Sat Nav

I have never needed a Sat Nav system, however the new Camperstop guide for Europe has GPS positions in Lat /Long.
I have been told that many sat nav systems will not allow GPS locations & everything is done by Postcodes.
Can anyone confirm this.

Gps

Depends on the system you intend to employ. Most software will accept Lat/Long, OS grid refs, Post Codes, and Location names. Do you have a particuluar purchase in mind? You may be interested in checking out Memory Map which use very detailed maps. Ive had no problems however with the Microsoft planners, but they dont offer voice commands, which is definately a bonus if your co-driver falls asleep!!

My Medion system (Aldi!) accepts postcodes, names, GPS positions but don't know about Grid refs as never tried! Cheap system that like the ad says does everything it says on the box!

virg,that's braw family uv'e got...

Last edited:
Thanks Folks.
As I do not require a Sat Nav for my normal journeys, I do not want to spend a lot of money & I have heard of the Tom Tom, however I have been told that the Road Angel is very good.
The Camperstop book recommends the Garmin & comes with all of these sites pre loaded if purchased from the book sellers.
I was thinking of maybe & it's a big maybe as I normally use maps & have no problem, I may be tempted to buy a Tom Tom up to about £200 max.
However I would need to be able to enter Grid References in Lat/long.
If I cannot enter these grids then I could only buy the fully loaded system which costs £290 to £350 & I do not think I could justify this as I am a good map reader.
I only need a system for the last mile of any journey.
Any advice is welcome :confused: :confused:

***** said:
I take it, it is good:confused:
At the end of the day it all comes down to personnel preference I use tom tom 500 and i think its good, check out the ones you like and base your :) decision on whats right for you.

hillwalker said:
hey virg,do u not take any picts of semi naked ladies uu'm may that wood be better than the kite..

I did do when doing coursework (or should that be coarsework;)) for my qualifications and portfolios but these days all the finesse has gone from the art of photography as everyman and his dog with their Digicam think they can do the job!:(

*****, it's a good machine. it was one of the first,well before the tom tom the garmin gps has been out in the hills for years,good machine mate .go for it

lat/long

Trevor said:
At the end of the day it all comes down to personnel preference I use tom tom 500 and i think its good, check out the ones you like and base your :) decision on whats right for you.
Hi Trevor.
I need to know uf the Tom Tom will take lat/long input
Or any other makes as must take this type of input:confused:

Thanks

hillwalker said:
*****, it's a good machine. it was one of the first,well before the tom tom the garmin gps has been out in the hills for years,good machine mate .go for it
Thanks Hillwalker, I might!:D

***** said:
Hi Trevor.
I need to know uf the Tom Tom will take lat/long input
Or any other makes as must take this type of input:confused:
Yup it has lat/long but i have up dated to the most recent maps and i think thats when i got the lat/long option, never used it yet.:) ;)

Thanks again

Trevor said:
Yup it has lat/long but i have up dated to the most recent maps and i think thats when i got the lat/long option, never used it yet.:) ;)
Thanks again Trevor. I will look at it!:cool:

No probs I know its a hard choice to make and there are other sat navs with free safety cameras built in plus other stuff free as well it worth checking them all to see what you do or do not pay for.
If you have a GPS (Global Position System) device, you can connect it to your computer and import your waypoint and track data into Google Earth. Note that this set of features is available to users of Google Earth Plus, Google Earth Pro and Google Earth EC, but not the free version GARMIN is one that is compatible

Last edited:
Thanks again Trevor.
I know absolutely knoughing about Sat Navs as had no intention of buying one.
It is just the French Aire's that one would be handy for as some are well tucked away.
I must give it further consideration & check them out. Thanks

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back