Satellite Masts

Nosha

As quite a few of you have Sat' systems I wondered if anyone uses a home/house type dish?
I have a spare system, the dish and arm have been re-sprayed in white Hammerite and look very smart - however my question is has anyone found a neat way of mounting a pole/mast to the back of their M/H so you can drop it below roof height for travelling and then raise and rotate when parked??
I have a good compass and a sat' finder box which runs in series with the LNB so the signal should be fairly easy to find... any thoughts please??

Nosha said:
As quite a few of you have Sat' systems I wondered if anyone uses a home/house type dish?
I have a spare system, the dish and arm have been re-sprayed in white Hammerite and look very smart - however my question is has anyone found a neat way of mounting a pole/mast to the back of their M/H so you can drop it below roof height for travelling and then raise and rotate when parked??
I have a good compass and a sat' finder box which runs in series with the LNB so the signal should be fairly easy to find... any thoughts please??

Can't really help you on that one mate as mine is one of the automatic ones which raise up from a folding position on the roof for a picture then fold flat when you pull off.

Nosha said:
iv seen caravans on sites using home dishes,but not permanently mounted though,it would save messing around if it was fixed as you say,good idea nosha,those sat finders can be a pain though unless you got a digital one which lists which sat its locked onto,ours makes a screaching noise when you pass a satelite but it doesnt identify which one its on so we have had a few stressfull moments trying to get it to lock on the correct one he he he :D

billy1000 said:
Can't really help you on that one mate as mine is one of the automatic ones which raise up from a folding position on the roof for a picture then fold flat when you pull off.
your too posh for us billy he he :p

billy1000 said:
Not posh by any means Samm. Just a lazy blighter. Ha Ha.:p
now im sure thats not true..
i wish i had an automatic one....wow we have had a few probs locking on sometimes..you know it takes a while,we always get there in the end but we have been shouting,swearing,jumping up & down he he all to watch coronation st when your away he he he :D

No need for satellite or TV in the camper! Its nice to get away from the real world as that is what getting away from it all in a MH is about, is it not?

Re:Which Satellite?

I had sort of thought about the different sat's which is why I said I've got a decent compass. But what I don't know is what's on what... if you know what I mean?
I know all the Freeview stuff is on Astra at 19 deg East of South which I guess is 161deg South, but can it be found stronger/better/easier elsewere??

Nosha said:
I had sort of thought about the different sat's which is why I said I've got a decent compass. But what I don't know is what's on what... if you know what I mean?
I know all the Freeview stuff is on Astra at 19 deg East of South which I guess is 161deg South, but can it be found stronger/better/easier elsewere??
try this site for technical stuff

http://www.maxview.co.uk/acatalog/GUIDES.html

we use the crank up system,iv no idea on coordinates etc etc way over my head ha ha :D :D but we do find the correct sat eventually,we never use tv when wildcamping,we do have an inverter but we prefer to open a bottle of red and have a chat :eek: its amazing what you can find out about each other ha ha :D :D

Last edited:
Satellites

Thanks Simon & Sam for the links!

Sam, after 16yrs we know all there is to know about each other!! But sometimes after a bottle or two of red I do forget some of it... like her name etc!!

Nosha said:
Thanks Simon & Sam for the links!

Sam, after 16yrs we know all there is to know about each other!! But sometimes after a bottle or two of red I do forget some of it... like her name etc!!
ha ha ha ha ha
same here mate :D

camp t.v.

virgil said:
No need for satellite or TV in the camper! Its nice to get away from the real world as that is what getting away from it all in a MH is about, is it not?

i agree virgil . the best thing to watch are the flames of a campfire. i also love not having a clue whats happening with the rest of the world. total escapism

irenerobbie said:
i agree virgil . the best thing to watch are the flames of a campfire. i also love not having a clue whats happening with the rest of the world. total escapism

Our littlens take their Gameboys etc with us when away in the camper but usually only use them on the outward and inward journeys as most of the time ,if there is inclement weather, we will get the "old fashioned" board games out and have a whale of a time!

virgil said:
Our littlens take their Gameboys etc with us when away in the camper but usually only use them on the outward and inward journeys as most of the time ,if there is inclement weather, we will get the "old fashioned" board games out and have a whale of a time!
yes its fun playing the good old traditional games,we played cards at the weekend along with scrabble,while listening to the radio & sipping a glass of red...perfect :D

A tip I was given for setting up your dish was to forget the "so many degrees east of south."

Start with your dish pointing east and slowly turn it towards south.
The first sat you pick up is the one you want! It worked for me.

Voxy.

voxol51 said:
A tip I was given for setting up your dish was to forget the "so many degrees east of south."

Start with your dish pointing east and slowly turn it towards south.
The first sat you pick up is the one you want! It worked for me.

Voxy.
will put that to the test next time im on a site,cheers mate :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back