Restoration of Autosleeper bottle rack?

mariesnowgoose

So there is some rust on the 3-bottle metal wall rack in the (daft!) cocktail cabinet in our old Autosleeper.

Is there any way I can refurbish this/tart it up without spending a fortune?
Neil has removed it for me (only 3 Phillips screws to take out) and I've washed and scrubbed it with some stainless steel washing buds.

The end loop has quite a dollop of rust on it and is v. difficult to scrub off.
(Don't quite have the strength in my hands I used to last year)

Was thinking wire wool might do the job?
I know I've got some somewhere, but f-knows where that is in the Black Hole of Calcutta that is 'tool storage' in the garage! 😡
Suppose I can always get some more if needed...

The question I have is this - is it possible to respray with some kind of paint once I've managed to remove the rust and get it as clean as possible?

What is the best way of going about this, or will I be wasting my time trying? :unsure:

Doh!
Clean forgot to put the piccies up!

Obviously someone has been careless in the past and dribbled some booze down the side of a bottle before putting it in said rack, then obviously leaving it there for a while until it started to rust! :LOL: 😄

Cocktail cabinet bottle rack-01.jpg

Cocktail cabinet bottle rack-02.jpg

Cocktail cabinet bottle rack-03.jpg

Spray it with some silver wheel paint, or any silver paint, it won’t look chrome but should look ok

Thanks! (y)

Not bothered one bit about it looking chrome, just want to get it looking clean and smart-ish with the rust removed

Thanks! That look the business and not overly pricey, better than the one I've posted above (y)
Maybe not worth me trying to tart up the old one after all ;)

There again, might have been better spending the money on an actual bottle of booze instead...? :LOL:;)

£13 - don't suppose that'll buy much to drink these days?
Anyroad, it'll come in handy for other non-alcoholic bottles as well (y)

It will cost you nearly as much for a rattle can. (y)

'Zactly what I was thinking when I saw the price of a new one.
Didn't make it worth the effort, which is shame as I hate not being able to restore/refurbish stuff if at all possible.

only saw the first pic the others look like that it has been attacked with the rust maggots, toss it in the bin girl.

Had them in my last van ,the problem was they were screwed to the pretend wood and pulled of when I removed a bottle ,hopefully yours will be more securely fitted .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back