Run or stay

MOJO

Free Member
To start or not to start, that is the question.
Last winter I ran the van half hour stationary and sometimes on the road up to temperature each month. This question was raised by a forum member and I decided to follow advise he received for this winter. That is to better leave engine standing than just monthly starts to protect the exhaust system. Now I am confused as some think this is a mistake. Another point this winter is I can only run it stationary because of lockdown. Hymer 3 litre.

I think as it's been 3 months so far might wait for some sort of relaxation of lockdown 3/4 weeks maybe.

I start mine up every other weekend when I visit to check all is ok, not sure it that's the right thing to do, but is right for my wellbeing getting behind the wheel and dreaming of travel.

with son home from uni weve got 4 vehicles at home at the moment ...any that hasnt been used gets put on the rota for the weekly 20 mile round trip to the supermarket , so at worst they all get a good run once a month

Mine gets left for months on end. I occasionally have to move it if I get an oil delivery but it never seems to do it much harm. Ive had it 12 years now. I might give it a run next week though as its literally sat there since the end of August apart from being shuffled about now and again.

This thread prompted me to go and start the van as it's been a while and it's been very cold.

Pleased to report it started just like that and the battery was full of power.

Planning to take my MH for a run before the MOT in a few weeks, thinking home to Northumberland, then Dorset and back home, just to warm it through before the test

Most of the wear on any engine is in the first 2 mins of starting, letting engines idle not on load for long periods glasses the bores, taking it a drive every mth is by far the best as it will keep other thing working like brakes and g/box, remember if just starting on the drive the gearbox drive shaft is turning but the lower or lay shaft is not splashing any oil up round the drive bearings, best is drive it and get the use from it, to me its like someone buying a dinner and not eating it.

Last edited:
I have no idea if this is true but someone once told me that every time you start a big diesel engine in a motorhome it takes roughly 45 minutes to put that charge lost back into the battery. I just disconnect the negative terminal on mine when its left for months otherwise it eventually goes flat, I presume because of the old fashioned immobiliser.

I have no idea if this is true but someone once told me that every time you start a big diesel engine in a motorhome it takes roughly 45 minutes to put that charge lost back into the battery. I just disconnect the negative terminal on mine when its left for months otherwise it eventually goes flat, I presume because of the old fashioned immobiliser.

I've heard that as well Barry.

But when I have had a flat battery before and jump started a van, I have run it for 5 minutes to warm it up, switched it off and then it has started ok a few minutes later. There may be a different science behind that, I don't know.

About 40 miles drive to sort the battery out after cranking.

Really Trev?

Some people only drive 2 or 3 miles to work every day and don't suffer with flat batteries all the time. My missus only does about 20 miles a week and that's probably 4 or 5 journeys.

Really Trev?

Some people only drive 2 or 3 miles to work every day and don't suffer with flat batteries all the time. My missus only does about 20 miles a week and that's probably 4 or 5 journeys.
Cars these days have smart alts and much higher outputs than a few years back, still many have to charge them here, prob the cold dont help.

Cars these days have smart alts and much higher outputs than a few years back, still many have to charge them here, prob the cold dont help.

Hers is a 15 year old Peugot 207 Trev so not sure it would have a smart alternator?

Faults can occur when a vehicle is not moved apart from things like brakes rusting and sticking tyres getting flat spots I have on a few occasions had clutch plates seizing to clutch and flywheel I would start the engine press clutch and go through the gears about once a month I personally would give it a run .

Last edited:
My 03 nissan xtrail is currently doing 4 one mile trips a day plus several starts shunting trailer around the paddock , maybe gets a 10 mile run to supermarket once a week aswell..no problems with short run times flattening the battery.
If the loaded trailers hitched up lunchtime I'll come home for lunch in the 08 iveco van instead, not seen any battery probs with that either.

Longer runs do help by getting oils and coolant fully up to temp and circulating properly.

Couple of weeks ago I left the lights on on the nissan whilst in lidles , not even a click from solenoid so totally flat.....had to get aa for jump start,. Connected their jump pack and started straight away, no need to wait to charge. 10 mile run coming home , been fine on the short runs since.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back