Roof Vents

winks

Whist fettling the van after the assault perpetrated by my Romanian chums at the car wash, I've discovered that two of our three identical roof lights are cracked on one mounting screw. Don't know what make they are but they are dead rattly and very noisy in a gale. I think the cut outs are about 450mm square but I'll have to measure them tomorrow.

Has anyone changed their roof lights and found some that don't break the bank? I want three of them and have space to increase the cut outs to about 500m. They'll have to have fly screen and blind as well.

They were cracking before the van went into the car wash.

Cheers

H

Chances are that your lights are either Remis or Heki and are 400x400. If you can identify which model it's a fairly easy DIY job to drop in a replacement. Its essential to establish the thickness of your van roof BEFORE you buy them.

replacing 40x40 cms is quite easy . changing to 50x50 could be a LOT more complicated
Heki lights let in loads of light ,and include nets and blinds

pretty tough too , i once dropped one off the roof of a sprinter onto a concrete path ,and it bounced

Remis do two types across their 400x400 range. One type for caravans and one for motorhomes. The first has a permanent ventilation system that proves a little noisy when used in vans. Make sure you get the right type.

A bit of research across the range of both brands will undoubtedly turn up direct replacements for your existing ones. Could help by using the same screw holes or even saving money and just getting the "above the roof" bit and keeping your existing blinds and screens

I can't believe someone is not producing replacements for the these domes.

They are the type that have two handle and can pivot in four directions. The outer dome is made of really thin plastic and vibrates like mad in a breeze.
Our cut out in the roof is 480 x 480mm and the fly net and blind assembly is part of the main moulding that fits through the roof. Cant even see a makers name on them.

Couple of enquiries sent off to O'Learys and E S Hartley so we'll see what comes.

Cheers

H

That's the type I had the plastic get brittle so change to the later wind up type much better,
If that.s the one's you want try caravan breakers

That's the type I had the plastic get brittle so change to the later wind up type much better,
If that.s the one's you want try caravan breakers
s-l300.png
i

Well O'Leary's can't get them anymore so its beginning to look like a much more expensive change to 500 x 500mm cut outs.

Two of the three are goosed.

Cheers

H

This thread detail my experience of replacement:

I can't believe someone is not producing replacements for the these domes.

They are the type that have two handle and can pivot in four directions. The outer dome is made of really thin plastic and vibrates like mad in a breeze.
Our cut out in the roof is 480 x 480mm and the fly net and blind assembly is part of the main moulding that fits through the roof. Cant even see a makers name on them.

Couple of enquiries sent off to O'Learys and E S Hartley so we'll see what comes.

Cheers

H
something that might be worth considering - replace the skylight with a Maxxair Extreme Fan. That would be a massive upgrade on a basic skylight.

Check out the various Maxxair products here - there may be something to suit (including blinds to add on to existing skylights) - https://leisurevehicleservices.co.uk/maxxair/

Any manufacturer worth their salt would have their name printed/etched on the plastic. You might have to get up there but at least you would have a name to ggogle.

IMy large remis roof .light got smashed In fhe gails was wind up type no outer skin available the raising mechanism break for fun ,i got the full skylight for my autosleeper from autosleeper parts , first thing to do is find the hole size,

I managed to change the above roof bits on mine when the plastic cracked. Certainly a lot simpler the removing the whole housing and replacing it in the roof.
Same here just replace the dome done in a hr

Been all round the houses and settled on changing all three of them for £120 each delivered.

Won't be doing them for a while mind. Duty calls (support role for a talented sound engineer) which is a very moveable feast. I was planning to use mastic tape for bedding them down but the manufacturers, Fiamma, recommend Sika Lastomer 710 which I have also ordered.

These are the ones. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14447391...rentrq:aa2a5b641870a644bc68f6fdfffb71f6|iid:1

Cheers

H

Been all round the houses and settled on changing all three of them for £120 each delivered.

Won't be doing them for a while mind. Duty calls (support role for a talented sound engineer) which is a very moveable feast. I was planning to use mastic tape for bedding them down but the manufacturers, Fiamma, recommend Sika Lastomer 710 which I have also ordered.

These are the ones. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144473915602?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=777008&algo=PERSONAL.TOPIC&ao=1&asc=20220705100511&meid=7a8d9e8dab8f44acbce5381245ca3539&pid=101524&rk=1&rkt=1&itm=144473915602&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&algv=RecentlyViewedItemsV2&brand=Fiamma&_trksid=p2380057.c101524.m146925&_trkparms=pageci:2a213c95-e139-11ed-9c61-f2837aad12b3|parentrq:aa2a5b641870a644bc68f6fdfffb71f6|iid:1

Cheers

H
Does that means you have to enlarge the holes to fit?

Does that means you have to enlarge the holes to fit?
It does David but I’m not bothered about that particularly.

The roof of the Hobby is rock solid and a fine bladed jig saw will do the job. Ali, polystyrene insulation and 10mm ply over the roof lining. Going up from 480mm to 500mm square and plenty of spare space to be had.

Cheers

H

It does David but I’m not bothered about that particularly.

The roof of the Hobby is rock solid and a fine bladed jig saw will do the job. Ali, polystyrene insulation and 10mm ply over the roof lining. Going up from 480mm to 500mm square and plenty of spare space to be had.

Cheers

H
tape up a bin bag inside over the hole :) those polystrene beads spread all over the place when you attack it with a jigsaw!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back