Satelite reception

Toffeecat

Hi all.I recently bought a crank satellite system. I have a cello traveller tv with built in reciever. Fitted it fine read the instructions. Cranked up the arm to the correct angle after turning on the tv. Turned the sat to the angle indicated on the compass. The little light and sound satelllllite box lit up squeeled to say it had found astra 2 and lo and behold all was great. Except.......im up in Northumberland as i write. I tried aall this again
At first i got nothing. Then it picked up polish telly them it got german . Now it lists a thousand channels but it wont find emglish ones. The little box which indicates if you find a satellite lights up but the blue to indicate its found astra 2 doesnt light up. Is it locking on to another satellite?. Why when im doing everything i do at home is it mot working?. The damm telly seems to be on astra 1 for some crazy reason. I keep trying to get it on to astra 2 but the damm thing wont. HELP!

You are probably on 19E or Hotbird.Dish just needs a tweek to the left

Sadly it is now worse. Moved to another place. Now even though the little sat finder is squeeling im not getting any reception on any satellite. I did teeek it left right up down but it still wont pick up a satellite. Im getting pretty pissed. Grrrr.

My tv is one of those installed sat tuner and sadly I soon realised its draw backs. So I bought a modern freesat system, well worth the money. Don't want Sky just want to watch my area news and local channels when away.

if you can take the tv into your house and connect it to a dish if you have one then set the channels so when you are
looking for the sat it should show the channel ie bbc1 when the dish is aligned hope that makes sense

I'm afraid you just need to take your time it comes easier with practice if your on german channels 10° to the left if your behind your dish is Astra 2 If you've gone north from home your dish will need to be more vertically inclined don't move your dish to fast give it a chance to lock onto the signal

If the sat finder is continually squealing turn it down until it's not then try again when it squeals turn it down again until its just squealing with a slight movement of dish like fine tuning

Last edited:
I may have found a problem. Its not the satellite i think its the shite tv. Firstly who ever at cello thought it a good idea to put the satellite plug so close to the aerial plug that only a child with tiny fingers can change needs sacking. Anyway i reinstalled everything and again nothing. Then by chance i pressed down on the cable where it connects to the tv. The little red lights on the finder screemed into life and the blue light that confirms lock onto satellite lit up. Let go...dead. press it...blue light and noise. I fear my tv is crap and the connector worse than crap. To rule it out i think ill try and find a friendly motorhomer try their tv in my van. Anyone recommend a good tv and reception box.

. Anyone recommend a good tv and reception box.

A Maxview box it's got a built in sat finder with a quick response so you'll not need that squealer
+ a magic eye for remote meaning box can be hidden. There's possibly others with the same features but I've a Maxview which Im pleased with

Last edited:
Blow up your TV,
throw away your paper.
Go to the country, build you a home.
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own.

Wise words eh?
Hope this helps,

Pat

Don’t rely on a traditional compass to point to Astra at 28.2 as it may well point you to magnetic north which is around 9 degrees out and points you at German Astra at 19. Your TV will not specifically recognise English channels. It relies on transponders and frequencies and frequencies are duplicated from satellite to satellite and the TV will simply scan and find the channels at the frequencies for the satellite you are pointing your dish to at which may happen to be German or Polish.

If you get the English International SKY News channel and the BBC International News channel in English, not normal SKY news or BBC News, and all the other channels in German, you are pointing at Astra 19.

Had the same issue this summer when using a magnetic compass. Kept getting German channels. Being in southern France the angle between Astra at 19 and at 28.2 was only 5 degrees due to the more southerly latitude so closer together. I have a hand held satellite finder so was puzzled as it was set for Astra 28.2. Remembered I had a satfinder pointer app on my iPad and when using this discovered the error and was slightly out but only by an small almost indecernable angle. Turned the dish to the left very slightly and lo and behold UK channels appeared when scanning. Apparently is seems that Astra satellites share the same transponder and frequencies regardless of whether they are at 19 or 28.2 degrees so my satellite finder was unable to distinguish between the 2.

Lesson learnt after a weekend of head scratching. Use the iPad pointer app and not a compass to guide me to the initial direction. The further south and west you go the narrower the angle between the 2 Astras so pointing accuracy very important.

Could be the same issue if you go north and east so Northumberland could present similar proximity issues.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back