Renting out a motorhome

Robmac

A friend of mine has asked me for help in sourcing a motorhome, budget £60-70k.

He plans to hire it out for 10-12 weeks a year and use it himself the rest of the time. Does anybody have any experience of doing this? and can he expect a reasonable return?

Thanks in advance.

There are various companies that act as renting agents for MH's, if any of them are like Yescapa I would rather pour acid into my eyes than deal with them.
There could be some good ones but I would recommend due diligence in the first instance.
As for private rental, you takes your chance.
We could have earned good money on the two NZ trips, 6 months and 7 months away but it was the thought of some idiot abusing the mh that put us off.

I wouldn't rent out mine, mainly cause I use it most days, but if I did it would be through an agency, like camplify or quirky campers, must be many others. Think some of them have a calculate earnings tool on their sires

I reckon I am very careful, respect other people’s property, and I would not rent one out to me. You only have to look at how some of these chancers behave to put you off. No our van is for our use only, certainly not some idiot who has never driven a van before, and cant spell any word with more than four letters.

Thanks all, pretty much confirms my own thoughts really.

He doesn't need the money by any means so I will advise against.
Tell him to buy a motorbike and rent it to you for a £1 a week, seems a good deal to me. 😂

Thanks all, pretty much confirms my own thoughts really.

He doesn't need the money by any means so I will advise against.
I have found a good customer for your mate Rob.

IMG_1707.jpeg

With just one van, what happens to the next booking when it comes back damaged and can't go straight back out? Think he will find insurance astronomical also.
Agree 100% .
Also a major breakdown or accident miles from base.
Spare parts taking weeks to arrive
Maybe several upcoming punters trying to sue.

We did 2 swaps.
The 2nd swap trashed the awning.
Ok they funded the repairs. But extra strengthening steel plates were needed.
So cosmetic degradation

Nightmare scenarios are endless.
Remember it is not a case of IF but WHEN.
Nay Nay and thrice Nay.
Ps i suspect that the companies that hire out have a. network with others who might help if they can.
But it would all cost !!!!
Remember as well 50% of renters will be inexperiinced in driving a large vehicle.
So minor skirmishes on narrow roads will occur.
Parking as well

So six birth or 2 ?
Hay I can only use 4 letter words but 3 letters are is tax from profits 20% or 40% . So stay away from that.
They pay the insurance if driven
£80.000 will buy a nice 1 = £200 + derv a day + insurance ad driver for delivery to site £ 4000. A week nice

Now Glastonbury van parking is at shepton with 24 hour shuttle bus. My mate wink wink has our van 5 days ans I get his car !

So six birth or 2 ?
Hay I can only use 4 letter words but 3 letters are is tax from profits 20% or 40% . So stay away from that.
They pay the insurance if driven
£80.000 will buy a nice 1 = £200 + derv a day + insurance ad driver for delivery to site £ 4000. A week nice

Now Glastonbury van parking is at shepton with 24 hour shuttle bus. My mate wink wink has our van 5 days ans I get his car !
Im lost. :unsure:
Tax dodge maybe.;)

What does he do if it comes back damaged. He can hardly rent it to the next person, so does he just cancel their rental and that's it. It's hardly fair. Damage can take weeks to repair. The people who are renting are probably just trying it for the first time.

What does he do if it comes back damaged. He can hardly rent it to the next person, so does he just cancel their rental and that's it. It's hardly fair. Damage can take weeks to repair. The people who are renting are probably just trying it for the first time.
Thats why car/van rental co have always a few spairs in the yard just in case.

Not as profitable as one would think,
Insurance runs at £250 per month and lots of repairs costs ,and most booking are for long weekends.
At 140/160 per day . Only having one van it goes out twice a month..

Our daughter has tried it .it's no

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back