Replacement bed slats

made a bed for the grandsons bedroom specific size reqd got a whole sheet of 12mmm marine ply used a hole cutter 3/4” holes at 3” staggered centers still strong enough to take my 17 stone weight and breathable ,
Did the same, but with 19mm ply, 600mm x 4ft 🤐, with 30mm breather holes. After increased shoulder pain and a new pain in the lower back, I changed it to new sprung slats.

I must be the odd one out here, solid top bunk bed with storage under it, no mould etc and i rather like a solid hard bed.
bed 2.jpg
bed 3.jpg
bed 4.jpg

On boats I have owned Del, I have used either holes in the ply or carpet lining glued to it to reduce any build up of condensation.

There is a product called Dry Mat which is a sort of mesh insulation, but again expensive.

On boats I have owned Del, I have used either holes in the ply or carpet lining glued to it to reduce any build up of condensation.

There is a product called Dry Mat which is a sort of mesh insulation, but again expensive.
My Truma heater is under the bed at the bottom end so I was going to have a piece of solid ply cut to size and shape with holes above the heater so I still have the heater warming up the bed area. The heater is the most used piece of equipment in my van, I don't like being cold even in the summer 😁

Regards,
Del

another method i have used is to use a solid ply top with battens fixed to it , running in whatever direction allows air to circulate . the biggest problem seems to be foam mattresses , they cause sweating and i reckon this is what causes damp and mould .
but whatever the cause ,ventilation is the answer.

I think my Hymer bed was flawed from the start :cry: because while I've been looking at improving it I've noticed that all the double beds at Ikea etc. (and even Froli) have two lines of slats, one for each person :) which when using the spring type wood makes sense, each person is lying on the "springy" bit of the slats (y)
However my Hymer has only one set of "springy" slats across the full width of the bed, which means you would have to lie in the centre of the bed to be on the "springy" bit :( and to top it all there's a centre bar down the full length so the "springy" bit bottoms out anyway 🤪 So I'm thinking that I will either see if I can put slats each side of the centre bar or go for something solid with either the dry mat Robmac mentioned or some holes in it. In an ideal world I'd have something solid with the Froli star system on top but I'm struggling to find them at a reasonable price :cry:
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions so far (y)

Regards,
Del

Reactions: REC
Understood. Would it be possible to use the centre rail to support two separate rows of slats? Most double beds using this sprung system do this. All depends on the width of the bed, I suppose. Anything under 4’6” could be problematic ☹️

Understood. Would it be possible to use the centre rail to support two separate rows of slats? Most double beds using this sprung system do this. All depends on the width of the bed, I suppose. Anything under 4’6” could be problematic ☹
The only problem I can see is that the centre rail may not be wide enough unless I stagger the slats which I'm not too sure is a good idea :(

Regards,
Del

Would it be possible to fix the slats on the outside edge and overhang the central rail by 5cm ?

For slats to be inline, with the correct centre holder you can possibly get away with a centre support 1" wide, although 1 1/2" would be ideal. Staggering the slats should be no problem and would definitely work with a 1" wide centre support.
What you do need to be sure of, is the centre support up to the job? At the moment it is possibly not taking the full load, just 'helping' when the slats sink.

My son has a piece of ply that I will put on top of the slats just try and see if a solid piece would be comfortable enough, I'll let you know tomorrow morning ;)

Regards,
Del

• Funny
Reactions: REC
My son has a piece of ply that I will put on top of the slats just try and see if a solid piece would be comfortable enough, I'll let you know tomorrow morning ;)

Regards,
Del
I think having a mattress directly on top of a solid piece of wood could create problems with damp and mould?
If you do want to use a solid base and the bed is fixed, check out the Froli Bed system which gives good bouncy support and also allows airflow underneath.

I think having a mattress directly on top of a solid piece of wood could create problems with damp and mould?
If you do want to use a solid base and the bed is fixed, check out the Froli Bed system which gives good bouncy support and also allows airflow underneath.
That's the system I've been looking at or the Dry Mat that Robmac suggested (y)

Regards,
Del

The only problem I can see is that the centre rail may not be wide enough unless I stagger the slats which I'm not too sure is a good idea :(

Regards,
Del
Can you add wood to make centre rail wide enough

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back