SAFETY WARNING: "THE CORKSCREW", Inverfarigaig, South Loch Ness.

scampa

On my recent happy wanderings around the Highlands I decided to spend a few days exploring around the shores of Loch Ness. Not wanting to miss anything of interest, I bought the local Ordnance Survey maps and a very useful guide book to the area, referring to them as I travelled around.

On the south side I travelled along the single-track shore road from Foyers to Dores several times. Between these two villages is the lovely, unspoilt village of Inverfarigaig, which has some good views of the loch (especially if you walk through the overgrown undergrowth to the old derelict pier), plenty of forest walks and a picnic site etc.

Of this "main" road (the B852) passing through Inverfarigaig, the guide book says "..to follow this road without detouring would be to miss some of Scotlands most spectactular scenery....". It later describes one of these alternative minor roads, known as "The Corkscrew", as "Definitely not for the faint-hearted, a narrow, twisty, unclassified road climbs steeply from opposite the houses near the shore....".

I've negotiated the more famous mountain passes such as Hardknott and Wrynose etc many times in the past (though not in this van) and earlier on this trip had travelled the drovers mountain-pass route to Applecross, along with some quite hairy cliff-top "roads" on all of Scotlands coasts, so I wasn't too worried about trying this for a change.... There was the sign saying "Not suitable for caravans or HGV's", but that's pretty standard on smaller roads, so I drove on.

When I reached the first bend, I got the idea that it was going to be too tight and too steep for my long-wheel-base, rear-wheel-drive van, and I needed a couple of attempts to get around and up it. I did think of reversing back down to the main road, but then I decided that it would be safer to carry on forwards and hope that it wouldn't get any worse.

The next steep hairpin bend wasn't any easier, and my fully-laden van was slipping and struggling to get traction. The sprinkling of wet leaves on the road didn't help. I inched forwards and backwards, trying to get around, but eventually lost all traction completely, so got out to have a look at my predicament. The reason that I couldn't move was that one rear wheel was hanging off the edge of the road, and one small tree that it had wedged against was the only thing that stopped the van from plummetting down the steep sides of the ravine!

It was at this stage that I remembered the monument that I'd just visited half a mile away, that marked the spot where a geologist had fallen down the ravine to his death (also in the handy guide-book!).

I had some self-rescue gear in the back, including hi-lift jack, traction-tracks, towing gear and tools etc., but couldn't get to them for fear of over-balancing the van and sending it over the edge! (The ending of "The Italian Job" with Michael Caine came to mind, where they are trapped in the coach overhanging the cliff!).

Deciding not to panic, I thought that I'd better inform the police so that they could close the road to prevent any other vehicles from trying to get through. The road is in woodland, so I wouldn't be seen by anyone until they got to my location. ... But of course, I couldn't get a signal on my phone, and before too long it would be pitch-dark!!

Now I know that other people use that pass without problems, and no doubt many of you may have travelled it in the past (I'm sure that one of you will have had a grandmother who used to drive a double-decker bus up it several times a day!), but seriously, my best piece of advice to anyone who isn't familiar with it is... DON'T ATTEMPT IT..... especially in a long wheel base, rear wheel drive, fully laden vehicle!! :scared:

Last edited:
Perlease! I cannot sleep, I will have nightmares, tell us what happened!

Scampa I am holed up on a campsite due to battery probs been here four days and bingo a bit of excitement enters my life VIA your post , I feel alive again, memories of roads, lanes, tracks travelled come back to me in glorious technicolour (and black and grey for the midnight sortie down a wrong turning on skye) .... and what do you do??? Leave me in limbo... tis just not on!! Tell, now!!

I'm really sorry, but the memories are too traumatic for me to tell the story all at once, and I haven't even got to the part with the helicopter, or the connection to Nessie yet!

Spending four days on a campsite sounds much scarier to me though! What's wrong with your battery, and can it be fixed soon??

Oh goodness I can't wait.. but it seems I am going to have to.
My leisure battery is either on its last legs or was knackerated after months without a hook up so I thought a few days on hook up would give a clue how poorly it was and if a transplant was needed , then come day three and we set off for a wee tootle round the lanes. Or rather we didn't set off a the engine battery was dead.. have now got hook up switched to charge engine battery but hope is fading... I will give it till your next installment and if after it I still have the confidence to drive anywhere I will try again . I thought my eberspacher was the prob but it working perfectly now ... just a shame nothing else is ...

Oh goodness I can't wait.. but it seems I am going to have to.
My leisure battery is either on its last legs or was knackerated after months without a hook up so I thought a few days on hook up would give a clue how poorly it was and if a transplant was needed , then come day three and we set off for a wee tootle round the lanes. Or rather we didn't set off a the engine battery was dead.. have now got hook up switched to charge engine battery but hope is fading... I will give it till your next installment and if after it I still have the confidence to drive anywhere I will try again . I thought my eberspacher was the prob but it working perfectly now ... just a shame nothing else is ...

It seems too much of a coincidence if both your leisure battery and vehicle battery come to the end of their life at the same time, unless you haven't used them both for a long time. Don't forget that the cost of a few nights on a campsite would soon go towards the price of a new battery!

Hope all turns out well for you! :)

oh scampa what a cliff hanger :scared::scared:....please post by tonight I wont have access to internet for ten days after tonight so you must ...I will have to cancel my trip if you do not spill the beans :sad::sad:..... gripping stuff !!!!!!

Bloody hell! I too am dying to know how on earth you got out of that!! BUt whats scary is how easily it happened, and if it hadnt been for that tree....???:scared:

Pah! Kimbo has good stories .... and she gives you an ending! :lol-053:

C'mon c'mon - what happened next?!

oh scampa what a cliff hanger :scared::scared:....please post by tonight I wont have access to internet for ten days after tonight so you must ...I will have to cancel my trip if you do not spill the beans :sad::sad:..... gripping stuff !!!!!!

Its ok Jac, i have internet, over the weekend, but he must post before Monday, Scampa you torment you, tell us what happened.

As we are on the subject of cliff hangers, we was in a little village on the East coast somewhere, it was new years day night 2010 when the temp had been -18 so the whole of Scotland was frozen, i had drove from Stonehaven and needed to get settled for the night, just couldn't find anywhere to park, eventually i saw a sign for a coach park, pointing up a large hill, i got so far up the hill when i hit black ice, the van started to slide sideways, my partner got out to try and dig some ice off the road, but it was thick black ice, i was now facing sideways, looking to my right there was a house, i could see right in their dining room, they were sat having their tea, we just sat and stared at each other for what seamed like hours, lol, wondering what to do, i looked around me and the harbour was just at the bottom of the hill, with no barriers :scared: the van was sliding further down, i was stuck, for sure, i daren't move anymore for fear of sliding in the drink, as all the road was thick black ice, anyway after a long stand and many minutes of fear, a load of locals came out of the pub, with spades and salt manged to get me facing a way where i could roll back down, they were used to silly tourists trying to get up the hill, :rolleyes2:

Wonder what Google Earth used to get up this...been down it on a bike.....equally scary!

SAFETY WARNING: "THE CORKSCREW", Inverfarigaig, South Loch Ness.

We'r waiting!!! It's my day off and now I am tied to my phone for the rest of the day checking for THE POST. Spill the beans, I'm guessing you survived lol

Oh Scampa I wish I hadn't read that! I'm feeling sick. I suffer terribly from vertigo and I can't even watch things like that in films. We've been up and down some terribly frightening roads in the Highlands and Islands in a car and I just have to close my eyes in some places, the idea of it in a motorhome - well!!!!!! Hurry up and get to the rescue, please please pretty please.

Waiting.... for both the next installment and the rac...most excited at prospect of next installment !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back