so much nicer not to have to rely on linking the phone. (I can use Android Auto with my car head unit so I have a comparison, but in truth there IS NO comparison :) )

@wildebus
I use the same skin, but the most important thing is your HU has a proper knob!
I don’t have one nor steering wheel controls for integration with the canbus interface and that’s a pita!

@wildebus
I use the same skin, but the most important thing is your HU has a proper knob!
It is handy!

I don’t have one nor steering wheel controls for integration with the canbus interface and that’s a pita!
something I fitted recently and am really liking is a stalk remote for the Head Unit. - specially THIS one - https://amzn.to/44XG9Gd

51tN2oMwXCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I think a large number of unbranded head units will support these simple wired remotes as the support is built into the Android OS used in the auto units. The buttons can be programmed to what you want and have dual fuction - short press and long press. For example, I have the Mute short press for muting, but if I long press it I can cycle through the EQ presets which is handy sometimes as some music does not suit some EQ settings.

I am very pleased I got round to fitting this as so handy to be able to skip forward on tracks and adjust the volume :)

Last edited:
We went out for our first day out in the new car today, plugged the phone in and got Android Auto running Poweramp, music playing straight, lovely, played fine all day until about 2pm, then it went awry, it would sit on pause, if I pressed play it started to play, then started flashing thought the other tunes then stoped on pause on a different tune, it did this several times.

Not happy with that, most frustrating on serious country roads around the lakes, Kirkstone pass etc, so I gave up.

I need AA on for Gmaps, so how can I play my music, do I need an app or will it see them on the phone I could get a splitter and put my thumb drive in but will I get Gmaps and the music or do I need to do something else.

@Pudsey Bear AA on my Phone can be flaky, I find often if I disconnect the USB cable when leaving the car and then reconnect when we return AA is greyed out and won't appear on our cars HU again until I reboot the phone.

@Pudsey Bear AA on my Phone can be flaky, I find often if I disconnect the USB cable when leaving the car and then reconnect when we return AA is greyed out and won't appear on our cars HU again until I reboot the phone.
I have found that I need to unlock the phone before connecting to USB for Android Auto to work.

We went out for our first day out in the new car today, plugged the phone in and got Android Auto running Poweramp, music playing straight, lovely, played fine all day until about 2pm, then it went awry, it would sit on pause, if I pressed play it started to play, then started flashing thought the other tunes then stoped on pause on a different tune, it did this several times.

Not happy with that, most frustrating on serious country roads around the lakes, Kirkstone pass etc, so I gave up.

I need AA on for Gmaps, so how can I play my music, do I need an app or will it see them on the phone I could get a splitter and put my thumb drive in but will I get Gmaps and the music or do I need to do something else.
Sounds like it's broke! Is it OE, under warranty take it back. I've Android Auto wireless in my BMW and it works seamlessly, with Google maps hard to beat IMO, better than BMW Route guidance. And like all on-screen tech, not suited to bendy roads. And i've got a volume knob 😀.

It does have volume control, and two stars on the steering wheel which can be set to control other stuff, I have regen on one for coming down the steep hills near us and the other for A/C.

I've ordered a USB splitter it should arrive today so I'll try Gmaps on one and the thumb drive on the other it'll either work or confuse it.

Watch this space.

Ok, so I don't use MY music stored on my phone to play on AA.
All my music I want I have loaded onto the BMW Hard drive. And stream everything else to play on AA
Ah, but if only we could all afford a BMW, ;) ;)

I have to work with what I have though Julian and it doesn't have a hard drive, or even a CD drive, all you get is a USB socket, I'm interested to see if the splitter works, I only ordered it as Liz is on Apply so we need a different leads and the cars socket is impossible to see the orientation so they can both be plugged in but only one used (it does have a 12v socket and a USB C socket) but they are not linked to the car at all, a bit dumb to be honest.

Ah, but if only we could all afford a BMW, ;) ;)

I have to work with what I have though Julian and it doesn't have a hard drive, or even a CD drive, all you get is a USB socket, I'm interested to see if the splitter works, I only ordered it as Liz is on Apply so we need a different leads and the cars socket is impossible to see the orientation so they can both be plugged in but only one used (it does have a 12v socket and a USB C socket) but they are not linked to the car at all, a bit dumb to be honest.
Well you on it, it wont be for lack of trying. We've got Android me, and Apple ,her, neither of us will change 🙄. It's all moved on a bit from Long wave

Back