RIP some good parking spots in Seaham :(

mariesnowgoose

img_1_1712211961536.jpg

Thing is, it's not just people with campers/motorhomes that will be affected.

Apparently many of the locals are up in arms about it because it will have an impact on businesses in the town.

Another story of cash-strapped councils trying to bring money into their coffers, but shooting local businesses in the foot at the same time?

IMO, the usual way people from outside the area travel to Seaham is by private vehicle.

It's a bonny little place, but blink and you'll miss it. Plus it's on the County Durham coast ****! - hardly your highbrow bucolic touristy hotspot - and many people who bother visiting there aren't exactly flush with money.

Personally I think parking fees will act as a deterrent, not the get-rich-quick scheme the council may think it is.

Who knows? I could be way off mark in this increasingly monetised world 🤷‍♀️

It's a bonny little place, but blink and you'll miss it. Plus it's on the County Durham coast ****! - hardly your highbrow bucolic touristy hotspot - and many people who bother visiting there aren't exactly flush with money.

I don't know the place Marie but it sounds like the kind of place I might have visited as I'm not into touristy hotspots.

Love that word though, (now I've Googled it) I'll try and work it into the conversation in the pub tonight just to see the confused look on my mates face. 😊

I don't know the place Marie but it sounds like the kind of place I might have visited as I'm not into touristy hotspots.

Love that word though, (now I've Googled it) I'll try and work it into the conversation in the pub tonight just to see the confused look on my mates face. 😊

Rob, it's the little County Durham coastal harbour town that hosts the First World War soldier sculpture called "Tommy".

Has a couple of pretty good chippies and a cracking ice cream shop (y)

imageresizer.jpeg

14386603509_af288100c3_z.jpg

onecms_b9aa7ed7-5780-484b-9774-d0cfb4c7141a.JPG

Noses Point car park has been a weekend favourite with "vanners" for years, this will be a real nail in the coffin for many.

We went there for the day last summer to meet up with Trixie88 and her daughter Mandy just shortly after we picked our van up to give it a test run.

It has been a favourite (and handy) local weekend getaway spot for Mandy for quite a while I believe :(

Article yesterday from local rag Sunderland Echo:-

“The six Seaham seafront car parks where you must now pay after parking charges came into force (15th April 2024)

Durham County Council says the charges will benefit the environment.*

Drivers have started forking out after controversial charges came into force at six car parks at Seaham seafront - and visitors are being warned of the changes.

Previously free-to-use parking bays now cost £1 an hour or £3 to park all day, every day between 8am and 6pm.

The six car parks are Vane Tempest, Terrace Green (beside the Tommy statue), Dock Top (opposite Bell's fish and chips), Nose's Point, Seaham Marina and the Seaham Hall car park (which surrounds the North Beach coffee bar).

The charges also apply now to vehicles parking on North Road.

Durham County Council originally planned to introduce the charges on Easter Monday, but put the introduction back to Monday, April 15.

The change is proving controversial with opposition Labour councillors, businesses, and Seaham Town Council all opposed to the move.

Coalition-run Durham County Council says the charges will benefit the environment, the local economy and lead to more considerate parking.”

* 🤷‍♀️🙃

Back