Removing pulley for Fiat 2.3 cambelt change.

colinm

Am slowly working through changing the cambelt on our 2011 2.3 Ducato, I've hit a snag. Have undone the bolts holding the big double pulley which drives the auxiliary belts, it has detached, but can't get it off over the bolt in end of crankshaft as it hits chassis. Have looked at removing the bolt from end of crankshaft, but that's not wanting to move, and I'm not sure it should be removed, the (very poor) manual I have simply says undo the 4 bolts and remove pulley. Without pulley removed the plastic belt cover looks like it can be undone and pushed aside, but that looks like it would be very difficult to work behind the cover in a limited space.
Any ideas from those who have done this apart from persevering with bolt in crankshaft?

According to this post on the Fiat Forum you have to lower the engine to remove the pulley

According to this post on the Fiat Forum you have to lower the engine to remove the pulley
BiL wondered if that was way to do it.

Trolley Jack and a bit of wood onto the sump and undo the mount on the Tbelt side of the engine and lower or Jack up whichever is easier. Well done for giving it a go👍

Yes was having a look this afternoon, the engine mount is designed for lowering engine out the bottom. Tomorrow will be at Peterborough, sometime after that will be collaring BiL to give me a hand, being only able to lie on one side is a PITA for a job like this.

Fiat have updated their instructions. If the van has aircon, it is permissible to remove the compressor from its mounting. Tie it out of the way to prevent any strain on the connections, and use a pry bar between the compressor mount and the chassis rail to lever the engine slightly to the nearside. No need to touch the engine mount. There is enough movement in the mounting rubber block to allow sufficient deflection. I did this when I changed my timing belt a couple of years ago and it saves a lot of work. The engine only needs to be deflected by a couple of millimetres to give sufficient clearance to remove/refit the pulley. I taped a thin sheet of perspex to the chassis rail where I rested the pry bar and in front of the pulley so as not to damage the paint, but I'm a bit fussy like that!

Whilst I was at Peterborough BiL did just that, although he also had to move a pipe going to A/C which prevented the plastic cover coming out. Since then I've locked crank and cam and removed pulleys and belt, but I've run in to another problem, the SKF kit seems to have wrong bolt for idler pulley, instead of a stretch bolt it's got a HT bolt and washer, I'm awaiting call from Euro Car Parts technical dept on this.

No bolt supplied with the Fiat (Dayco in a Fiat box) belt kit. I had to order it separately. From memory, the aux tensioner pulley does come with a bolt though 🤔

The SKF website shows a picture of supplied parts which includes pulley with bolt in situe, and that bolts looks just like the Fiat stretch bolt, but the supplied bolt is 10.9 with smaller flange, and a washer to make up difference, if Euro Car Parts/SKF don't come up with one I'll order elsewhere.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back