Rust spots after drilling/cutting bodywork

edina

I always try to remove the swarf after cutting a hole in the roof or side of the van, but I never get it all. The remaining bits rapidly form rust spots on the surface of the paint and are difficult to remove. I recently found this stuff which is magic; spray it on and the rust spots turn purple, have a brew then wash it off and all spots have gone. Probably been around for years, but wish I had found it sooner
IMG_20241013_085317_HDR.jpg

Yup, general type of product has been around for years :)
A popular and very pricey one is called "Purple Rain". I have the no-frills Autosmart version called simply "Fallout".
Apparently people who live close to railway lines have a good use for these products due to the iron shed from the train brakes? (just anecdotal there - I don't live near a railway line).

I always try to remove the swarf after cutting a hole in the roof or side of the van, but I never get it all. The remaining bits rapidly form rust spots on the surface of the paint and are difficult to remove. I recently found this stuff which is magic; spray it on and the rust spots turn purple, have a brew then wash it off and all spots have gone. Probably been around for years, but wish I had found it sooner
View attachment 136390
That was why I always advocated using a Jigsaw and never a grinder to cut the many holes on mine Chris, I also took the sold plate off so never got swarf scratches just two lines from the blade guide which would be covered.

1728810024673.jpeg

I use a jigsaw sometimes and they make swarf too.
Indeed, but they are much bigger & easier to see. I did try magnets, but the vibration made them fall off. I did wonder if the strip magnets might have worked.

In the end I had loads of that cheap thin plastic sheet for painting so made a cover for the inside and 99% of it went in there so less to find, and once all done I squirted oil down inside the cills to stop any rusting, the van still not had any welding so it seems to have worked.

Yup a jigsaw will produce swarf hot enough to damage paint (I regularly have to cut 300/400mm holes through steel painted panels for ductwork work wise)

Even using a jigsaw with fresh blade ....

I cover the actual cut area (and outside) with good quality masking tape ...to prevent damage from swarf and the jigsaws action

And below it with paper and masking tape to prevent marking from hot swarf ...

Once the hot swarf has damaged the panel it's too late IMHO ...and easily preventable with some simple prep work .

Yup a jigsaw will produce swarf hot enough to damage paint (I regularly have to cut 300/400mm holes through steel painted panels for ductwork work wise)

Even using a jigsaw with fresh blade ....

I cover the actual cut area (and outside) with good quality masking tape ...to prevent damage from swarf and the jigsaws action

And below it with paper and masking tape to prevent marking from hot swarf ...

Once the hot swarf has damaged the panel it's too late IMHO ...and easily preventable with some simple prep work .
With a 3.5m van roof, masking it all off is not practical and there will often be pieces of swarf which land outside the masked off area especially when working outside. I can also confirm that after using this stuff the paintwork shows no signs of damage.
As an aside, I started the thread to help people who may in future have such a problem, not as an 'I do it this way' one.

With a 3.5m van roof, masking it all off is not practical and there will often be pieces of swarf which land outside the masked off area especially when working outside. I can also confirm that after using this stuff the paintwork shows no signs of damage.
As an aside, I started the thread to help people who may in future have such a problem, not as an 'I do it this way' one.
Touch sensitive no ?....

I merely replied to try to stop people damaging their paintwork rather than trying to correct the damage afterwards ....
As someone that does it for part of his living

Few sheets of newspaper and a roll of masking tape go a,long way

Fell free to crack on as you see fit if YOU are happy doing it YOUR way .

I do wonder WHY I bother trying on here at times .

Last edited:
Surely other opinions matter too Chris and "I do it this way" is a help to others as there is always another way to most things, at least it's still on topic :D :D

View attachment 136390
I used something similar in the Rapido called purple Rain and it worked a treat recommended by someone on here.

Back