Safety Warning Truma Heaters

• Thread starter Deleted member 2636
  • Start date

Deleted member 2636

from the Self Build Motor Caravanners Site

I would not normally post directly but this a serious matter and this chap does know what he's doing. This warning is most applicable to the DIYers amongst us

Hi guys,

now I'm not out to panic or worry anyone unduly but I've just done a two day course of training at Truma and an interesting point came to light that I think may be of serious interest to other self builders.

It would appear that a significant number of Truma "S" series heaters (these are the convector fire type heaters) have hit the second hand market which have come from water damaged motorhomes and caravans after last years floods. The problem is that the two halves of the heat exchanger are jointed with a clay based seal which is destroyed by water. If anyone is looking at buying one of these heaters ask if it has been subjected to water damage, if it has then DO NOT BUY IT, IT COULD KILL YOU!!!

The reason it could kill you is that if the burner was not functioning correctly it could produce dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) which would leak out of the damaged seal into the living area.

EXPOSURE TO CO IN QUANTITIES OF GREATER THAN 200PPM (PARTS PER MILLION) FOR MORE THAN ONE HOUR WILL KILL YOU!!!!!

If you are considering one of these heaters as a second hand purchase think carefully and if in doubt walk away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back