Sargent 328 problem

molly 2

I have a problem with my sargent 328 system when I turn on the controle panel I can hear a noise like a pump running , it wouldn’t turn off using pump settings on controle panel , it sounds like the silly autosleeper filler pump not the water taps pump , .seems like the pump has turned on but won't turn off until I turn off controle panel

Last edited:
I have a problem with my sargent 328 system when I turn on the controle panel I can hear a noise like a pump running , it wouldn’t turn off using pump settings on controle panel , it sounds like the silly autosleeper filler pump not the water taps pump , .seems like the pump has turned on but won't turn off until I turn off controle panel
Can't imaging it would be anything other than the pump that would make a noise. When this noise is happening, if you open a tap, does the regular pump come on and water flow without also pressing the "Tap" button?
In the panel there is a setting to select External rather than Internal pump. I think both still need the "Tap" button switched, but could be worth checking that setting?
To check it is the pump circuit, you could pull the fuse for the Pump (can't recall which one it is, but it is marked on the box) and see what happens. It could be a short between the pump circuit and another circuit so it is incorrectly bypassing the relay that the "Tap" button activates inside the box, or the relay could have failed and stuck in an activated condition.

Quite a few possibilities, bit a few things can be done to eliminate various ones.

Thanks for info it is not taps pump they are much louder tanks are empty and function properly, autosleeper have a stupid pump system to fill the tanks it, sounds like it could be that you can turn the pumps of at the controls but it doesn't seem to work, switch the control panel off and it stops .hope that makes sense. I will try the relays .

Last edited:
The issue is probably not anything to do with the Sargent unit then if you don't usually have to use the pump button to turn on the tank fill pump.

When you turn on the control panel, all that is doing is energising all the circuits i.e. providing them with 12V. And then each circuit has its own control to say if that 12V is sentto the actual device. For example, the lights won't work when the control panel is off, but when the control panel is on, you still need to put the light switch on for the light to work. And if you left the light switch on (or it was stuck on), then turning the control panel on will turn the light on straight away.

So this pump for filling ... How does it know when to work? There must be a sensor or switch somewhere that tells it to start, same as a light switch turns on the light? All the Sargent control panel is doing is making the 12V feed to that control live. I would suspect the sensor or switch for that pump operation has failed in a closed manner and passing the 12V through.

Last edited:
The external filler starts the pump when you plug the filler hose into the side of the motorhome, so I presume it must have some sort of switch where the filler hose connects

The external filler starts the pump when you plug the filler hose into the side of the motorhome, so I presume it must have some sort of switch where the filler hose connects
I don't use the pump fill to fill tank ,I have a hose pipe that fits the drain tap and back fill .

I don't use the pump fill to fill tank ,I have a hose pipe that fits the drain tap and back fill .
you may not use it, but it is still there and available to use with all the switches and detectors in place to go wrong.

It reminds me of my VW T5 which had an Webasto Engine Pre-Heater. That suddenly started running of its own accord for no reason. some sensor or other obviously failed. I 'fixed' it by pulling the fuse.

Is the pump you refer to a Whale submersible pump on the end of a blue pipe which needs connecting to the external fill point on the van with the pump itself in a water container? If so it can only run if it’s connected so perhaps the noise you hear is the other submerged pump in your fresh water tank which sounds quite different if running when the tank is empty (and not recommended).

Rolled my sleeves up ,started by pulling out relays then fuses pulled the toilet fuse , it stopped got my magic hammer started tapping around the toilet it stopped . Result .

Is your system like this ? If so can you disconnect the electric supply at the pump, the bottom wire on the left ? Fast forward to 1.12

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back