Sat Nav

Satnav

*****, not sure why Lat/Long is your top priority here? This type of waypoint is normally used with marine charts. On land its grid refs or location name, and of course post code. Check out these sites and also GPS Warehouse they might have the solution to your particular requirements...

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/index.htm

also this one...

http://www.pdamods.com/default.asp?

My first setup was with a Garmin marine gps connected to a laptop and running Microsoft Autoroute, works very well but as I said previously no voice commands.

Later...

grid ref

Journeyman said:
*****, not sure why Lat/Long is your top priority here? This type of waypoint is normally used with marine charts. On land its grid refs or location name, and of course post code. Check out these sites and also GPS Warehouse they might have the solution to your particular requirements...

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/index.htm

also this one...

http://www.pdamods.com/default.asp?

My first setup was with a Garmin marine gps connected to a laptop and running Microsoft Autoroute, works very well but as I said previously no voice commands.

Later...
Thanks, as I have said "I know zero:confused: about sat nav.
Maybe it is grid ref I need. The aire's are listed in degree & minute locations & not post codes. Can I now take it that these are grid references.
I am a nautical person & I just thought that these were lat/long. I presumed that they were/are the same

Waypoints etc

Can you send an example of a French Aire's listing? and how you want to apply this to a Satnav system?

Using Microsoft Autoroute I often dowload POI files and use a program POIedit. This produces longitude and latitude.
As I understand it that is the only system that gives you an absolute geographical pin point in any country. The raw output from a GPS receiver is in that format.
Post codes in the UK can cover, especially in rural areas, quite a large space. This is more so the case in France where one code can cover a whole town.
The OS uses a grid reference system unique to the UK: other countries have their own systems.
A POI file has at least three fields -longitude, latitude and information.

Example

Thanks folks.
The book lists the French aire's as following example:-
Calais GPS 50deg 57.55 N 1deg 50.32E
I have picked Calais for an example as near to home.
I will not be able to answer over the weekend as going to Carrog with M/H
Thanks again:confused:

***** said:
Thanks folks.
The book lists the French aire's as following example:-
Calais GPS 50deg 57.55 N 1deg 50.32E
I have picked Calais for an example as near to home.
I will not be able to answer over the weekend as going to Carrog with M/H
Thanks again:confused:

<------- Jealous!

Sat nav

We use tom tom 5 on our mobiles no problems.Used last year in france on a hp pda and worked fine .Regarding finding the french aires, just put in the location out of book, takes you straight to them ,alot are signed when you get near.Can not use long and lat on this version ,but they are some you can.

French aire's

Hi Gary & Folks.
Just having a cupa & a sandwich after giving the M/H a quick scrub.:(
I have used the French Aire's on many occasions and as u say they are signed up.;)
However sometimes we have had difficulty:eek: in finding them and just thought this would be easier,:cool: but do not want to spend much as I will probably never use it in the UK.

We use our satnav all the time when in the Mh and it has made travelling a lot sweeter as neither SWMBO or myself are strong at getting from A2B but having my satnav girlfriend (as the kids call her) has put a stop to the sarcastic comments etc across the front of the cab!

Sorry Virgil

***** said:
Eat ur heart out as I'm going camping.
Ha He Ha:cool: :p :cool: :p
Got to give the van a quick clean now!:mad:
Sorry Virgil, just thought that U probably can't drive at the moment.:eek:
Must be frustrating!:mad:

***** said:
Sorry Virgil, just thought that U probably can't drive at the moment.:eek:
Must be frustrating!:mad:

I started driving 10 days ago, its slightly painful but feels good!

we bought a tomtom its come in really handy,i used to be a coach driver so i should know my way around,but its proved to show me the quickest route....motorhome gets a bit muddy going off road though ha ha :D

Garmin

hillwalker said:
the garmin is a tool.
Hillwalker, U seem to know the Garmin.
I was thinking af the 660 but it apparently has no north marker.:eek:
The 360 has a north marker but a smaller screen:eek: .
What r ur thoughts?:confused: :confused:

I Think The 660 A Better Machine,but I'm Not Certain. Try Ebay For The Garmin.or Go In To The Garmin Website

Got it

hillwalker said:
I Think The 660 A Better Machine,but I'm Not Certain. Try Ebay For The Garmin.or Go In To The Garmin Website
Im in the Garmin site but just wondering as don't need all the goodies. Just want the navigation for Aires etc.:D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back