Roaming warning between Barbate and Gibraltar

Moped

Just a warning for those in southern Spain near and around Gibraltar.

Surprised yesterday to discover that I had been linked to masts in Morocco rather than Spain and would have incurred significant costs had I used the phone whilst this had occurred.

This was flagged because I received a welcome to Spain message from my mobile phone operator and investigated what was going on.

The same issue applies regardless of whether you are using a UK sim or Spanish sim.

Lots of places on the west side of the Cherbourg peninsula where phone and router connected to Channel Islands networks despite having no Channel Islands roaming in my package (on a pre-pay SIM-only package, so no risk of excessive charges but unable to make/receive calls or connect to Internet).

We get that here between ulster and the Irish republic, very common as radio signals dont see borders.

OH MY, just realized i made a phone call to my neighbour, thought he was at home.....when he answered there was a lot of noise. ... apparently je was in a pub in DUBLIN of all places......think he was watching a football match in the pub............call made from my home phone.....wonder how much that will cost me.....UMMM

OH MY, just realized i made a phone call to my neighbour, thought he was at home.....when he answered there was a lot of noise. ... apparently je was in a pub in DUBLIN of all places......think he was watching a football match in the pub............call made from my home phone.....wonder how much that will cost me.....UMMM

Wont cost you anything more than it would normally. Traditionally unless they are on some kind of roaming plan they pick up the tab.

Just a warning for those in southern Spain near and around Gibraltar.

Surprised yesterday to discover that I had been linked to masts in Morocco rather than Spain and would have incurred significant costs had I used the phone whilst this had occurred.

This was flagged because I received a welcome to Spain message from my mobile phone operator and investigated what was going on.

The same issue applies regardless of whether you are using a UK sim or Spanish sim.
I'm approaching that area now so thank you for the advice.

I'll make sure to check on my phone which network I'm connected to, or maybe hard select a Spanish network before I get there. That's probably the better option.

I'm approaching that area now so thank you for the advice.

I'll make sure to check on my phone which network I'm connected to, or maybe hard select a Spanish network before I get there. That's probably the better option.
If you use a Spanish sim card and turn off roaming will this prevent any switching to a Morocan mast if you enter a dark spot in the Tarifa Bolonia Zahora Algeceras Gibralter area?

Might be worthwhile placing a UK sim into aeroplane mode and turning roaming back on as and when and check which service is being picked up before use.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back