Road Maps of Europe

David & Ann

I am finding it difficult to get Road Maps for all Countries in Europe, especially, Spain, France and Portugal. I have several maps, but not detailed where even the tiny villages or towns are NOT shown. Is it possible to get individual maps, say Spain, and I get all the towns and villages shown on the Map. I have tried Michellin, no luck.

Hi David & Ann,
It is no problem at all to get detailed maps showing even the smallest villages in Spain, France & Italy as I have them all.
I would very strongly recommend that you buy them locally in each particular country as much better than maps that you will buy here.
Town and village names will be spelt the same way as you will see them on sign posts.
Where to buy you may ask? At most garage forecourts!!
The Spanish one will also cover Portugal.
Cepsa, Campsa and Almax are all good editions for Spain/Portugal, mine cost me about £15 in 1992
Michelin are good for France but you will need the large scale edition with every village and bridge heights on. ( Atlas Routier) 3 mile to 1 inch, cost me 110ff in 1992
My Italian map is tucked away but no problem to get hold of one.

you wont get better advice than this from ***** its all you need

If you travel with a laptop why not get a computer based map. I use microsoft which is 2 discs covering the whole of Europe and cost £8 off Ebay. You can zoom in for very detailed mapping, you can also use it as GPS with a big screen, bit heavy on juice on gps though.

A slight whine about M/S Autoroute. When the package first came out it came on 3 floppy discs. It had two map projections on it, Raster and Vector. Now one of those, and I cannot remember which one, gave an almost OS type map and was a great thing to have.
Now it comes on two CDs and that feature has been withdrawn.
I regard that as a retrograde step

Below are a couple of examples of the sort of places that we had to find while driving a large articulated truck:D
IMG_2037.jpg

Above are Vineyards in France
IMG_2040.jpg

Above are Factories in The Basque area of Spain:D

gosh just like looking at my own collection of old maps i had in my cab
sorry to say when i gave up hgv most were dumped
i regret it now they were not only usefull but held a lot of memorys

IMG_0003.jpg

Different routes taken in an area well known to us:cool:

know it well a part of my old route on the n10 from cherbourg to spain via bordeaux i used to stop at angelume for first night we still stop there now and again

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back