Sat nav decisions

Just deleted and reinstalled Express, signed in and out of Garmin, no change. Can only update the software version, no map info available although it is running 2022.10 so there is a later version available at 2023.10

I'm guessing the anomaly between some 760's still updating and others not is the date purchased. There will be no difference in whether the device can handle map version 2023.10, so it must be an expiry date for the "lifetime updates" dependant on serial number/registration date.

I`d already tried uninstalling and reinstalling G.E. signed out, signed in, held my left leg in the air whilst singing Rule Britannia but nothing worked and my map is still 2022.10.

It was earlier this year when i was getting things ready for going away for the first jaunt abroad it seemed ages since i`d last had one of the big quarterly map updates so that`s when i looked into it properly.

Co pilot now working.
It only allows 1 instance and I installed it on tablet then phone.
Very quick response from support.
I have read hpw to import custom pois. Somewhat similar to TomTom using .ov2 files and suitable image correctly sized.
Not today .....Pc needed.
AND more reading as file location needs real care !
Using the Governor speed facility should give realistic journey times.
I have set this at 55 mph.
My cruising target and also French general limit on N roads.
First test tomorrow

That seems a good idea having a camera built into the sat nav. It'll save a bit of windscreen clutter. Are you able to put the vehicle dimensions into it?
Depends on where you are able to mount it , and viewing angle :)

Co pilot now working.
It only allows 1 instance and I installed it on tablet then phone.
Very quick response from support.
I have read hpw to import custom pois. Somewhat similar to TomTom using .ov2 files and suitable image correctly sized.
Not today .....Pc needed.
AND more reading as file location needs real care !
Using the Governor speed facility should give realistic journey times.
I have set this at 55 mph.
My cruising target and also French general limit on N roads.
First test tomorrow
You don't need a PC to install POIs ...

Like you I have used the Governor speed setting to improve journey time prediction. In my case I've set it to 50mph my speed limit on UK single carriageways.

The Garmin 780 MT specification states that safety camera information is included. For my 760 I have to pay each year for the annual update.

So the question is, for those who have the Garmin 780 MT, do you have to pay for safety camera updates, or is it just the first year that is included for free?

I haven`t had my 780 for a year yet but they are included free however for France they are classed as " Dangerous Zones " and included in the Cyclops data base, they worked perfectly well back in May (y)

I have the Dangerous Zones on my 760 too and don't pay for it.

We invested in a Garmin for trucks and I have to say it is very good indeed. I imported the POI sets and we tested it last weekend on a trip to World of Birds in the Central Belt. It took us straight to the spots and we ended up over nighting with the most fabulous panoramic view of Ecinburgh and the bridges.

So far very impressed.

B2

To properly test it you will need to know an area which would be difficult for the vehicle and get it to navigate there.

I'm surprised Google hasn't done more to it's software that would include vehicle details, who has more data than them.

The Garmin truck nav if its like my DEZL will tend to err on the safe side( main roads) with routing when truck is selected . They are very reliable for avoiding weight limits , height limits and mandated width limits but not so much with just narrow roads .

I have an old satnav but dont use it, why because I know where im going and how to get home, if you dont know how to navigate then best stay at home and watch tv. 😂

The last 2 mths in France I,ve just been using Google maps on my phone and have not had any problems. Brittany to Limousine, Auvergne an Dordogne. The best part is for any complicated route you can adjust your route to places of interest you,d like to visit on your computer an then send it to your phone.

I use myrouteapp.com to plan routes, as a free member you get access to Openstreet maps, Michelin maps and OpenCycle maps but if you pay the subscription it allows you to choose from a long list of maps including Garmin (Here) and Tom Tom so once the route is planned it can be easily loaded onto you stanav or you can use their mobile app to follow it. It started out as a planner for motorcyclists but is now suitable for driving, walking and cycling routes and they have said that height, weight etc will soon be available for trucks and motorhomes 🤞 They also have sales that allow you to pay for lifetime membership 👍

Regards,
Del

Can you elaborate on it please Del?
I started using it way back in 2013 for our motorbike trips in the UK and Europe, then it was aimed at bikers but over the years it's evolved into a decent navigation system. I upload my routes to my Garmin Camper (or Zumo) and if that's what you want to do you just need to add as many waypoints (silent, unanounced ones) as you possibly can otherwise your Garmin (or Tom Tom) will attempt to change the route acording to your settings, ie. fastest route etc. I'm only just starting out with the Android app but I like the idea of sitting at my laptop to plan a nice scenic route and then opening my tablet to follow and the app won't try changing it like the satnav does. I'm sure it's not for everyone and I've been using it so long I can plan a route fairly quickly but it's free to join and try so what have you got to lose? You can also add announced waypoints so your satnav can tell you when you've reached that part or place of your route. Once logged in you can save your routes, share them, add photos to them as you go along plus a lot more. Check it out here.

Regards,
Del

Thanks Del, I'll look at it tomorrow, my biggest issue nowadays is getting to grips with new tech or apps, This why I've stuck with Google maps, maps.me and CoPilot.

Thanks Del, I'll look at it tomorrow, my biggest issue nowadays is getting to grips with new tech or apps, This why I've stuck with Google maps, maps.me and CoPilot.
It's very similar to Google but the fact that you can choose from various maps and it's easily available offline is a big plus for me and despite following several Youtube videos and blog posts I've never been able to succesfully import a route planned in Google to my Garmins. They do have some good video lessons for you to follow, from beginner to seasoned route planner and there are lots of shared routes if your still on a motorbike. Good luck and let me know how you get on 👍

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back