Replacing halogen bulbs with LED equivalents

Gadabout2

To reduce the power drain on my leisure batteries I want to replace the filament and halogen bulbs (a mixture of 5W, 10W and 20W bulbs) in the accommodation part of my van with LED equivalents. The initial outlay seems to be quite costly, but they should mean I can wildcamp for longer periods without the batteries going flat. There seem to several possibilities:"Warm White", "Cool White" or "Day White". Has anyone any experience of these that they could pass on please?

i used warm white for lounging area and cold/day white other areas at home
not got round to so the MH yet.

HI we use warm white in the MH as I found the other whites too glaring !

I use 5 x GU10 smd types in the main ceiling and normal GU10 led bulbs under the cupboards etc the smd type produce lots of light all 5 use about 1 amp total

Prices are not too bad on E-bay

Get just one or two of each to make up your mind if you like the warm white (about the same as Halogen in colour) or bright white.

We prefer the bright white and I would definitely say it is better in the kitchen area and bathroom.

Get just one or two of each to make up your mind if you like the warm white (about the same as Halogen in colour) or bright white.

We prefer the bright white and I would definitely say it is better in the kitchen area and bathroom.

Have done exactly the same. Bought one each and compared. Warm white was too yellowish and bright white was too bright, hahaha. I decided to put the bright ones in the bathroom and the warm white in the living area.

To reduce the power drain on my leisure batteries I want to replace the filament and halogen bulbs (a mixture of 5W, 10W and 20W bulbs) in the accommodation part of my van with LED equivalents. The initial outlay seems to be quite costly, but they should mean I can wildcamp for longer periods without the batteries going flat. There seem to several possibilities:"Warm White", "Cool White" or "Day White". Has anyone any experience of these that they could pass on please?

speak to the chap at aten lighting
http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-lighting.html
[he sent us samples to try before buying any we opted for normal white
Alf

Last edited by a moderator:
just a little tip,i had some leds that were a bit blinding so went over the glass with granddaughters yellow felt pen ,sorted

just a little tip,i had some leds that were a bit blinding so went over the glass with granddaughters yellow felt pen ,sorted

Good idea :)

If you can still get yellow headlight paint, that would be more permanent ...

We ordered some from Hong Kong on e bay. Were recommended to on this site, do a search on LED lighting and might find it. They were much cheaper than the ones in this country and have been great.

We put "warm white" over the bed and bright white in the sitting area, kitchen and loo. At last i can read in bed as the original bulbes were OTT!!!

Oooops dodgy keyboard

Thanks everyone, I'll work on it and let you know how I get on.

I have been gradually trying to replace the lighting in my 'van to LEDs since I bought it 18 months ago.
For some crazy reason we have a total of 22 lights of different sorts throughout the van!!! These are the lights that come with the van from new, not added afterwards!!! Absolutely crazy!!
There are 8 halogen downlights, and 5 other lights just in the rear section of the habitation area alone!!
No wonder I was having leisure battery problems!
Since our purchase of the 'van, we have changed a lot of the lights to LED, but the best change was to add a 5m long row of 300 LEDs on sticky backed connection, fitted behind the pelmet at the rear of the 'van. The LEDs cost less than a tenner (from China) and give plenty of light for most situations.
SL730166.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back