Rowntree CC Site York

hurricane

Free Member
We are hoping to go to York Rowntree Caravan Club site at the end of next week and over Christmas. At present the site is closed due to flooding from the river Ouse.

Does anybody in the vicinity of York know if the water levels have fallen enough for the site to re-open soon or is it that bad that could it be closed for ages. I think the site closes when Terry Avenue access road is closed.

TIA :boat:

We managed to get 3 nights there last week just after it reopened after the floods.The river was high and over the banks on the opposite side of the river but ok on the campsite bank.
You can keep checking the river level here...Environment Agency - River levels station dataEnvironment Agency - River levels station data.When we were there the level was just below the ''flooding is possible''line.
The wardens keep in regular touch with the EA and take note of the forecast and the CC advise to ring the site direct before setting off in times of heavy rain and possible flooding.

We managed to get 3 nights there last week just after it reopened after the floods.The river was high and over the banks on the opposite side of the river but ok on the campsite bank.
You can keep checking the river level here...Environment Agency - River levels station dataEnvironment Agency - River levels station data.When we were there the level was just below the ''flooding is possible''line.
The wardens keep in regular touch with the EA and take note of the forecast and the CC advise to ring the site direct before setting off in times of heavy rain and possible flooding.

Thanks for that wakk44. The site is currently closed so the wardens are not answering any calls. Caravan club website says it is closed until further notice. Just wonder how long that would be or how bad it is so that we can make other plans.

Water does look very high on the Lowther Bar webcam. Farson Digital Watercams - Hi-def webcam on River Ouse, at York

Last edited:
Thanks for that wakk44. The site is currently closed so the wardens are not answering any calls. Caravan club website says it is closed until further notice. Just wonder how long that would be or how bad it is so that we can make other plans.

Water does look very high on the Lowther Bar webcam. Farson Digital Watercams - Hi-def webcam on River Ouse, at York

All I can say is that during the 3 days we were on site the river level went down significantly,the opposite bank walkway reappeared on the 3rd day and it went down fairly quickly.Having said that there was no rainfall at all whilst we were there.The warden did say that the ground was already saturated and it wouldn't take much rainfall to flood again as has happened.You've still got a week so there's a chance it could be open although the long range weather forecast for York doesn't look promising.A good move to put the reception and shower block on stilts.
XCWeather - Forecast for York

Hi mate, I live in york the site is still closed, ouse is back up again, don't look for the weather report for york as the rain we get doesn't bother the ouse watch the Yorkshire dales as 24 hours after they get rain we get the water trying to go down the ouse and the tide coming up from the Humber pushes it back to us, I will look at the site at 4:30 pm Tuesday and let you know as there is only 1 road in and out of the site and it runs alongside the ouse, let me know what day you ment to be coming and I will keep an eye on it all and let you know here, dave

Hi mate, I live in york the site is still closed, ouse is back up again, don't look for the weather report for york as the rain we get doesn't bother the ouse watch the Yorkshire dales as 24 hours after they get rain we get the water trying to go down the ouse and the tide coming up from the Humber pushes it back to us, I will look at the site at 4:30 pm Tuesday and let you know as there is only 1 road in and out of the site and it runs alongside the ouse, let me know what day you ment to be coming and I will keep an eye on it all and let you know here, dave

Hi Dave. Thanks for the very informative information. We are meant to arrive on Friday so hopefully the level will be down enough to gain access. I managed to phone the site today and although still closed they are hopeful it will open on Thursday. Terry Avenue is closed just now with sand bags which as you say is the only access although the site itself is clear. I've had the pitch booked for a year so don't want to cancel it and find it open the day after. Could always pitch up at Beechwood Grange for a day or two and see what happens.

Cheers mate. :wave:

Hi, been down to river today sand bags still in place but river is slowly going down, but had bad rain and snow on moors and dales yesterday so will keep an eye out for you and let you know when sand bags are moved, dave.

Only ever been at there at warmer times, hard to thing of it covered in water and then open again within a few days.

The wardens are not very good at answering the phone even when the site is open......they are lucky to have such a popular site so customer service does not rate very high.
Same as the shower blocks closing on cc sites at 10.30am for cleaning. The timing certainly not for the customers benefit.

Hi, been down to river today sand bags still in place but river is slowly going down, but had bad rain and snow on moors and dales yesterday so will keep an eye out for you and let you know when sand bags are moved, dave.

Thanks again Dave. Had a call from the wardens today to say that the site is clear but access road is still sand bagged off and they will not open until at least Monday. Kind of thinking about going to go to Beechwood Grange on the outskirts of York on Friday and see if we can move to Rowntree Park on Monday.

Be great if if you kept an eye out though and keep us informed.

Cheers mate.

Alan n Ros

Had a call from wardens this afternoon and the site will open on Friday. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Alan n Ros

Feel so sorry for the residents of York. Rowntree CC site today. So glad we could pack up and move away a bit higher.

Attachments

• blogger-image-1235147377.jpg
    blogger-image-1235147377.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 99
this flood is bad, i was speaking to someone from York earlier as for Rowntree , the CC have stated the site is closed for the foreseeable future.

Channa

We were lucky to squeeze in 3 nights at Rowntree Park between flood closures in early December.Looking at the pictures of York city centre it's going to be a while before things get back to normal again.It must be a constant worry living on a flood plain,something I have fortunately never experienced and I feel for those that are suffering right now.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back