Road Monthly Payments

Sharon the Cat

Last year when taxing Percy monthly our payments were £25.81 per month. I've just gone online to tax him again and the first payment is £5165!!
Is this maybe because of the timing and it's 2 months payments?

£5165.... Hopefully you have missed a decimal point

£51.65 sounds like two months (even though it isn't an even number). [ 2 x £25.81 = £51.62 and governments don't put prices bu 1.5p a month]
Isn't there anything in the receipt that tells you what time period is covered?

£5165.... Hopefully you have missed a decimal point

£51.65 sounds like two months (even though it isn't an even number). [ 2 x £25.81 = £51.62 and governments don't put prices bu 1.5p a month]
Isn't there anything in the receipt that tells you what time period is covered?
Oops yes - £51.65.
I posted so promptly, always ready to whinge, that of course the next page made it clear, it's 2 months. I must have always taxed nearer the beginning of the month before.

Oops yes - £51.65.
I posted so promptly, always ready to whinge, that of course the next page made it clear, it's 2 months. I must have always taxed nearer the beginning of the month before.
As you know, pay monthly and you pay extra due to interest (I pay this way as well). That extra 3 pence might be interest due to no payment taken in first month? (just a thought on why numbers didn't add up).

As you know, pay monthly and you pay extra due to interest (I pay this way as well). That extra 3 pence might be interest due to no payment taken in first month? (just a thought on why numbers didn't add up).
Thank you, it was the size of the first payment that worried me, because I didn't wait for the confirmation of all payments.
We always pay this way now, when we get home we cancel it unless we have something definite planned for the next month. When we first bought this motorhome it sat on the drive not moving for months because we were living in it, and it was taxed all the time. :eek:

Thank you, it was the size of the first payment that worried me, because I didn't wait for the confirmation of all payments.
We always pay this way now, when we get home we cancel it unless we have something definite planned for the next month. When we first bought this motorhome it sat on the drive not moving for months because we were living in it, and it was taxed all the time. :eek:
I've always taxed mine for twelve months with a single payment and SORNed for any monthly periods when it won't be used; prompt refund by payable order sent out by post and immediately paid into my bank account by scanning in banking app. Seems the cheapest option.

I've been taxing our fleet by direct debit since the DVLA introduced it ...(especially the landrovers
Makes it easy to sorn/de-sorn vehicles depending the usage they are getting ...

Yes its a little more expensive BUT a very convenient method

I can't remember how it works, but if you change a vehicle to being SORNed, does the Tax DD automatically stop? or do you have to cancel the DD as well? (or you do it to make totally sure?).

I can't remember how it works, but if you change a vehicle to being SORNed, does the Tax DD automatically stop? or do you have to cancel the DD as well? (or you do it to make totally sure?).
They cancel the DD, I never bother. But, it may be a bit slow depending on when you SORN (e.g. end of month) then they will take an extra month, but they do refund it.

I always do six mths after my mot then one year after that, means i get year & a half from a test.;)
I used to stagger the tax and insurance like that in the days when I really didn't have the money for both.

Mind you I never put the car on monthly payments for either in case I lost my job suddenly. I'd still need a car.

No you don't ! The ANPR systems in the jam butty cars know when the MOT expires.
They are giving them a by ball here at the moment and not prosecuting because of the very long tailback, I have a letter from the mot centre stating this, and you can continue to drive on, also you cannot get a test here unless you have a smart ph and credit card, 25% or more of older folk dont have either.

They are giving them a by ball here at the moment and not prosecuting because of the very long tailback, I have a letter from the mot centre stating this, and you can continue to drive on, also you cannot get a test here unless you have a smart ph and credit card, 25% or more of older folk dont have either.

Why do you need a smart phone Trev? You can book it online from your PC.

Why do you need a smart phone Trev? You can book it online from your PC.
Yes i can, but many here dont have a pc, im going to do mine soon, ready for summer, big problem with pc booking is the date, on the smart ph you can see what he/she has got avalable and pick your slot, no abble to do that on pc, and it could be half way around any depo in the six counties.

I pay ours all in one go and will do it as soon as the reminder comes in on or about the 5th April ready for 1st May.

Don`t bother with SORN then it`s good to go at a moments notice, better start saving up now for the £165 fee for PHGV :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back