Satellite Dish On the Ladder

coventrycraig

Im getting a bit fed up of the status arials, intersted in getting a dish and receiver.

To have a nice set up is quite expensive (fixed on the roof of our Kontiki)

Has anyone mounted an extendable poled to the ladder with a dish on it?

So when your driving, the dish can go to a low position, when stopped for night it can be raised slightly and pointed the right way to get a picture.

Just an idea. didnt fancy packing a tripod and dish away on the ground, everytime we drive off.

Craig

ps any pics?

Im getting a bit fed up of the status arials, intersted in getting a dish and receiver.

To have a nice set up is quite expensive (fixed on the roof of our Kontiki)

Has anyone mounted an extendable poled to the ladder with a dish on it?

So when your driving, the dish can go to a low position, when stopped for night it can be raised slightly and pointed the right way to get a picture.

Just an idea. didnt fancy packing a tripod and dish away on the ground, everytime we drive off.

Craig

ps any pics?

I use a dish on a folding tripod just pop it out on the grass
works a treat its a old sky dish the arm with the LNb is unbolted
I just slide it in place when in use remove it to make it easier to stow

coventrywage... if you decise to go the dish and folding trypod route
let me know:)
... i have 1 that has never been used... complete with sat finder :cool:

regards;)
aj

One advantage of a roaming dish is that you don't have to compromise parking position v satellite location, very useful if there are trees around. Personally, regardless of cost, I would prefer a dish on a tripod to one fixed to the van.

Downside of your preferred set-up is theft ! Friends on motorhomefun had their maxview 'dish on a tripod' stolen overnight..... on a campsite ! I think that's close on £ 200.
I've got a redundant sky dish clamped to a redundant aluminium extending brush pole clamped to the rear ladder. This has worked as far south as St Tropez.
Allen

Thats what I was thinking wints.

dont suppose you have a couple of photo's we can see do ya?

Were usually only ever at one place for a night - so looking for an easy option.

regards

Craig

Hope the attached pics explain it a bit better. The pole was approx £ 10 from a hardware stall, jubilee clips & plastic pipe clips from builders merchant.
regards
Allen

Attachments

• DSC00138.JPG
    DSC00138.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00140.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00141.JPG
    DSC00141.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 107
Thanks Allen, thats just what im thinking of.

When you push the sateilite up higher and point it the right way, does it take long to align it with the sateiliete.

Do you use one of them meters?

thanks again.

Craig

Hope the attached pics explain it a bit better. The pole was approx £ 10 from a hardware stall, jubilee clips & plastic pipe clips from builders merchant.
regards
Allen
does it work at that angle:eek:

Thanks Allen, thats just what im thinking of.

When you push the sateilite up higher and point it the right way, does it take long to align it with the sateiliete.

Do you use one of them meters?

thanks again.

Craig

The receiver I use is the 12 volt comag (maplins, lidl, maxview...they're the same). It has an in built sat finder sound generator. I switch the system on, press favourites, press say bbc1 north west, I then can hear a loud low hum 'cause I'm not on the satellite. Open the rear window, then go outside and spin the pole a bit (use a compass to approx locate 28 deg E astra 2 sat). Within seconds (never more than 2 mins) the low hum turns into a high pitched shriek and gorden burns (preferably ranvir) will be talking to you.
I'm amaazed every time, it's that easy. Of course you have to have the dish at the right elevation. From leyland up to the lakes, and onto york I didn't alter it, but at whitehouse I had to elevate it by 1 degree.
A meter is usefull to prove that the connection are good, as it lights up or the arm deflects. This shows you are getting power from the receiver to the lnb and back.
There are a couple of steps I've missed out from above concerning switching on the comag sat finder but are simple to follow in the manual.

Allen

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back