Replacing a faulty Speed Sensor on 2004 Peugeot Boxer

spigot

My Speedo on 2004 Peugeot Boxer is not recording.
My Auto-electric guru has ascertained after tests that the speed sensor is at fault.
With great difficulty I managed to work it out but had to push it back immediately as oil started to flood out!
As this sensor is located low down in the gearbox it would seem that the oil would have to be drained out to facilitate removal.
Problem is, how to refill the gearbox oil??, I’ve noticed videos using a pipe & funnel, but where do they put the pipe in??
Anyone out there done this??
Any advice gratefully received.

I thought they were a cable drive on the old models, and the drive was the level and fill point.

The only way to fill the gearbox on my 2002 Boxer is by removing the reverse switch which is easily accessible on the top. I think mine is about the last of the cable-driven speedometers. There's no way of measuring how much oil is in there, so you'd either have to put in exactly the same amount as removed/lost, or completely drain it and hope you can find out how much that particular gearbox is supposed to contain

The only way to fill the gearbox on my 2002 Boxer is by removing the reverse switch which is easily accessible on the top. I think mine is about the last of the cable-driven speedometers. There's no way of measuring how much oil is in there, so you'd either have to put in exactly the same amount as removed/lost, or completely drain it and hope you can find out how much that particular gearbox is supposed to contain
I thought they were a cable drive on the old models, and the drive was the level and fill point.

My 2004 Peugeot Boxer is Not cable drive.

My 2004 Peugeot Boxer is Not cable drive.
I suspect that the gearbox will be the same as mine, in which case the fill point will be at the reverse switch. When my speedometer failed it was due to a nylon gear wheel slipping out of place on the driveshaft. My investigations found that it was a common fault and affected both the earlier cable drives and the later electronic sensors. I think the difference between the two is just the external fittings

My 2007 fills thru the breather which is on the top front of the gear box behind and to the left of air filter difficult to see but easily located by feel circular plastic aprox 20mm which turns easily then just lifts off fill with hose an funnel 2.4 ltrs from memory

I replaced our 2003 models sensor with an ebay 406 one (the same and 16 quid at the time) back around 2013, I don't recall any refilling required, it was probably a quick swap over with minimal loss. Been fine since.

Bought a speed sensor on Amazon £7.99. The official one from Peugeot £160.00. (Bit of a difference).
Got local garage to install it, £37.00. Couldn’t be arsed to get underneath the van again, getting a bit long in the tooth for all that!
Speedo now working.

My 2007 fills thru the breather which is on the top front of the gear box behind and to the left of air filter difficult to see but easily located by feel circular plastic aprox 20mm which turns easily then just lifts off fill with hose an funnel 2.4 ltrs from memory
Breather low on the LHS black with cap removed
IMG_20230914_115752667.jpg

Bought a speed sensor on Amazon £7.99. The official one from Peugeot £160.00. (Bit of a difference).
Got local garage to install it, £37.00. Couldn’t be arsed to get underneath the van again, getting a bit long in the tooth for all that!
Speedo now working.

Sometimes Mike it's just worth biting the bullet and getting a mechanic. Always worth asking on here though.

Glad you're sorted mate.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back